Going to watch Buffy and Angel - any particular order? - Page 3 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 16-03-2015, 22:22   #41
Alan George
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash41 View Post
Just to make you feel old Buffy premiered 18 years ago.
Yes I taped them off the telly...on VHS!

I like Angel, but in look, style & vibe it's completely different to Buffy. I started going through the box sets of Angel again, but I only got to halfway through series two, & then decided to have a break, that was last summer. I might start up again this summer, but so many box sets to get through. I suppose you'd call that a first world problem
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:12   #42
Jon B
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronso View Post
The computer demon one is admittedly terrible, but I always rather liked "Puppet Show." I think towards the end of S1 the comedy side of the show is really starting to gel – and it doesn't hurt that it introduces Principal Snyder. "Angel" takes itself too seriously for my taste. (True of the episode and true of the show; which is one reason why unlike LouBarlow I think Buffy holds up better than Angel. Last time I tried to rewatch the latter I got maybe halfway through S2 and just totally lost interest in all the apocalypse/prophecy stuff.)
Agree with this - I could never get into Angel and found it far too serious. Most people seem to think that the first few seasons of Buffy were the best but I've always preferred Seasons 5 and 6. I still believe that 'Once More With Feeling' is one of the most enjoyable episodes of any television show ever made (Hush is also excellent!)

I still have all my DVD box sets with Season 6 autographed by Emma Caulfield
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:53   #43
Xeon007
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash41 View Post
Just to make you feel old Buffy premiered 18 years ago.
Thanks for that...
Xeon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 21:30   #44
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

7 episodes into season 2 now and the tone hasn't particularly changed. It's still cheesy low-budget and while the cast do seem to be more comfortable with their roles, awful monster-of-the-week episodes are still happening. I realised that I must have actually seen at least a chunk of season 2 before because I remembered the introduction of Spike (wow, what a much needed addition) and Drusilla.

Really enjoying the more arc relevant episodes now, 'School Hard' and 'Halloween' were great. But 'Some Assembly Required' and 'Reptile Boy' became background noise while I was doing something else.

Also, the video quality of these early seasons is terrible.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 17-03-2015 at 21:56.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 01:24   #45
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Season 2 done! Definitely better overall than season 1, but it did take a little while to get there. The silly standalone episodes kept coming, but they began to have moments in them which advanced the overall arc stories more. Liked the addition of Oz and Cordelia becoming one of the gang. Principal Snyder (Quark) is great. The show is also becoming considerably darker in tone.

Buffy is actually the least interesting character at this point, I'd rather spend time with just about anyone else. Angel came to life (pun intended) when he was Angelus but Spike still managed to outshine him. Drusilla never really clicked with me, she's become a bit annoying. I actually fell asleep in the episode with the boogeyman at the hospital.

The repetitive fight scenes are becoming a source of frustration, and even boredom. Kick, kick, punch, throw ad nauseum.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 21-03-2015 at 08:44.
Old 21-03-2015, 12:17   #46
Smash41
Trusted User

I love the Buffy theme tune.
Smash41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 12:49   #47
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Season 2 done! Definitely better overall than season 1, but it did take a little while to get there. The silly standalone episodes kept coming, but they began to have moments in them which advanced the overall arc stories more. Liked the addition of Oz and Cordelia becoming one of the gang. Principal Snyder (Quark) is great. The show is also becoming considerably darker in tone.

Buffy is actually the least interesting character at this point, I'd rather spend time with just about anyone else. Angel came to life (pun intended) when he was Angelus but Spike still managed to outshine him. Drusilla never really clicked with me, she's become a bit annoying. I actually fell asleep in the episode with the boogeyman at the hospital.

The repetitive fight scenes are becoming a source of frustration, and even boredom. Kick, kick, punch, throw ad nauseum.
I think you're on the same page with most fans. (One of us! One of us! )

There are dud episodes and filler episodes throughout the run of the show, so don't expect that to change. Still, the ones in season 2 (like Bad Eggs, Reptile Boy, Go Fish...) are generally considered some of the worst.

They get a new fight choreographer around S4, IIRC, and things get a little bit more dynamic after that.

It's fun reading these updates and reliving the show vicariously!
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 10:49   #48
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A third of the way into season 3 and the show has finally reached a point where it really feels like it's evolved. Every episode is progressing major story arcs and characters are developing in spades. Spike has returned pining for Drusilla and has become a force all of his own.

Notably, I felt REALLY sorry for Cordelia when she found out that Xander and Willow were falling for each other. That's something of an achievement! Fantastic writing because it makes you as a viewer feel completely torn; I was rooting for Xander and Willow to get together, but at the same time I really liked the relationships that they had with Cordy and Oz.

This has now become far less about the plot and much more about the characters.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 26-03-2015 at 10:54.
Old 04-04-2015, 00:03   #49
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Just watched 'Consequences'.
I really don't like Faith.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:09   #50
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Noo! Faith is one of my favourite characters!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:16   #51
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,320 Times in 660 Posts
She's five by five...
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44   #52
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Season 3 finished, and it was a massive step up in quality. A lot more confidence all round, it dived into the plot and characters. Still cheap & cheesy in places, that has now become part of the charm. It's blending humor and drama together perfectly, allowing characters to spread their wings.

I really enjoyed the funnier standalone episodes this time, such as Earshot, The Zeppo and and Lovers Walk. Really can't wait for Spike to come back in a bigger role. Count me as utterly floored when it was revealed that Angel was faking his evil side in Enemies, I never saw that coming! David Boreanaz sure is more interesting when he's being a bad guy, though. The broodiness of the Buffy/Angel arc was tough to get through sometimes.

The mayor was a great fun bad guy, but terribly underdeveloped. It's not enough to make someone crack jokes if we can't understand their reasons for doing what their doing, or really know anything about them. His early appearances were too few and far between to establish him properly. Also, Mr. Trick was built up only to thrown away a bit too casually.

Most heart breaking moment of the season: Willow's realisation that Xander and Faith had slept together
And no, I still despise Faith completely. Traitorous, malicious soul.

Anyway, on to season 4 (and now also watching Angel season 1 alongside). My first impression: BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL WIDESCREEN!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 07-04-2015 at 08:46.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:06   #53
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Season 4 is one of my favourites, more firmly rooted each time I commit to watching the season, although Beer Bad can take some choking down, especially the first time.
I look forward to your review of the iconic Hush, I still try and watch it sometime on Halloween, Whedon at his very best.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:21   #54
Robin Davies
Trusted User

Quote:
Anyway, on to season 4 (and now also watching Angel season 1 alongside). My first impression: BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL WIDESCREEN!
Joss Whedon will stake you!
He put this message in the US release which is in the correct 4:3 ratio:

A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM JOSS WHEDON

Gentle Viewer:

No doubt you are looking over this scrumptious BUFFY package and exclaiming "No @#$%ing letterboxing? Whutzat? GYPPED!" Possibly you are breaking things. Please calm down. The fabulous episodes of BUFFY (and that one crappy one, sorry about that, seemed really cool when we wrote it...) were not shot in a widescreen format. They were shot in the TV 4 by 3 ratio. Now I'm a letterbox fanatic, but not just because I crave th' wide. I want to see the whole screen, as framed by the director. The BUFFY's I (and others) shot were framed for traditional TVs. Adding space to the sides simply for the sake of trying to look more cinematic would betray the very exact mise-en-scene I was trying to create. I am a purist, and this is the purest way to watch BUFFY. I have resisted the effort to letterbox BUFFY from the start and always will, because that is not the show we shot. This is. So enjoy! Stop breaking things. You're getting the best presentation of -- let's face it -- the best Television Drama since MATCHGAME '79. Bye for now!"

If you watch it in widescreen and your TV has no overscan then you will see things near the edge of the screen which you shouldn't see (this particularly affects Restless).
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:24   #55
Robin Davies
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Season 4 is one of my favourites, more firmly rooted each time I commit to watching the season, although Beer Bad can take some choking down, especially the first time.
I look forward to your review of the iconic Hush, I still try and watch it sometime on Halloween, Whedon at his very best.
Great to see some praise for the much-maligned Season 4! It's one of my favourites too and I'm always disappointed when everyone else slags it off!
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 20:32   #56
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I rewatched season 7 recently and loved it. i am waiting for Season 5 of Angel to come on scy-fy too (i enjoy rewatching season 4 and the madness of it all)

Wouldn't mind watching 5 again I suppose as I liked that Villian whereas 6's one was all a bit confused.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:31   #57
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Season 4 has introduced a big change in setting and characters, and I really quite like it. It feels like things have opened up a bit more and the characters have all moved on to a new phase. Anya/Xander is good fun.

I've also quite enjoyed the first few episodes of Angel, even though they are in the early setup era that all new shows go through. Alternating the episodes with Buffy is great, as the continuity and crossovers work brilliantly (Oz taking the ring in the Buffy episode, then appearing in Angel to give it to him).

Oh, and I know that Mr. Whedon does not agree with the 16:9 framing, but... meh. It looks better, it feels better and I'm happier.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 09-04-2015 at 09:32.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00   #58
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

One thing I'm not getting about Angel, he is spending a lot of time in daylight. Most of the time he's in well lit rooms with sunshine pouring in the windows. There was one episode (the second?) where he was walking down the street in broad daylight.

Is this a genuine mistake, or did the showrunners do it just because it was more convenient?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:40   #59
Hex
Chemical Member

There was one episode (the second?) where he was walking down the street in broad daylight.

Other than that one episode where Buffy sends Angel that ring which allows vampires to withstand daylight/staking?
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:52   #60
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
One thing I'm not getting about Angel, he is spending a lot of time in daylight. Most of the time he's in well lit rooms with sunshine pouring in the windows. There was one episode (the second?) where he was walking down the street in broad daylight.

Is this a genuine mistake, or did the showrunners do it just because it was more convenient?
He was probably in shadow from a building or something. It's the direct exposure vampires can't take. I suppose you have to wonder how he gets around out in the open, but they occasionally show him climbing up and down manholes, so that's presumably the answer. It's sort of ridiculous that he'd be in an office with sunlight pouring in, but as long as he stays out of the direct sun he should still be OK. At some point they introduce some kind of special vampire-sunproofed glass so they don't even have to worry about that.

Early on in Buffy vampires seemed much less relaxed about being out during the day, so yes, they definitely started relaxing the rules about sun just for production and storytelling convenience. And on top of that you do occasionally have outright mistakes. (More with reflections than with light: remember in the first episode when the vampire businessman falls burning down the side of the office building, reflected clear as day in the glass?)
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote