Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Bargain Forum

Old 29-09-2011, 06:43   #21
rosbif
Trusted User

Thanks cj. I also downloaded the latest paperback Reacher novel by Lee Child, 'Worth dying for' for £3.19 which is a price I don't mind paying

Worth Dying for - Lee Child

Last edited by rosbif; 29-09-2011 at 06:46.
rosbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:47   #22
compa
Trusted User

The Affair Lee Childs latest book should have been launched yesterday

Here

Last edited by compa; 29-09-2011 at 08:59.
compa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
mclh (29-09-2011)
Old 29-09-2011, 09:11   #23
mclh
Innocence Taker

I guess the new pre-ordered keyboard-less Kindle should go here too:

New Kindle! £89.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:46   #24
H Dot
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbif View Post
Thanks cj. I also downloaded the latest paperback Reacher novel by Lee Child, 'Worth dying for' for £3.19 which is a price I don't mind paying

Worth Dying for - Lee Child
Cheers mate been waiting for this to come down in price
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 19:50   #25
mclh
Innocence Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by compa View Post
The Affair Lee Childs latest book should have been launched yesterday

Here
£7! Ouch!
Old 29-09-2011, 20:36   #26
compa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclh View Post
£7! Ouch!
I know it's not a bargain just that it the latest pointing it out to
Rosbif previous post about worth dying for
Old 30-09-2011, 08:33   #27
mclh
Innocence Taker

Quote:
Yeah I know, but was just disappointed the new release on digital format competes price-wise with the hardback version! Less than £4 and I would have bought it straight away!

Edit - £6.64 now...

Last edited by mclh; 30-09-2011 at 08:34.
mclh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 09:33   #28
rosbif
Trusted User

Quote:
I did say the latest paperback Lee Child!

Last edited by rosbif; 30-09-2011 at 09:34.
rosbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:07   #29
compa
Trusted User

Quote:
Yeah I know, but was just disappointed the new release on digital format competes price-wise with the hardback version! Less than £4 and I would have bought it straight away!

Edit - £6.64 now...
I remember contributing to thread on the forums about Amazon pricing e books I read somewhere that the publishing houses insisting that ebooks be as close to the paper books as possible in there price.

I do believe this is a mistake when the price is high people start looking else where e.g. Music overpriced I paid £16 for my first cd in 1987 I also remember in the press of the time that the jewel case cost more to make than the cd it's self 50p !
Dire straits commented it was far to high a price.
Old 30-09-2011, 17:46   #30
mclh
Innocence Taker

Quote:
I remember contributing to thread on the forums about Amazon pricing e books I read somewhere that the publishing houses insisting that ebooks be as close to the paper books as possible in there price.

I do believe this is a mistake when the price is high people start looking else where e.g. Music overpriced I paid £16 for my first cd in 1987 I also remember in the press of the time that the jewel case cost more to make than the cd it's self 50p !
Dire straits commented it was far to high a price.
I agree that everyone has to make a living, but with no printing or distribution cost they're making money hand over fist - taking the michael really...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58   #31
ellispa
Trusted User

Quote:
I agree that everyone has to make a living, but with no printing or distribution cost they're making money hand over fist - taking the michael really...
I completely agree with this. The only extra thing we need to factor in is that ebooks do attract VAT, but I look forward to the day when ebooks are treated like digital copies of DVDs, and given away with hard backs and audiobooks.

They don't seem to have factored in that when I buy a 'normal' book, I can read it there and then. With an ebook, I need an e-reader and a internet connection in order to take advantage of it. That should be reflected in the price, as should the reduced costs of production (what costs?!?).

Having said all that, it is a massively growing area, although my Ipad is currently full of free and really cheap books. If I was going to get a new book, I would buy the physical copy first and foremost.
ellispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08   #32
Guest 1814
Trusted User

If only they were close in price. I'm finding that 90% of the books I've looked to buy lately are £2 more on Kindle, new or old. Very dangerous game because in the case of digital downloads there's a much stronger way of showing your discontent than merely not buying if you don't like the price.
Guest 1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20   #33
compa
Trusted User

Ellispa have you seen the overdrive app for the IPad it works quite well there is a app for the Kindle but only in the US at the

http://overdrive.com/#1
Old 01-10-2011, 17:16   #34
ellispa
Trusted User

Quote:
Ellispa have you seen the overdrive app for the IPad it works quite well there is a app for the Kindle but only in the US at the

http://overdrive.com/#1
Looks really interesting, that. It doesn't seem to list an Libraries in Wales, though, so am not sure whether I can download anything. Worth exploring, further, though.

Cheers
Thanked once by:
compa (02-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 21:00   #35
Guest 1471

Quote:
Book manufacturing and distribution costs less than you think. They account for <15% of a physical book’s retail price.

Eliminating those costs doesn’t let you go on to sell the book for pennies.

The remaining costs are the substantial ones: acquisitions, royalties, editorial development, copyediting, design, cover art, cataloging, sales, marketing & merchandising, credit, collections, accounting, legal, tax, back office etc.
Plus ebooks have their own costs: Digital preparation; currently, there are about six major formats. Quality assurance; once the publisher gets the eBook formatted for a particular eReader, he then has to make sure that each of the major eReaders renders the pages correctly. Digital distribution; You should self publish an ebook if you think this bit's not hard work ; )

While it's possible to short term price an ebook very cheaply you are effectively loosing money, just as you do when you remainder a book rather than pulp the stock.

It can only be done longer term in two cases: with books that have already made back their money (back catalog, though for most of those the last three stages still have to be done and will take longer to pay for themselves since sales will be smaller.) And with books that are borderline vanity published. There's a thriving number of these on Amazon for 79p+. Some are quite decent but I don't think that long term they'll replace more fully developed and 'professionally' published authors, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong...

Last edited by DCH; 01-10-2011 at 21:01.
Guest 1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25   #36
ellispa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
Book manufacturing and distribution costs less than you think. They account for <15% of a physical book’s retail price.

The remaining costs are the substantial ones: acquisitions, royalties, editorial development, copyediting, design, cover art, cataloging, sales, marketing & merchandising, credit, collections, accounting, legal, tax, back office etc.
Plus ebooks have their own costs: Digital preparation; currently, there are about six major formats. Quality assurance; once the publisher gets the eBook formatted for a particular eReader, he then has to make sure that each of the major eReaders renders the pages correctly. Digital distribution; You should self publish an ebook if you think this bit's not hard work ; )

While it's possible to short term price an ebook very cheaply you are effectively loosing money, just as you do when you remainder a book rather than pulp the stock.

It can only be done longer term in two cases: with books that have already made back their money (back catalog, though for most of those the last three stages still have to be done and will take longer to pay for themselves since sales will be smaller.) And with books that are borderline vanity published. There's a thriving number of these on Amazon for 79p+. Some are quite decent but I don't think that long term they'll replace more fully developed and 'professionally' published authors, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong...
Great post. I must admit that I was a little dismissive of the work that goes into getting a book ready for print/ebook distribution. However, there is no excuse for an ebook actually costing more than the print version, as is the case often for new and recent releases on Amazon. Than might be the VAT issue, but from a user perspective, more is more whether it is tax or not. Clearly the government should remove VAT on ebooks as well, but I can't see that happening when it is a nice new revenue stream in a growing market.

I still think that publishers should follow the BluRay model, whereby DVDs and Digital copies are included in the package. I may well want to own a book because they look pleasing on a shelf, but would appreciate the convenience of having that book on an ereader if I decide to go on holiday. At the moment, I would have to buy the book twice to do that, which is not realistic.

Sooner the publishing houses embrace this new technology, the better - they seem a bit archaic in their thinking at the moment, instead of looking ahead. With every hardback book I buy or audiobook I download or purchase, I should get a copy of the ebook as well. I will never pay full price for a new book as an ebook, as no matter how good the kindle and Ipad are, I prefer having a physical book to hold more than the convenience of having more books in the palm of my hand.
Old 02-10-2011, 19:17   #37
mclh
Innocence Taker

Quote:

That got me thinking and I found this:

http://journal.bookfinder.com/2009/0...ook-costs.html

This is broken down here:

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/05/03/...ok-publishing/

as:

Quote:
Book Retail Price: $27.95.

* Retailer (discount, staffing, rent, etc.) – $12.58. That’s 45%.
* Author Royalties – $4.19. Exactly 15%.
* Wholesaler – $2.80. Exactly 10%.
* Pre-production (Publisher) - $3.55. That’s 12.7%.
* Printing (Publisher) – $2.83. Translates to 10.125%.
* Marketing (Publisher) – $2. That’s approximately 7.15%.

Note that the 3 Publisher Costs add up to approximately 30%.

There doesn’t seem to be an entry called Publisher Profit.
Old 02-10-2011, 22:58   #38
Guest 1471

Quote:
There doesn’t seem to be an entry called Publisher Profit.
Yeah, no sane person would start up in publishing these days. To be frank, I'd say the same for being a writer, unless you are simply driven to do it and can accept probably being relatively badly paid.

I sort of think there's a blip right now where you'd be better off publishing your own ebooks if you're fairly talented or already have a bit of a name for yourself. There's probably as good money in that as in writing TV tie ins, romance, or arty literature.
Old 03-10-2011, 18:59   #39
mclh
Innocence Taker

Quote:
Yeah, no sane person would start up in publishing these days. To be frank, I'd say the same for being a writer, unless you are simply driven to do it and can accept probably being relatively badly paid.

I sort of think there's a blip right now where you'd be better off publishing your own ebooks if you're fairly talented or already have a bit of a name for yourself. There's probably as good money in that as in writing TV tie ins, romance, or arty literature.
Selling your first major creation for free seems like a cracking marketing tool - if you're a good writer creating good material then the readers will buy subsequent titles...
Old 03-10-2011, 19:36   #40
Guest 1471

I'm not sure free is the right price. But less than a quid, yep.