Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 09-11-2020, 20:25   #13741
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Finally got my MS dispatch email at 7pm. And still got two pending payments for same amount, hovering over my bank account. They double-dip & I’ll be looking for some free GamePass months added to my account!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 22:42   #13742
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Well my Series S turned up at 8:40am this morning with no dispatch or tracking information provided. Gonna be a while before I can play a Next Gen Optimised Title as the patches are huge for the AAA stuff. COD Cold War needed a manual install of the Series S/X version as it's not Smart Delivery.

Last edited by dataloss; 10-11-2020 at 10:57.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:44   #13743
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

My X is here, I’ve got a lot of cable management to do on my desk so I may have to wait for a while before it goes in
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:47   #13744
TonyG

My Series X arrived about 20 mins ago. Just did all the updates & currently installing Watchdog Legions. Everything going smoothly so far....
Old 10-11-2020, 14:50   #13745
Bish

My Series X has just arrive via DHL (Argos), I've not unboxed it fully yet but the corners are a bit battered.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 15:24   #13746
dunkle
Trusted User

I have to say, and I shouldn’t be surprised as knew pretty much all this before, but I am underwhelmed.

I copied all my games across to an external ssd from my old one x and copied them onto the series x. That’s very quick

But even then you obviously have to get the updates, so just under 30gb for gears tactics, around 50gb for Valhalla

I’m lucky that I have 350mb internet but even then it’s gonna take awhile
I’ll not be quick resuming anytime soon. I know no way around it, but would of been quite cool if you could of told the previous console, hey, I’m getting a series x, can I have the updates please. Maybe you could and I missed it

The controller as well. Not heard a bad thing about it but it feels very very light and not as premium as previous ones

I’m sure once all updated it will be fine, but even as a massive Microsoft fan and someone who has never got on with a PlayStation, I can’t help but feel, that for now, the ps5 is the more premium machine, especially with the controller updates. And as said this from someone who isn’t a PlayStation fan
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 16:40   #13747
cervaro
Still here, for now!

I have all my games on an external 4Tb WD Black drive with my fixed up One S. Shame none of the retailers I looked at this morning around 8am showed any stock. I believe Game had something late morning. Will need to wait for better stock availability as want the All Access option.
Old 10-11-2020, 16:44   #13748
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
I have to say, and I shouldn’t be surprised as knew pretty much all this before, but I am underwhelmed.

I copied all my games across to an external ssd from my old one x and copied them onto the series x. That’s very quick

But even then you obviously have to get the updates, so just under 30gb for gears tactics, around 50gb for Valhalla

I’m lucky that I have 350mb internet but even then it’s gonna take awhile
I’ll not be quick resuming anytime soon. I know no way around it, but would of been quite cool if you could of told the previous console, hey, I’m getting a series x, can I have the updates please. Maybe you could and I missed it

The controller as well. Not heard a bad thing about it but it feels very very light and not as premium as previous ones

I’m sure once all updated it will be fine, but even as a massive Microsoft fan and someone who has never got on with a PlayStation, I can’t help but feel, that for now, the ps5 is the more premium machine, especially with the controller updates. And as said this from someone who isn’t a PlayStation fan
I've been feeling this way for a while and thought the "new" controllers looked cheaper but didn't want to say until I'd held one.

Compared to the PS5 the Series X is lacking any magic. Something that will become less important once it has games to take advantage of its power but for now I'm not interested.
Old 10-11-2020, 17:42   #13749
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Well it's improved things for Watch Dogs Legion even though its still stuck at 30FPS it's got all the shiny puddles and reflections thanks to Ray Tracing along with smoother asset loading and general swaps between cut scenes and gameplay and games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps run at 4K even on the S.

Controller is much nicer than my default One X one and I like the reduced trigger throw and it just fits better in my hands.

Until Cross Generation titles fade away we won't really see what any of these machines can really do.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 00:19   #13750
TonyG

Watch Dogs Legion looks really nice with the ray tracing & gameplay has been fun so far. Certainly better than WD2.

Forza Horizon 4 running at 60hz with the enhanced graphics is gorgeous & combined with the improved controller, is a joy to play.

I agree that there is definitely a lack of “Wow”! to the new console but for me, just feels so much better than my cranky One-X. It’s scary how quiet the new console is & a little disappointing how little heat is pumping out the top. I guess I’ll have to rely on my actual heating to get me thru the winter!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:07   #13751
mjpartyboy
Trusted User

The Series X certainly is a well oiled machine, but if you don't have a TV that can take full advantage of it and you already own the One X, then you're not really missing out right now. Right now being the key. The One X isn't a slouch and also benefits from the X Enhanced games. So, if you're in that situation, I wouldn't fret and you certainly shouldn't pay over RRP for the Series X. It's definitely not worth an inflated price in my opinion and I've been with Xbox since the original console.

My One X Scorpio Edition's internal HDD developed a fault out of warranty, so I replaced it myself and went for a SSD. The SSD coupled with the One X's SATA III connection makes for a noticeable performance upgrade over the normal Xbox One and even its own HDD (I still have my Day One Edition and a 360 Premium).

Now, having used the dash and played the same X Enhanced game, Battlefield V, back-to-back on my SSD One X and Series X, there isn't really a discernible difference beyond perhaps loading times, due to the Series X's extra grunt, although whilst I didn't time them, I didn't feel like I was hanging around for the One X to load from the internal SSD in comparison. So, ultimately we need more of the Optimised for Series X|S updates to come along and then Series X|S exclusives to really separate these two generations of console.

If you skipped the One X and have gone from the original Xbox One to the Series X, then it will feel like an upgrade. For me, I've actually got a little bit of buyer's remorse, even with it costing me nothing, which isn't something I've felt with previous moves from one Xbox generation to a new one.

I don't mean for this to take the shine off your Series X launch days. Just wanted to share my thoughts, as a long-time Xbox user.

I had a PS4 for a while last gen, which I enjoyed my time on, except for the controller, but I'm not planning on getting a PS5 any time soon, even if it was readily available, but the fact it's got a new dash gives it an edge over the Series X. I get Microsoft's thoughts about the uniform dash, but when you boot up the Series X, you're seeing the same thing you've been looking at for years already. The first time you boot up a PS5, it will actually feel like something new, and whilst I disable controller vibration whenever possible, at least they've tried something different with the new DualSense controller. The One X to Series X move right now is nothing like the leap from the Xbox to HD Ready and blades dash 360.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:29   #13752
aliman5000
Clown X

The Series X has actual HDMI-CEC control AT LAST!

Other than that as others have said, it really doesn’t feel like a massive upgrade from the One X - especially if you were previously using an SSD with it too.

Although seeing GTA 5 load in less than ten seconds and the new HDR rendering was impressive.

I have always suspected the Series X (at launch at least) will just feel like the One X was ‘supposed to’ and it seems this is pretty accurate. Which isn’t a bad thing...just a little underwhelming.
Old 11-11-2020, 13:20   #13753
CraigKORE
★★★★★

I think technology has reached a point now with consoles where you are never again going to get a massive 'wow' factor like you did going from say a SNES to an N64.

The big improvements for me are with features like quick resume etc. Only had it for a day but the ability to jump form game to game in seconds is something I will never be able to live without again. I never appreciated that even after turning the console off, when you turn it on again, quick resume STILL works from whereever in the game you left it. No loading save files etc, just right back in! Not sure what voodoo is used for that but it's tremendous.

I have had a 4K TV for a while now running an Xbox One X through it, so the graphic jump or 'wow' factor was never going to be huge, but you can certainly tell a difference with the X/S upgrades. I think going forward with all gaming it will be small steps without anything mind blowing.

Last edited by CraigKORE; 11-11-2020 at 13:21.
CraigKORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 17:39   #13754
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,136 Times in 498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigKORE View Post
I think technology has reached a point now with consoles where you are never again going to get a massive 'wow' factor like you did going from say a SNES to an N64.
The SD to HD jump was the last big leap. Given a few years I'm sure there will be games that are jaw dropping on these new consoles (if you look at gears 5 even on standard xbox its really good and if the xbox one launched with that then I think people would have different view) now it takes a while to see a difference, which is a shame as it would be great to have something not only with amazing graphics but new gameplay ideas
Old 11-11-2020, 19:40   #13755
eye__writ
Trusted User

The best looking game I've seen so far for Series X was that gooey looking penis simulator.

Fingers crossed for Hellblade 2.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:00   #13756
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,723 Times in 597 Posts
Xbox One X does quick resume doesn't it?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:49   #13757
lentini
now with added cymbals

No
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:22   #13758
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,723 Times in 597 Posts
Strange I've turned it on before, and clicked on the game and it's taken me straight back in to where I stopped playing.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:37   #13759
lentini
now with added cymbals

That’s only for a single game. The Series X/S does it with multiple games, even when completely powered off
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:40   #13760
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
That’s only for a single game. The Series X/S does it with multiple games, even when completely powered off
Does this work on every game? Or only ones made for X?

Sent from my Xiaomi Poco X3 using Tapatalk