Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Finance Discussion Forum

Old 28-06-2020, 10:25   #1
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Investing a large sum of money ?

Hi all,

In these times of low interest rates what are the best options when investing a large sum ( 6 figures ) of money ?

The cliche is to put it in property but I am at the age where having only just been able to become mortgage free I have no intention of getting another one.

Is there a limit on how much you can put in an ISA ? Also, what is the maximum amount covered by the FSA (?) you can have in a bank account ?

Dump some of it in an existing pension pot perhaps ? Is that even allowed ?
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 10:39   #2
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

£20k in an isa. I am using rare setter now for my cash isa (it’s not cash isa, it’s riskier)

Pension is an option, depending on your salary, you can stick in max £40k per annum (plus unused 40k allowance for past 3year) but you’d need that much in salary to save the tax and make it a better option than just putting it in savings.

Then you have premium bonds for £50k

Or just put it outside an isa in unit trusts. (And move £20k into the isa each year)

Depends on your future needs really? Saving for retirement? Planning on keeping working and having more income to save each year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 10:51   #3
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,000 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Also, what is the maximum amount covered by the FSA (?) you can have in a bank account ?
£85,000 per person, per financial institution. Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). https://www.fscs.org.uk/
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:19   #4
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
£20k in an isa. I am using rare setter now for my cash isa (it’s not cash isa, it’s riskier)

Pension is an option, depending on your salary, you can stick in max £40k per annum (plus unused 40k allowance for past 3year) but you’d need that much in salary to save the tax and make it a better option than just putting it in savings.

Then you have premium bonds for £50k

Or just put it outside an isa in unit trusts. (And move £20k into the isa each year)

Depends on your future needs really? Saving for retirement? Planning on keeping working and having more income to save each year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
£85,000 per person, per financial institution. Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). https://www.fscs.org.uk/
Thanks - I thought that's what the limits are.

It's an inheritance windfall. A large portion of it will be used to pay off my existing mortgage ( freeing up about £650 per month in itself ) leaving about £100k.

My salary is enough for the 40k pension limit to not be a problem. But is there a

I would say that even with this I am approximately 10 years away from retiring. And in that time our 2 kids ( currently 16 and 14 ) would have gone through university so we are probably looking at something that could possibly be used to help either of them in the future ( student loans, car, house deposit, etc ) as well as ramp up the pension pot come retirement. So reasonably quick access would be required or not something that locks you out for more 5 years.

Premium bonds is an option but - with regained income from being mortgage free - we are not in any particular need for something that possibly increases monthly income if that makes sense ?
Old 28-06-2020, 11:25   #5
cjanderson

My premium bonds just rev invest in premium bonds when I win (I have £45kish so have £5k capacity for wins)

Think your pension part is missing a question? Once in there you can’t get it out until retirement age.

Old 28-06-2020, 11:52   #6
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
My premium bonds just rev invest in premium bonds when I win (I have £45kish so have £5k capacity for wins)

Think your pension part is missing a question? Once in there you can’t get it out until retirement age.
Good spot

It should have said "My salary is enough for the 40k pension limit to not be a problem. But is there a risk in dumping such large sums in a single vehicle ?"
Old 28-06-2020, 11:57   #7
cjanderson

There is a risk of dumping money into any non cash investment but pensions have sabe risk of that as picking shares (actually they are better, my shares went down 25% from April 2019 to April 2020 and my pension went down 10% as that is more managed)

Old 28-06-2020, 15:27   #8
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Yeh Premium Bonds are not taxable so pretty good when you've got a few quid to invest, the rate isn't massive but there is no tax. As CJ says, I stuck £40k in mine so no worry about meeting the max really, and if you've got a wife you can stick £40k in her name.

You're not going to get too much in the current climate, depends how risky you want things to be. It's not the worst time to be buying a few shares for the long term, a fair few give fairly steady dividends.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 15:13   #9
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

So Premium Bonds only pay 'interest' if you win a prize right ?

So it is feasible that, for a person with less than average luck, they are worse than putting the lot in a savings account ?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:33   #10
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
They chuck out the prizes in £25 chunks, there is a premium bond checker somewhere, you could win a million or £500 as my Mother in Law just did, but mostly you're gonna pick up an average of so many £25 in a year. I was doing slightly better than expected for the first 4 months, £75 a month on a £40k investment which would be 2.25% but only got £25 this month.

Martin Lewis seems to have a downer on them, I'm guessing they don't pay click through fees.

Decent savings rates are getting impossible, I cling to about 1.25% on my Marcus but I've been with them a while, don't think a newbie gets that.

Even if you chucked it away for five years, you're not getting much more of a return.

So admittedly you could have terrible luck and win no prizes, but in reality it's designed that anyone with a decent chunk in there is gonna do about right.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote