Going to watch Buffy and Angel - any particular order? - Page 2 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 23:34   #21
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

Still got those lovely book style DVD sets that cost me a fortune back in the day, Buffy was great and I thought Angel was a superb follow on, pity they cut the series short
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52   #22
Guest 586
Meldrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentasa View Post
I used to be a massive Buffy fan (well seasons 1 - 3 anyway) but I tried to watch an episode of Buffy on the Sci Fi channel and it just didn't hold any interest for me
Watched an episode on DVD the other day ("Wild At Heart") and the Buffster remains a damn fine slice of TV.

On the Angel front, if you fancy getting straight into the action, watch a few key Buffy season two episodes ("Surprise", "Innocence", "Passion", "Becoming" Part 1 & 2), Buffy season three, and then jump in to Angel season one. If you have the time, patience, and DVD budget, start from Buffy season one, or season two. (Slightly heretical opinion: Buffy season one is enjoyable, but not all that.)

alphatyrant: Got the season two release in book format, but it scratched up the discs, so back it went. Shame, lush packaging. Got the season five release, later (once they're lined the envelopes) but the same. (And was more nimble than a squaddie juggling a UXB the second time around.) Got the Aussie releases, which are nice enough.
Guest 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:56   #23
Guest 586
Meldrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Start with Buffy first.

Found this.
Raise you this. Online since 1997, ye olde net banter about, and reviews of, Buffy from when the series aired. Link to the Angel Annex down the bottom.
Guest 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20   #24
Guest 3178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdawn View Post
FX are permanently showing seasons 4-7 of Buffy on Saturday & Sunday mornings. Sci-Fi seem to be showing seasons 1-3 in heavy rotation.

Enjoy your watch White Line
I'm watching the whole of Buffy again - I'm nearly through Season 3 on Sci Fi - bu FX have committed a bit of a faux pas. They aren't showing episodes 10 ('Hush' ) and 18 ('Where The Wild Things Are' ) of Season 4, and when I posted a query as to why, they (to their partial credit) responded the same day to say that the episodes were not suitable for daytime transmission, and they had not plans to air them after the watershed. Really, really frustrating.

I might revisit Angel as well, but remember the general rule that Lorne = good and Connor = bad, so will take a view on whether I subject myself to the whole Connor storyline again!

Last edited by James P; 03-03-2010 at 09:20.
Guest 3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 16:20   #25
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Thread bump! I'm about to embark on my first Buffy/Angel watch and I'm using this guide for the order: http://josswhedon.blogspot.co.uk/201...ing-order.html
Netflix does away with the frustration of needing to swap discs

I saw Buffy season 1 many many years ago and wasn't very impressed, but more recently my Buffy-obsessed housemate has been watching it and I caught some season 6/7 episodes which were far more interesting. Never seen any of Angel at all, looking forward to this.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 16:23   #26
Smash41
Trusted User

I envy you seeing it for the first time. I might do a re-watch myself now.
Smash41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:46   #27
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Netflix does away with the frustration of needing to swap discs
What a great idea I thought but is it right that Angel isn't on UK Netflix?
How is Buffy presented (4:3 or 16:9) and does it have the previously-ons?
I would've got Netflix if they had both series even though I have them on dvd.
(I know I could get that thing that lets you watch other Netflix regions, the name escapes me at the mo).
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:46   #28
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Well, the first 2 episodes are pretty much as I remember. It feels like quite a cheesy low budget show at this point. The big issue for me that I remember was it seemed to be full of standalone monster-of-the-week episodes, a format I didn't enjoy.

Fortunately, I am able to take into account the year in which films/shows were made and for the mid/late-90's this is fairly acceptable stuff. Love the theme tune.

Currently presented in stretched 4:3 (this has confused me, because other 4:3 shows such as Twin Peaks have not been stretched), I know later seasons are in 16:9. Angel is on foreign Netflix didn't notice a previously on but I wasn't looking out for one!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 13-03-2015 at 17:53.
Old 13-03-2015, 18:21   #29
bronso
Trusted User

In S1 it was definitely a low-budget show, and some of the cheesiness is from that; but more is from not yet having nailed the tone. It gets better, though neither Buffy nor Angel is ever entirely non-dairy.

And yes, it does start out mostly Monster-of-the-Week, but even S1 has at least 4 arc-heavy episodes (out of 12). It's just... the S1 arc isn't all that interesting. Once S2 gets going is when the continuing storyline really becomes a draw.

Buffy was shot primarily for 4:3 for most of its run (they produced a widescreen version from... I think S4, but it was not the intended aspect-ratio), and that's arguably how it should ideally be watched.

Edit: Also, looking at that episode order guide, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Aside from the crossovers (and watching Buffy S1-3 before Angel), you should just watch them in the order you feel like. And in fact, several of the crossovers are trivial and don't presuppose any knowledge of the other show, nor spoil it significantly.

Last edited by bronso; 13-03-2015 at 18:31.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 18:37   #30
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Tried re-watching Buffy recently and couldn't get into it all. Then tried Angel and blasted through it all in a few weeks. It has aged MUCH better IMO.
LouBarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:08   #31
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I just hit the two episodes which convinced me to give up on the show the first time round. The one with the demon in the computers, and the one with the evil ventriloquist dummy. Really tired, lazy and poorly made stuff. Felt like I was watching Charmed.

Fortunately, the episode before these was 'Angel' which was of a considerably higher quality.
Old 16-03-2015, 01:23   #32
bronso
Trusted User

The computer demon one is admittedly terrible, but I always rather liked "Puppet Show." I think towards the end of S1 the comedy side of the show is really starting to gel – and it doesn't hurt that it introduces Principal Snyder. "Angel" takes itself too seriously for my taste. (True of the episode and true of the show; which is one reason why unlike LouBarlow I think Buffy holds up better than Angel. Last time I tried to rewatch the latter I got maybe halfway through S2 and just totally lost interest in all the apocalypse/prophecy stuff.)
Old 16-03-2015, 04:29   #33
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Make sure you have Ear protectors ready for the Buffy 'Musical' Episode as well.
Charisma Carpenter is worth a watch though!.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 05:12   #34
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
Once More With Feeling is brilliant. Possibly my favourite episode.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 09:19   #35
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

I'm a huge fan of Buffy but never really enjoyed Angel, so I haven't seen any cross over episodes. I don't feel like I missed out on anything though.... Have I?
Old 16-03-2015, 09:59   #36
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Season 1 finished, really enjoyed the finale. As bronso mentioned, the comedy is really beginning to shine even in the weaker episodes (the end of the computer demon episode had the gang suddenly realising they were doomed in relationships - awkward silence; cut to end credits). Xander is probably the highlight at this point.
Old 16-03-2015, 11:55   #37
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Early seasons are better..It was the later ones I stopped watching and then SMG starred in 2 Scooby Doo's and her Career tanked pretty much after that!
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 18:04   #38
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joober View Post
I'm a huge fan of Buffy but never really enjoyed Angel, so I haven't seen any cross over episodes. I don't feel like I missed out on anything though.... Have I?
In terms of appreciating Buffy more? Probably not much. They flesh out Angel's backstory a bit more (particularly in the pair of crossover flashback episodes Fool For Love/Darla), and some key parts of Faith's character arc take place on that show. If you haven't seen it, those are probably the most rewarding parts just from a Buffy-viewer's perspective.

Also, a fair number of secondary characters make the jump at one time or another, so if you're dying to know what happened to Harmony, for example, it does answer that (but honestly the way many of them are used is a bit of a mixed bag).
Old 16-03-2015, 19:01   #39
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

No not really, more stories to do with the Buffy clan that happened away from the Buffy series. I'm pretty sure whenever the characters crossed over, I was aware of what had happened. Angel just never clicked for me I guess. Also they were back to back on a Friday night and I couldn't be bothered sitting through Angel once Buffy finished haha.
Old 16-03-2015, 22:05   #40
Smash41
Trusted User

Just to make you feel old Buffy premiered 18 years ago.
Smash41 is offline   Reply With Quote