Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 18-03-2019, 21:00   #12901
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Another volume of Williams Pinball tables added to Pinball FX 3 tomorrow - well, it is my birthday.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 21:07   #12902
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Not sure if its worth starting a new thread for a game out next week, Generation zero. I like the concept but very little hype for it, will wait for reviews

I remember this being posted ages ago and liking the look, but I don't think I've seen a thing since!

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
Old 20-03-2019, 15:26   #12903
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,136 Times in 498 Posts
more gamepass coming soon

Vampyr is good but very janky
Old 20-03-2019, 16:36   #12904
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Had a feeling that Vampyr would hit Game Pass so didn't bite (pardon the pun) even at it's current cheap price. That first person RPG game looks reasonable too...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 19:09   #12905
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

March 21st:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
What Remains of Edith Finch

March 28th:
Walking Dead Michonne
Vampyr

March 29th:
Operencia: The Stolen Sun

April 1st:
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
Old 21-03-2019, 10:36   #12906
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

My mate was about to buy Vampyr the other night, luckily he didn't. Looking forward to that and Edith Finch.

The Deus Ex games are great if you haven't played them already.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:50   #12907
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Edith Finch looks nice visually. Is it worth a go?

Operencia looks decent too.

Aaarrgghh, too many games & not enough time to play them!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 12:40   #12908
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I watched an old ACG review and he said its less gameplay than telltale game, looks pretty. Apparently its short, perfect gamepass fodder, will be good for any MS quest rewards next month
Old 22-03-2019, 19:41   #12909
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Got a code for a Devil Breaker skin for Devil may cry 5 from XBL, if anyone is playing the game, they can have the code.
Old 23-03-2019, 08:50   #12910
JohnMac

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is another excellent game by From Software. Obviously it is set in a stylised version of Japan and it seems much more story driven (at least to begin with). With the grappling hook/prosthetic arm you can traverse the environments much faster and the gameplay / exploration has a lot more verticality to it. Stealth is also now a much more viable option. The speed with which you can switch between stealth, traditional combat and grappling around the environments, only to then bring bloody death from above is truly impressive when you get used to the game.

Although it is different in some ways from the Souls series it is also true that it still has some of that familiar Dark Souls DNA throughout the game. You’ll have your Temple area (similar to say, Firelink Shrine) where you return to get upgrades, where some important characters seem to congregate and there’s even a NPC who you can always do combat training with at no risk to you, or him it seems because he always comes back to life. You might want to keep going back to this trainer as new training types unlock as soon as you get your first prosthetic arm upgrade.

You’ll regularly notice similar items or things in the world that are the Seriko equivalents of their Dark Souls counterparts. You will rest at Sculptor Idols to rest and fast travel, so they are like the bonfires. You can find coin pouches which you will keep until you open them no matter if you die, these are like the soul packets. There is a Homeward Idol you can use to travel back to the temple or the last Idol you visited and so on. The game has that same excellent level design that rewards exploration.

OK so I’ve got the easy stuff out of the way and since I’m posting about a From Software game you knew you would encounter a difficult paragraph sooner or later. The combat can be challenging in this game and you can’t rely on keeping your distance and rolling out of the way of all enemy attacks here, although this can be useful at the start of tough enemy battles to get some counter-attacks in to reduce their vitality. You’ve really got to go toe to toe with the tough enemies and deflecting attacks will weaken an enemy’s poise so you can then finish them off. If you ever tried parry/ripose in Dark Souls and got good at it, then that skill will serve you well here. Jumping is also important to avoid enemy sweep attacks and then kick them while you are in the air. Tough battles can have a rock, paper, scissors dynamic where you need to read what sort of attack the enemy is doing and instantly respond with the correct counter move.

There is plenty more I could say but I don’t want to go on too long. However, there is one thing you absolutely, positively need to understand. The penalty for true death is much worse than Dark Souls. By true death i.e. when you have resurrected (yeah, that’s a thing as well) and then you die again without having any resurrection cores left or visited an idol. When you get true death you lose half your experience and half your money, returning to where you died to reclaim stuff is no longer an option. There is a 30% chance you’ll receive a unseen aid in which case you will not lose anything. But true death comes with an even steeper price. There is a chance that an item called Dragonrot is put in your inventory which not only reduces your unseen aid chance to 15% but you then carry with you a disease which can infect NPCs, the more dragonrot items you have the greater the chance of infection. This disease can kill NPCs and cut off access to side quests entirely.

So take my advice, I promise you it will serve you well and have another benefit that I will come to. As soon as you get your prosthetic arm and set out into the first big area grind to unlock a full second resurrection core. Once you’ve got two full cores you can safely resurrect once and still use your homeward idol and teleport back to a sculptor idol where you will magically have two full cores again. You will also protect yourself from losing half your experience and money. Each time you fill up an experience bar you gain a skill point which cannot be lost even on true death. Basically, if you keep getting true death you are going to find it very difficult to gain skill points, so grind an area to top your resurrection cores back up and gain a few skill points before taking on a boss.

Edit: I might not be 100% right about some of the terminology or gameplay aspects, I’m still trying to figure it out.

Last edited by JohnMac; 23-03-2019 at 11:48.
Old 23-03-2019, 13:56   #12911
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

The XBox One Thread Pt3 - discuss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

If you like walking simulators, itís essential. Breathes a bit of life into the genre, has some really creative storytelling, and is a visual trip. Itís not too long either, so never outstays its welcome.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 14:16   #12912
SGP_Mustang
mm, beer.

Dammit. Bought Vampyr last week. Also bought that Deus Ex game a year ago and I've still not played it

https://twitter.com/Zeppelin0309

Last edited by SGP_Mustang; 24-03-2019 at 14:18.
SGP_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 15:02   #12913
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is another excellent game by From Software. Obviously it is set in a stylised version of Japan and it seems much more story driven (at least to begin with). With the grappling hook/prosthetic arm you can traverse the environments much faster and the gameplay / exploration has a lot more verticality to it. Stealth is also now a much more viable option. The speed with which you can switch between stealth, traditional combat and grappling around the environments, only to then bring bloody death from above is truly impressive when you get used to the game.

Although it is different in some ways from the Souls series it is also true that it still has some of that familiar Dark Souls DNA throughout the game. Youíll have your Temple area (similar to say, Firelink Shrine) where you return to get upgrades, where some important characters seem to congregate and thereís even a NPC who you can always do combat training with at no risk to you, or him it seems because he always comes back to life. You might want to keep going back to this trainer as new training types unlock as soon as you get your first prosthetic arm upgrade.

Youíll regularly notice similar items or things in the world that are the Seriko equivalents of their Dark Souls counterparts. You will rest at Sculptor Idols to rest and fast travel, so they are like the bonfires. You can find coin pouches which you will keep until you open them no matter if you die, these are like the soul packets. There is a Homeward Idol you can use to travel back to the temple or the last Idol you visited and so on. The game has that same excellent level design that rewards exploration.

OK so Iíve got the easy stuff out of the way and since Iím posting about a From Software game you knew you would encounter a difficult paragraph sooner or later. The combat can be challenging in this game and you canít rely on keeping your distance and rolling out of the way of all enemy attacks here, although this can be useful at the start of tough enemy battles to get some counter-attacks in to reduce their vitality. Youíve really got to go toe to toe with the tough enemies and deflecting attacks will weaken an enemyís poise so you can then finish them off. If you ever tried parry/ripose in Dark Souls and got good at it, then that skill will serve you well here. Jumping is also important to avoid enemy sweep attacks and then kick them while you are in the air. Tough battles can have a rock, paper, scissors dynamic where you need to read what sort of attack the enemy is doing and instantly respond with the correct counter move.

There is plenty more I could say but I donít want to go on too long. However, there is one thing you absolutely, positively need to understand. The penalty for true death is much worse than Dark Souls. By true death i.e. when you have resurrected (yeah, thatís a thing as well) and then you die again without having any resurrection cores left or visited an idol. When you get true death you lose half your experience and half your money, returning to where you died to reclaim stuff is no longer an option. There is a 30% chance youíll receive a unseen aid in which case you will not lose anything. But true death comes with an even steeper price. There is a chance that an item called Dragonrot is put in your inventory which not only reduces your unseen aid chance to 15% but you then carry with you a disease which can infect NPCs, the more dragonrot items you have the greater the chance of infection. This disease can kill NPCs and cut off access to side quests entirely.

So take my advice, I promise you it will serve you well and have another benefit that I will come to. As soon as you get your prosthetic arm and set out into the first big area grind to unlock a full second resurrection core. Once youíve got two full cores you can safely resurrect once and still use your homeward idol and teleport back to a sculptor idol where you will magically have two full cores again. You will also protect yourself from losing half your experience and money. Each time you fill up an experience bar you gain a skill point which cannot be lost even on true death. Basically, if you keep getting true death you are going to find it very difficult to gain skill points, so grind an area to top your resurrection cores back up and gain a few skill points before taking on a boss.

Edit: I might not be 100% right about some of the terminology or gameplay aspects, Iím still trying to figure it out.
Re NPCs, I don't think they can die. Their side missions are just limited until they're cured.

I've completed Dark Souls 3, but almost quit this yesterday. After about 30 attempts, I finally beat the Chained Ogre, so am going to push on for now. Not sure for how long though. I need games to be fun these days, and this so far hasn't been.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:12   #12914
JohnMac

Thanks for the clarification, I’ve had a few true deaths since I posted and once you get the Dragonrot item it feels like part of the story and something you would actually miss out on if you tried avoiding it for the full game.

Another thing it seems I was wrong about are those resurrection cores or whatever their name is. If you are in a regular level with standard enemies you can definitely lose your second core and need to build it up again by killing enemies to give you that two resurrection back-up. I have been able to use two resurrections in a boss battle, get true death, not receive unseen aid and repeat with both resurrections available.

I like to think I’m quite good with the original Dark Souls, I got all the achievements on the 360 version and well on course to do the same with the Remastered version. With Sekiro I’m definitely finding it harder. Sure, regular enemies aren’t bad and the game has a flow which is really impressive when you pull off a killing streak with style.

It is the boss and mini boss encounters that I seem to be really bad at right now. I just find it tricky to instinctively respond to boss attacks with the correct counter - I’m not sure I like that boss fights have QTE-like elements. Well not literally, but you have to read which attack type is coming and press the corresponding counter move button or you’ll likely take a lot of damage. I’m just really bad at that right now and having poor eyesight probably doesn’t help. I just feel like you had more fighting options in the Souls games to tackle boss fights in different ways. Of course in this game you play a particular character rather than create your own, so it does make sense in that way.

With that said, we play these games to be challenged and there’s no question From Software have produced another classic.
Old 24-03-2019, 18:16   #12915
lettuce
XBL Gamertag: BlockABoots

Since when did portable USB harddrives stop advertising there speeds, currently have a 300GB WD Elements USB drive and when playing with friends im always the last one to load in.

I need a fast USB drive
Old 26-03-2019, 15:38   #12916
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

GWG april

Xbox One
The Techomancer
Outcast: Second Contact

Xbox 360
Star Wars Battlefront II (OG Xbox)
Tom Clancy's Advanced Warfighter 2

Techomancer could of been good but so janky. Outcast: Second Contact might be good, I remember it on the PC (only had the demo disc as I was at school and didn't have access to many games back then)
Old 26-03-2019, 18:13   #12917
The Chad
XBL: EvilMonkey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
Since when did portable USB harddrives stop advertising there speeds, currently have a 300GB WD Elements USB drive and when playing with friends im always the last one to load in.

I need a fast USB drive
Could be worth looking at SSDs if you want to speed things up. Can get a 240Gb SSD and USB enclosure for as little at £38.

I went for this option after getting annoyed with slow load times and items not rendering in on PUBG. Since I went over to the SSD I load into the lobby way before the start of the match and items are always rendered in as soon as I land
Old 28-03-2019, 11:04   #12918
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
GWG april

Xbox One
The Techomancer
Outcast: Second Contact

Xbox 360
Star Wars Battlefront II (OG Xbox)
Tom Clancy's Advanced Warfighter 2

Techomancer could of been good but so janky. Outcast: Second Contact might be good, I remember it on the PC (only had the demo disc as I was at school and didn't have access to many games back then)
I loved Outcast back when it was first released and when Outcast II got cancelled I was not best pleased. It has updated graphics (it does seem to have some performance issues on One S) but they had to redo the intro movie and made it nowhere near as good so if you do play it YouTube the original intro.

I still have a couple of clip compilations on my feed, scroll down and the 3rd and 4th from the end are both for Outcast. I delete most of my clips and only ever have a dozen or so at any one time.
https://xbox-clips.com/JohnMacUK/

Outcast is awesome for those who played it originally but Iím not sure if somebody playing it for the first time would get just how important Outcast was back then. If you do play it, talk to everyone as you would in say, Mass Effect, gather resources to make ammo for different weapons, help the leaders of each region to affect enemy strength or go into their bases and try to take them out when they are strongest. Apart from respawning patrols, once you kill enemies they stay dead. The game is probably an acquired taste these days with its very quirky otherworldly culture to immerse yourself in and its tongue in cheek humour.
Old 28-03-2019, 12:39   #12919
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
I loved Outcast back when it was first released and when Outcast II got cancelled I was not best pleased. It has updated graphics (it does seem to have some performance issues on One S) but they had to redo the intro movie and made it nowhere near as good so if you do play it YouTube the original intro.

I still have a couple of clip compilations on my feed, scroll down and the 3rd and 4th from the end are both for Outcast. I delete most of my clips and only ever have a dozen or so at any one time.
https://xbox-clips.com/JohnMacUK/

Outcast is awesome for those who played it originally but Iím not sure if somebody playing it for the first time would get just how important Outcast was back then. If you do play it, talk to everyone as you would in say, Mass Effect, gather resources to make ammo for different weapons, help the leaders of each region to affect enemy strength or go into their bases and try to take them out when they are strongest. Apart from respawning patrols, once you kill enemies they stay dead. The game is probably an acquired taste these days with its very quirky otherworldly culture to immerse yourself in and its tongue in cheek humour.
thanks, no doubt I will give it a go before disappears from GwG
Old 28-03-2019, 15:49   #12920
JohnMac

So, Outward then. I read a comment that said it is Dragon’s Souls, referencing Dragon’s Dogma and the Dark Souls series of course. Nighttime is definitely dark as Dragon’s Dogma and it definitely has that sense of going on your own expedition into the wilds. There’s tough combat like Dark Souls but I doubt I would compare it primarily with that series just because it has tough stamina based combat.

If you are familiar with Gothic, the Risen series and Elex you’ll have a good idea what to expect. This is an RPG that doesn’t hold your hand, although there is a tutorial in the main menu I would recommend going through. However, you can’t just go around picking up huge quantities of stuff. Outward has survival elements from how much you can carry, cooking food, crafting things and even the temperature can affect you. There is a map and a compass but your position will not appear on said map, so you will need to take notice of landmarks and instructions.

You do feel like you are going on your own adventure and your first time outside your home town might feel a lot like Dragon’s Dogma, when you realise that your torch and lantern are so ineffective at lighting the darkness it might be safer sleeping at home in your very own lighthouse.

Some people are going to love this game and take the time to explore the world, caves and enroll with one of the factions. Others will probably wonder what all the fuss is about. Oh one more thing, the game uses auto save so you have to live with your adventure whatever happens. There are dozens of scenarios that could happen to you on death - some kind stranger might find you and bring you home, the bandit who killed you may take you back to their camp and you need to escape and find your gear (I don’t want to talk about that bit really, I’m trying to forget).

Edit: Developers, please consider increasing font sizes that are needlessly tiny. I just do not understand why they use such small font sizes.

Last edited by JohnMac; 28-03-2019 at 16:02.