Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 25-04-2020, 14:38   #1701
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shand754 View Post
I'd be very wary about booking any travel or holidays at the moment. If there is a second wave of the virus then I think all travel insurers, holiday companies and airlines have declared Coronavirus a known event now. So this means you won't get your money back and might not even get a travel voucher/free rebooking. Also if there is a second wave in a country you have travelled too I imagine they will lock down very quickly (based on the experience of those countries that controlled the virus better by locking down quicker); so there is a risk of getting stuck.
Exactly, virtually every new travel insurance policy and renewal of an existing annual policy excludes Covid-19.

So no coverage on holidays booked now as you know Covid-19 exists. It’s like a pre existing condition on medical policies. So they won’t insure you as there could be wave 2 or 3 global lockdowns.

Anyone booking a holiday at the moment is incredibly foolish given you will almost certainly have no comeback or cancellation cover for your money.

Would wait until at least early 2021 before booking a summer 2021 holiday.

Me personally, I won’t be getting on a plane until I hear vacancies are working and I’ve been vaccinated.

Quote:
Ryanair is Irish
I know, was talking about airlines flying here
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:45   #1702
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
Exactly, virtually every new travel insurance policy and renewal of an existing annual policy excludes Covid-19.

So no coverage on holidays booked now as you know Covid-19 exists. It’s like a pre existing condition on medical policies. So they won’t insure you as there could be wave 2 or 3 global lockdowns.

Anyone booking a holiday at the moment is incredibly foolish given you will almost certainly have no comeback or cancellation cover for your money.

Would wait until at least early 2021 before booking a summer 2021 holiday.

Me personally, I won’t be getting on a plane until I hear vacancies are working and I’ve been vaccinated.

I know, was talking about airlines flying here
Right, that's all about travel insurance which I accept won't cover us. Not about travel companies cancelling. I doubt there has been a huge payout (if any) from insurance companies to date for package holidays having been cancelled even if they were covered for Coronavirus.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 16:01   #1703
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Can't massively see any reason to be booking holiday right now. I can't see demand being huge and there'll be decent deals and so forth. Is there really any harm in waiting and booking something fairly last minute?

You don't massively know what the situation might be. We have a lot of cruises coming to the Falklands, they still came until the last week or so of the season. Even when CV19 was in full swing, especially on cruise ships, the floating petri dish that they are.

Your choice was to either go on your cruise or not go, but if you didn't you weren't getting a refund, because you just decided you weren't going to go.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 16:07   #1704
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Can't massively see any reason to be booking holiday right now. I can't see demand being huge and there'll be decent deals and so forth. Is there really any harm in waiting and booking something fairly last minute?

You don't massively know what the situation might be.
True. We love our holidays and like to have one or two booked in advance to look forward to. Not really a last minute booking family, and we will be constrained on dates due to work commitments. I'm just trying to understand the risk of booking now/soon.
Old 25-04-2020, 18:22   #1705
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler View Post
True. We love our holidays and like to have one or two booked in advance to look forward to. Not really a last minute booking family, and we will be constrained on dates due to work commitments. I'm just trying to understand the risk of booking now/soon.
The point is you don’t know if and when there could be another explosion in cases global. You are only controlling currently by lockdown and distancing.

You haven’t got any certainly until a vaccine has been given to a significant proportion of the population.

No guarantees you travel somewhere and suddenly find yourself stuck. Probably okay as feasible to get home if somewhere in Europe. Flying further afield or going on a cruise would be bonkers.

As noted what’s the problem with waiting and booking next year ?

They are talking about the elderly here not being allowed out for a year so they wouldn’t be competing to book holidays.

Anyway think we are a long way from this threads purpose which is discussing companies who have gone bust.

If you want to continue use the Covid-19. Don’t think though you will find more there saying now’s a good time to book holidays for next year.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 18:51   #1706
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
The point is you don’t know if and when there could be another explosion in cases global. You are only controlling currently by lockdown and distancing.

You haven’t got any certainly until a vaccine has been given to a significant proportion of the population.

No guarantees you travel somewhere and suddenly find yourself stuck. Probably okay as feasible to get home if somewhere in Europe. Flying further afield or going on a cruise would be bonkers.

As noted what’s the problem with waiting and booking next year ?

They are talking about the elderly here not being allowed out for a year so they wouldn’t be competing to book holidays.

Anyway think we are a long way from this threads purpose which is discussing companies who have gone bust.

If you want to continue use the Covid-19. Don’t think though you will find more there saying now’s a good time to book holidays for next year.
My only point that I asked about was what is the risk associated with a travel company going bust which was entirely what was being discussed and is on topic.
Old 26-04-2020, 15:06   #1707
shand754
Gamertag - Shanduk

Quote:
My only point that I asked about was what is the risk associated with a travel company going bust which was entirely what was being discussed and is on topic.
On the risk of booking any travel now - Travel operators are now saying Coronavirus is a known event. This means that anyone booking travel knows the risks associated with the virus and travel. Therefore they will be changing their terms and conditions such that they won't have to give you a refund if a trip has to be cancelled for CV associated reasons. Travel insurance companies have done the same. So if you book a holiday now and unfortunately it turns out that the trip coincides with another flare up of the virus of if things generally have not returned to normal; then you are at risk of losing your money. I would suggest not rushing to book anything at the moment and if you do, only do so after you have checked the airline or holiday companies policy regarding CV/pandemics and have it in writing.
Old 26-04-2020, 15:12   #1708
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
On the risk of booking any travel now - Travel operators are now saying Coronavirus is a known event. This means that anyone booking travel knows the risks associated with the virus and travel. Therefore they will be changing their terms and conditions such that they won't have to give you a refund if a trip has to be cancelled for CV associated reasons. Travel insurance companies have done the same. So if you book a holiday now and unfortunately it turns out that the trip coincides with another flare up of the virus of if things generally have not returned to normal; then you are at risk of losing your money. I would suggest not rushing to book anything at the moment and if you do, only do so after you have checked the airline or holiday companies policy regarding CV/pandemics and have it in writing.
Thanks.
Old 27-04-2020, 08:04   #1709
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,032 Posts
Yes, in case of problems, the best we can hope for is an account credit to be spent with 1 year.

A worse scenario is that some companies will go bust, and may then get bought for a $1 after all their debt (your holiday) has been wiped out, to rise from the ashes.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:10   #1710
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Yes, in case of problems, the best we can hope for is an account credit to be spent with 1 year.

A worse scenario is that some companies will go bust, and may then get bought for a $1 after all their debt (your holiday) has been wiped out, to rise from the ashes.
Package tours are covered by ABTA but I guess there may be a finite amount of funds available there.
Old 27-04-2020, 10:30   #1711
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post

Yeh we were discussing LATAM the airline at work (it operates our commercial links), general consensus is it was too big and important to fail. But the modern way seems to be different. Hide the assets away in something else, start again without the debts (i.e. yours).

Would think any sort of travel or tourism company might be going through some very hard times, at best not massively wanting to give you a refund.

I needed a refund on my LATAM flight, £900. None of the other begged options were any good, didn't want to move it to another point for free, get a credit, all would have been useless to me. Took a lot of time to get them to agree I could have a refund (they cancelled my flights, I was entitled to one) and I seem to be going through an endless process. Firstly they issued me a gift voucher for the flight (which took a month) and then told me if I wanted a refund I could claim one (would take another month).
Old 27-04-2020, 12:22   #1712
basegreen
neergesab

Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near booking a holiday right now. If you don't like doing last minute stuff then make a note in your diary, book it off work and do a check 3 /2 1 month out and see what situation is like. One thing that won't be an issue is lack of capacity.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 12:58   #1713
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,032 Posts
Quote:
Package tours are covered by ABTA but I guess there may be a finite amount of funds available there.
Yes, but likely with very low resources devoted to any refund process, plus there's the hoop-jumping you're expected to do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Took a lot of time to get them to agree I could have a refund (they cancelled my flights, I was entitled to one) and I seem to be going through an endless process.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 14:59   #1714
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Well I booked one the weekend as Jersey next april is only £40 return Easyjet and their current policy is to allow you to move your flights for free or they'll cancel it if there's still a problem beginning of next year.

I am assuming that they will keep this policy in place, allowing you to move your flights for free, because they will want people to still be buying flights to give them money to help them keep afloat. Youar eright they coudl change it at anytime and say tough luck you booked after coronavirus is known about. However I would have thought if a company could not provide adequate service you still have your consumer right to a refund 9which woudl probably be a credit, legally from what I understand you are entitled to your money back, but that's not how a lot of companies work).

If my hol does go tits up next year I am currently assumnig it'll cost me £15 because accomodation was booked airbnb and that was their charge and they have a statement on their website fee won't be waivered for those that booked since coronavirus was known about.
cliff homewood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 15:05   #1715
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Yep basically they've had my cash since November. They've known there would be no flight for getting on for 10 weeks now, but the flight wasn't actually cancelled until a day or so before.

To even get close to a refund I've had to go through a lot of things, they've massively encouraged people to just not bother turning up for flights and offered a credit note for this.

Issues with that, a load of people will now have credit, but there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get any sort of a flight for anywhere near the same price I paid £930, can't seem to get anything close to that.

So not only have they've got everyone's money, you're now going to have to pay a premium to use your credit. Can easily see tour operators knowing everyone has vouchers to up the prices.

They did offer the opportunity to change your flight, it started out as paying the difference but did eventually allow it at no cost (I think).

I instead spent all day in a queue for an online chat, this is LATAM, the South American airline, huge company. Considering I started 34th in the queue and waited 6 hours to get to the front, I guess there was one person doing the chats. The alternative for me was to spend 80p a minute in a call centre queue for who knows how many hours.

So just be aware of "flexible fares" and so forth.
Old 21-06-2020, 21:54   #1716
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Go Outdoors on the verge of calling in the administrators
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 09:50   #1717
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,282 Posts
Segway, personal vehicle known for high-profile crashes, ending production

Last edited by Boink!; 24-06-2020 at 09:53.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 08:56   #1718
farmroad38
Ho hum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmroad38 View Post
Shopping centre owner Intu look like they are on the edge:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51851791

Never heard of them, but they own at least two big ones. I should think they will struggle even more with what's going on right now, but looks like it might have only been a matter of time anyway.
They've survived another quarter, but debt restructuring talks look like they're on a knife edge again. Not sure if it's just a tactic - have talks with lenders, fail to agree, threaten to shut down so the lenders give in. Rinse and repeat, until somebody finally gets fed up and refuses to budge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53189872
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 09:33   #1719
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

I genuinely think a lot of these warnings are for a free government hand out
Old 26-06-2020, 13:20   #1720
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmroad38 View Post
They've survived another quarter, but debt restructuring talks look like they're on a knife edge again. Not sure if it's just a tactic - have talks with lenders, fail to agree, threaten to shut down so the lenders give in. Rinse and repeat, until somebody finally gets fed up and refuses to budge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53189872
They have collapsed in administration.

I imagine the big places like the Trafford Centre and Metro Centre wil be snapped up but they might struggle to find takers for the smaller centres in the current climate.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote