70s-80s bands/albums: essential remasters, re-recordings, 5.1 or live sets - Page 2 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 15-12-2010, 11:51   #21
souvlaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I'd not heard this - do you have any details?
I have the reissue from a couple of years ago and my original vinyl too. Not heard there was another version...

Edit: From reading Wikipedia I'm not sure there was really a re-recorded version of this album. It looks like there was a lot of ******* around with the track order for US releases (due to some contentious lyrics) and some alternate mixes of tracks (which I already have). From a bit of research it doesn't look like there was any particular input from Adam Ant himself though.
Oh dear - I may be talking rubbish.

Dirk was (and still is) my favourite album of all time. When I was a kid I saw the American version at a record fair and bought it as it seemed different and I didn't know anything about it. On playing it, it sounded rubbish and I was told it was a re-recording, but I never looked into the details. I was under the impression that Marco had recorded all the guitar parts for that release.

I do however remember a singe of Physical having a reference to DoIt and it being re-recorded. Same with CarTrouble, so I guess I put 2 and 2 together and made 11.

Last edited by souvlaki; 15-12-2010 at 11:52.
souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:11   #22
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlaki View Post
Oh dear - I may be talking rubbish.

Dirk was (and still is) my favourite album of all time. When I was a kid I saw the American version at a record fair and bought it as it seemed different and I didn't know anything about it. On playing it, it sounded rubbish and I was told it was a re-recording, but I never looked into the details. I was under the impression that Marco had recorded all the guitar parts for that release.

I do however remember a singe of Physical having a reference to DoIt and it being re-recorded. Same with CarTrouble, so I guess I put 2 and 2 together and made 11.
"Eat your heart out Do-It" was quite a bitter little comment because (IIRC) he'd had a spat with them and was getting successful after they'd parted ways.

Pretty sure the American version of Dirk was chopped to bits and partially remixed but it wasn't a re-recording.

You're right though - it's the best album ever made
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 08:27   #23
Slender
Trusted User

Paul Di'Anno (the first Iron Maiden singer) has rerecorded most of the songs from the first two Maiden albums on his album The Classics - The Maiden Years.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 18:07   #24
NitramJohn
Trusted User

Twisted Sister rerecorded their 'Stay Hungry' album, as they thought the original production wasn't heavy enough. This was with the orignal line up.

Motorhead also rerecorded their Orgasmatron album. The was with the current line up

Though not an entire ablum, Kiss recently rerecorded some of their classics with their current line up.

“A wise man may appear ridiculous in the company of fools”
NitramJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 18:10   #25
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Another one. Ten Benson re-recorded an albums-worth of their tracks for a 'one take' live album (Danger of Deaf), which is a ridiculously epically loud record.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 17-12-2010 at 18:10.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 02:37   #26
Dear Mr Echo
Mind your head...

The Associates recorded two significantly different versions of The Affectionate Punch album.
Quote:
From Wikipedia
The album was remixed and re-released 1982 by order of the Associates new record company Warners. The remixed record retained all the old tracks but were given typical 80's production values such as new synthesizers and Billy Mackenzie re-recorded some vocals. Both Mackenzie and Rankine expressed distaste with the results. For years this was the only version available on compact disc as the master tapes for the original had been lost. However a duplicate was found and the album was reissued by Virgin in 2005.
The band Cracker rerecorded a best of album to head off their former label, Virgin, for putting one out.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:44   #27
Guest 7607
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Another one. Ten Benson re-recorded an albums-worth of their tracks for a 'one take' live album (Danger of Deaf), which is a ridiculously epically loud record.
I was just coming in to say that! Love that record.
Guest 7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LouBarlow (22-12-2010)
Old 22-12-2010, 12:54   #28
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
Paul Di'Anno (the first Iron Maiden singer) has rerecorded most of the songs from the first two Maiden albums on his album The Classics - The Maiden Years.
I didn't know that. I may have to have listen to those
GregB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:01   #29
SteM
Just Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdf View Post
The Wonder Stuff seem to be re-recording their entire back catalogue at the moment! Both Eight Legged Groove Machine and Hup have been re-recorded and released.
Both well worth picking up if you like the originals.

Edit: they also played Hup live in Birmingham last December and released that on CD and DVD so Hup was re-released twice in the space of 12 months.

Last edited by SteM; 23-12-2010 at 09:04.
SteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:38   #30
bigman
Trusted User

Didn't the reformed Spandau Ballet put out an album of re-recorded versions of their greatest hits last year? I think it was called 'One More Time'.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:27   #31
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,033 Posts
10-year bump!

(Didn't think it was this old!)

I already have the DTS/5.1 reissues for Depeche Mode and REM - excellent they are, too. But I recently heard the REM albums in HD-Audio and they sound much better, even on my modest setup.

I've bumped this thread and re-edited the original post. Any re-issues/remasters/5.1 albums you'd consider essential ? And any live sets that have blown you away with their audio?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote