Going to watch Buffy and Angel - any particular order? - Page 4 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 11-04-2015, 13:11   #61
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
There was one episode (the second?) where he was walking down the street in broad daylight.

Other than that one episode where Buffy sends Angel that ring which allows vampires to withstand daylight/staking?
Yeah, it wasn't that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronso View Post
He was probably in shadow from a building or something. It's the direct exposure vampires can't take.
That would make things a bit clearer, cheers.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 14:05   #62
SIMON ADEBISI

Spike mentions it in a later ep. Non direct sunlight is ok, still itches a bit but non fatal.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 16:17   #63
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,102 Times in 494 Posts
Apart from Once More With Feeling ep, still can't stand season 6, it just painful and depressing.

For Angel (season 3 onwards spoiler)
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:51   #64
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Ploughing ahead with alternating episodes of Buffy (season 4) and Angel (season 1), and it works really well. The shows have different tones but their shared worlds fit together nicely, and the crossovers are deftly done.

Angel feels a bit more like early Buffy right now, there isn't much of a big story arc and every episode is fairly self-contained. Buffy, meanwhile, is on the best form I've seen so far. The actors are absolutely inhabiting their characters, the story is expanding and changing and Spike is providing all the best laughs.

Gotta say, though, Whedon's trademark style of ripping your heart out has finally done its job on me. First we had the the Oz/Willow breakup which upset me a lot, and now I've just seen Angel choosing to go back to being a vampire and thus having Buffy's memory removed. Heavy stuff, Whedon. I'm loving/hating it.

Just watched the Angel episode 'Hero'. Did not expect that to happen to Doyle...
The much talked about 'Hush' is up next.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 22-04-2015 at 13:55.
Old 27-04-2015, 18:11   #65
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

'Hush' was brilliant, the Gentlemen were genuinely creepy and it was also one of the funniest episodes so far. Very cleverly made. At the same time it delved into some of the most disturbing stuff that the show has done so far.

I've got well into all the stuff with the Initiative now, and Riley has become a character I'm getting more and more annoyed with. Maybe he's just too American-military, but it makes me want to shout at him and tell him to calm down. I know now it was somewhat exacerbated by Professor Walsh, and I was a happy camper to see her meet her end. There's stern and then there's what she had going on.

Willow and Xander seem to currently be floundering a bit as characters, but I get the impression that's somewhat intentional as both she and Giles have had episodes focusing on how left out they feel. Willow has now met Tara and hopefully that will give her story some more purpose. Buffy hasn't been too mopey, either, and that makes her much more fun to watch.

Did I mention that Spike is still the best character?

Back over on season 1 of Angel, it's really struggling to find it's stride. Not many connecting threads between episodes, and much of the storytelling is quite boring in that quaint 1990s sci-fi template. It is managing to make Cordelia a far more interesting character, though, and the arrival of Wesley was a great surprise. It's saving grace is that it's throwing in some wonderful jokes amidst the bland plots. David Boreanaz can really do humour well (his imaginary dancing at Cordelia's party, and the realistic use of mobile phones).
Old 28-04-2015, 08:51   #66
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

...aaaaand Faith just became a MUCH more interesting character! Awesome body swap episode with phenomenally good acting from both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eliza Dushku.

Five by five.
Old 15-05-2015, 13:33   #67
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

On to Buffy season 5/Angel season 2 now.

Buffy season 4 was probably my favourite so far. Liked the change in setting and the character development, the way the plot grew over the season was stronger than previous. It also had some pretty crazy stuff, such as the final dream-filled episode (which I actually quite enjoyed).

Angel, not sure it's entirely clicked with me yet. It felt disjointed and lacking in direction, but I really like the characters and their interactions. It needs more cohesion between the episodes. There was some good stuff at the end, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Darla.

I saw the first episode of Buffy season 5 last night, the Dracula episode. It was fantastic and demonstrates again how well that show worked when it was firing on all cylinders. Also, the ending with the sudden appearance of Buffy's sister (something I knew was coming eventually, but knew nothing of the circumstances surrounding it) took me by surprise!

Am I just rambling to myself here?

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 15-05-2015 at 13:35.
Old 15-05-2015, 13:53   #68
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

You're making me want to watch these again
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 13:55   #69
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

And me.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 13:56   #70
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

But no it's fun reading through someone else's take on the series years after I've seen it. Keep posting

Last edited by Mevlock; 15-05-2015 at 13:57.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 13:58   #71
bronso
Trusted User

Nope, still reading and enjoying your comments!

Surprised you liked S4 more than the earlier seasons. I (and most fans with me, I believe) tended to find all the Initiative stuff an awkward fit with the Buffy universe, and not all that well executed. Riley is not exactly a fan favorite either. Plus the college setting just isn't as compelling as Sunnydale High, and you're starting to see some imbalances in the ensemble, some of which you've pointed out yourself. Xander and to some extent Giles get increasingly sidelined; there are also some early signs of the Fonzification of Spike, but they're probably not that noticeable unless you know what's coming. S3, to my mind, is the show in its Platonic ideal form, with the Scoobies in their best configuration going up against a great villain.

Different tastes, I suppose...

If what you're missing in Angel is "cohesion between episodes" (i.e. an ongoing arc), the show will definitely oblige. It evolves to become almost the complete opposite of what it started out as: whole seasons devoted to one plot with barely any detours. Hope you like prophecies and lengthy apocalypses!
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 18:53   #72
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,320 Times in 660 Posts
I'm also enjoying reading your comments. Keep em coming.

I'm in season 3 and watch the odd one here or there.. probably will do for a long time. Never did get Angel on DVD when I commented on the previous page in 2010 (!). So I've only ever seen that show once when it originally aired. Might be on for a rewatch! Will probably be like seeing it for the first time.... Seems it's not on Netflix anymore though
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:12   #73
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I just stumbled across this thread only read the last page, so far. S4 Buffy for me is my least favourite and on rewatches i normally skip the last episode it is just plain weird. It really is missing Angel. S5 picks things up again.

Angel just gets better and better and I recall not liking S4 when it aired but when I binged watched it I could see the genius in it. I love the last few episodes of S2.
zantarous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:29   #74
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I just stumbled across this thread only read the last page, so far. S4 Buffy for me is my least favourite and on rewatches i normally skip the last episode it is just plain weird. It really is missing Angel. S5 picks things up again.

Angel just gets better and better and I recall not liking S4 when it aired but when I binged watched it I could see the genius in it. I love the last few episodes of S2.
I hate the last ep of s4 of buffy. It's the only ep I skip outside of s1 when on a rematch.

S4 of Angel - I loved the first 2/3 of the series, then it went a bit rubbish.
andybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 16:20   #75
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronso View Post
Nope, still reading and enjoying your comments!

Surprised you liked S4 more than the earlier seasons. I (and most fans with me, I believe) tended to find all the Initiative stuff an awkward fit with the Buffy universe, and not all that well executed.
There is one thing in relation to this which I feel the show has not handled well, and I've needed to just accept it as something that's always been there. That is the sudden appearance of a demon community that exists out in the world alongside humans. They began appearing more regularly in Buffy season 3, and by season 4 they were just everywhere (Angel expanded upon this further). It doesn't mesh too well with the early seasons where random demons were a really big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybhoy View Post
I hate the last ep of s4 of buffy. It's the only ep I skip outside of s1 when on a rematch.
I thought it was genius.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 18-05-2015 at 16:21.
Old 18-05-2015, 17:30   #76
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I thought it was genius.
Me too! Very unsettling.

My take on the demon community is that the Hellmouth is constantly increasing in power (especially since Buffy arrived), attracting evil in greater numbers until it brings forth either true evil or its own destruction.
Old 18-05-2015, 17:34   #77
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Me too! Very unsettling.

My take on the demon community is that the Hellmouth is constantly increasing in power (especially since Buffy arrived), attracting evil in greater numbers until it brings forth either true evil or its own destruction.
Ah, but many of the demons are friendly
Old 18-05-2015, 18:04   #78
Nana
Walk without rhythm

To me being friendly is a character choice, genetically they're demons and drawn to the Hellmouth.

It's fun chatting about the Buffster again, thank you.
Old 19-05-2015, 12:22   #79
SIMON ADEBISI

Really looking forward to LeftHandGuitarists opinion on The Body. One of the best episodes of Buffy if not one of the best episodes of any tv show ever.

I want to watch it now.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 13:40   #80
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
Really looking forward to LeftHandGuitarists opinion on The Body. One of the best episodes of Buffy if not one of the best episodes of any tv show ever.

I want to watch it now.
Pure brilliance

oh, and ..

Last edited by mnementh; 19-05-2015 at 15:14.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote