Going to watch Buffy and Angel - any particular order? - Page 5 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 19-05-2015, 18:17   #81
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
Really looking forward to LeftHandGuitarists opinion on The Body. One of the best episodes of Buffy if not one of the best episodes of any tv show ever.

I want to watch it now.
I never understood the love for this episode, I can understand the subject and dealing with in a sensitive way. But it does not make for a good episode of TV.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 02:17   #82
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,318 Times in 658 Posts
It does require the context of the rest of the previous 5.5 seasons to work. But I suppose that is also the point of serialised storytelling.. the power of the episode is earned because of what you've watched before.

... on a lighter note.

These gals. Yup. Love 'em! #whedoncrew

A photo posted by Clare Kramer (@clarekramerofficial) on

scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 12:10   #83
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Last night I watched what I think is the best thing I've seen in the Buffyverse so far. That being the double episodes of 'Darla' and 'Fool For Love'.

If I had any mixed feelings over how great a character Spike was before, this absolutely kicked them to the curb. It's a daring move to actually make me actively dislike Buffy, the character the damn show is named after. Her brutal put-down of Spike ("you're beneath me") absolutely hit him where he hurt most and made me cry out in shock.

Spike is an incredible creation, and his backstory only made him stronger. Knowing that he had the soul of a poet before he was a vampire makes his relationship with Drusilla make more sense (the fact that he's clearly always had feelings of love for her, while all along we were told that vampires have no souls). And his relationships with previous slayers are clearly a matter of huge importance to him as he wears trophies of his two kills (the scar across his eye, and the leather coat).

The best part was the very end though as Spike approaches Buffy with his shotgun. James Marster's face made the smallest change from pure hatred to a moment of pause, to concern. Wow.

It also shows how weak a character Angel is in comparison. They're both tortured souls in their own way, but Spike's is a thousand times more relatable.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 13:07   #84
SIMON ADEBISI

"My heart expands, its grown a bulge in it, inspired by your beauty effulgent"

SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 13:11   #85
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,318 Times in 658 Posts
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 13:21   #86
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

I will say I went to a Buffy Convention un London in the 90's with 3 other friends. The 2 girls wanted to go so I tagged along with my mate who was going out with one of the girls and we all knew each other. The Girls got signed photos from Spike and Anthony Head was there doing a Q&A with some of the cast. Not something me and my mate would have gone too on our own but dragged along too but it last from 10am-11pm with a ball in the evening.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 11:39   #87
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

'Into the Woods' was a tough watch, finally giving us the inevitable Buffy/Riley breakup that was telegraphed a long while back. Didn't make it any less painful to watch. Can't help but feel that Buffy was the bad guy here, and she managed to come to that realisation too late. Surprised and delighted that it was Xander who made her see that.

On a side note, I love Glory.

Meanwhile on Angel, what the hell is going on with him? He's gone dark, but he's not Angelus. There were a run of episodes in which he was trying to save Darla which made me feel incredibly morbid, and that culminated in Drusilla turning her into a vampire again after all!

Still, the biggest shock was Angel locking the doors and letting Darla and Dru kill the lawyers from Wolfram & Hart. And then he fires his friends. Really not sure where this is all going, but he's clearly not quite all there. ('Reunion'/'Redefinition')

I'm enjoying both of these shows still, although the tone of both of them has changed considerably. (I'm hoping it doesn't go full Farscape. By the third season of that the characters were utterly inconsistent with anything that had been shown to us before and changed from week to week, making for messy silliness.)
Old 31-05-2015, 08:22   #88
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

On Buffy, I just finished 'I Was Made to Love You', and all I can feel is how mean people are being to Spike. It doesn't feel justified, because it's gone beyond playful putdowns and the main characters are now just being outright cruel (Giles in particular). Spike has clearly changed from being a pure evil vampire, so the Scooby gang's treatment of him seems to only highlight their ugly sides.

Anyway, the episode ended with Buffy finding Joyce dead on the sofa. That was shocking in how stark it was, but the moment that set me off was Buffy calling her "mummy". 'The Body' is up next.

I don't know what's going on with Angel. He's totally embraced being a jerk to the point where I'm uncomfortable watching him interact with Cordelia and Wesley. He just slept with Darla and the show seemed to suggest that Angelus had woken up again, but I think it's a fake-out.
Old 01-06-2015, 13:20   #89
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I watched 'The Body' yesterday and it's taken me a while to collect my thoughts.

It was a harrowing episode and I both loved and hated it. Taken by itself, it's an episode where nothing really happens. The entire thing is characters reacting to the event and taking their time to do it. Taken in the context of the season and the show as a whole, it's an enormous culmination of character arcs and development that portrays them having the wind knocked out of them, and having to stop and regroup, demonstrating their own ability to cope at this point in their lives when forced to face real loss.

So, it was possibly the best thing I've seen so far but I absolutely did not enjoy watching it. I was in tears throughout the whole episode and had to take a break in the middle. Buffy's scenes in particular were the most difficult but also the highlight.

Although it no way compares to the death of a parent, I lost my grandad a few months ago and it's the first really close family member I've had to say goodbye to. There were no specific scenes or lines of dialogue here which I could directly relate to but more the tone of it, little quirks and expressions which hit home. I think this episode speaks as more of a tone poem, an expression of grief and confusion which gets it right.

I'm not sure I'll ever want to watch it again.
Anyway, over on Angel, Lindsay has got an evil hand. So there's that.
Old 01-06-2015, 15:32   #90
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
The Body is definitely the most memorable episode of the shows entire run, ahead of Once More With Feeling and probably Tabula Rasa.

I just remember how well it was done rather than anything specific as it's quite a while ago for me now.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:58   #91
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Absolutely agree with you LeftHandedGuitarist. For anyone who has ever lost someone close it's a devastating episode imo. At this stage, for me, the Scooby Gang were more than just abstract TV characters, I was invested in them and so everything resonated far too real and too raw to say I liked The Body.
It is a powerful episode which set the tone for the season, but I wouldn't ever choose to watch it again.
Old 02-06-2015, 15:29   #92
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Have now completed Buffy season 5/Angel season 2.

The unexpected ending to Angel was absolutely great. Loved visiting Lorne's home dimension and the show took on a completely different, wonderful vibe (echoes of Stargate and even Army of Darkness). When the show allows the comedy to come through it gets it pitch perfect. Really happy to see Amy Acker make an appearance, too. Lindsay's story arc has been one of the highlights of the season also, he's become a character I look forward to the screen time.

Buffy also had an unexpected ending, and this season has been the most emotional so far. I think that Glory has also been the best bad guy that the show has presented, she had the fun factor of the mayor, but had a far more sensible and interesting reason for being. I'm still not sure that I've warmed to Dawn, but she's more watchable now than her early appearances. Really enjoying the Xander/Anya and Willow/Tara relationships, they both feel very natural.

But again, Spike is coming out on top. He's by far the most layered, interesting and sympathetic character the show gives us. He went a bit too far with the Buffybot but does more to redeem himself than all other characters put together. Don't tell me for a second that he doesn't have some kind of soul.
Old 02-06-2015, 15:48   #93
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

The final three episodes of Angel season two are wonderful and some of my favorite.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 18:01   #94
brainwaster
Divided by zero

The moment that always gets me in The Body is Anya's meltdown, it's utterly heartbreaking
Old 03-06-2015, 15:00   #95
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

I'm feeling a need to rewatch myself. Getting all sentimental! But I've got such a backlog of more recent shows lol.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 15:07   #96
ajw000
Trusted User

I started doing this a few months ago and a bit behind LefHandedGuitarist. Having only watched it sporadically when it was first aired, I'm really enjoying it. Getting towards end of S4/S1 and season 4 has been the worst so far by far. Some cracking standalone episodes of Angel though! Oooh and 'Hush' in Buffy was superb
ajw000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 08:36   #97
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A third of the way through Buffy S6/Angel S3.

Buffy season 6 is off to a good start. Her resurrection has been handled in a way I wasn't expecting and she's clearly traumatised. The heaven revelation was a bit of a punch to the gut. I just reached 'Once More with Feeling' and ended up watching it twice.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, and I have to assume because it had been built up so much. I'm not sure I got it at all on the first viewing. First off, I really dislike musicals in general and the episode seemed to throw every musical cliché at me. I loved it for the story points that happen, but the songs made it difficult to keep my attention and it's very obvious that most of the cast are not singers (those that are were miles above the rest). I also hated (I mean HATED) the demon bad guy, he was just awful.

So I watched it again later in the evening with my Buffy-obsessed housemate and it was a lot more fun. The songs felt more playful and I loved their use of misdirection. Still, it's not an episode that is ever going to be on my list of favourites; it's an interesting diversion, nothing more. If it hadn't been an episode that includes some major character revelations and development then it would have been something of a failure.

Switching over to Angel, I'm having a lot of fun with it now. It's turned out to be something quite different than I expected, and at this point in the series has a lot of humour. Very surprised with the Darla pregnancy storyline. Absolutely adore the character of Fred, Wesley and Gunn have surprisingly good chemistry and Cordelia continues to become more and more interesting. I really enjoyed the episode 'Billy' when Wesley was forced to attack Fred, it was menacing and uncomfortable in all the right ways, and Wesley later needing to come to terms with what he had done was heartbreaking.

Great Alien Resurrection joke in 'Fredless'.
Old 15-06-2015, 08:56   #98
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
The song are the best bit about OMWF!
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:37   #99
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Had to take a bit of a break due to overload, but watched a bunch of episodes over the weekend and now I'm very close to finishing Buffy S6/Angel S3. Angel has probably got my attention a bit more, there's more going on. Really enjoyed the Holtz storyline and the way things went with Connor did not end up how I expected. I feel very sorry for Wesley (although I don't think he handled the situation in the best way). Angel's reaction in the hospital, however, was very surprising.

The show's also done something which made me groan, but I'd half been expecting it since Connor the baby first arrived. Any time a main character on a sci-fi show gets a child they usually end up rapidly aging them somehow and it appears a Joss Whedon show is no exception!

Buffy is currently a more sedate and thoughtful show, with seemingly less to focus on, but it might be the more emotional of the two. I've been loving the Spike/Buffy affair but she keeps breaking his heart. Xander and Anya's wedding was obviously never going to end well but I didn't think it would go that way. Big mess.

Not really a fan of the season 6 bad guys (whose names I can't currently remember), they bring a lot of comedy but just seem stupid and unnecessary.
Old 27-08-2015, 10:59   #100
oldskool
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

Not really a fan of the season 6 bad guys (whose names I can't currently remember), they bring a lot of comedy but just seem stupid and unnecessary.
They're not the main big bad of season 6...more filler until the main big bad comes along...you have that to come. Season 6 of Buffy besides a few standout episodes is relatively poor though. Season 7 is much better

Last edited by oldskool; 27-08-2015 at 11:01.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote