Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 09-08-2007, 14:06   #1
ajw000
Trusted User

Anyone Developing Facebook app?

Thinking of doing one(once I can actually come up with something useful!).

Seems pretty good network of developers, and the API/Libraries seem reasonably easy to get to grips with. Would be just using the PHP client library for simplicities sake. Think it would be a cool to develop a useful app, although would probably end up being some lame zombie rip-off

Anyone had a pop at it? Whats the validation procedure like?
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 14:15   #2
Guest 541
Trusted User

Bear in mind that if you do come up with something good, you'll need some very serious hosting arranged for the amount users Facebook has.
Guest 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25   #3
Guest 10361
Trusted User

As you say I found it fairly easy to get into but harder to work out exactly how it should utilise Facebook features and how it "promoted" itself without spamming (which it looks like they are cracking down on). They've built a very nice API and platform although it's so new and still undergoing almost daily changes. Definitely worth going in with an app in mind rather than just playing around.
Guest 10361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30   #4
Guest 57630
Trusted User

I'd love to know what the motivation is to develop an app on facebook. There's tons of them.
Guest 57630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:42   #5
Guest 337
I hate Hewlett Packard

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post
I'd love to know what the motivation is to develop an app on facebook. There's tons of them.
...and almost all of them are pointless crap.
Guest 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:51   #6
Guest 9469
Trusted User

When i put the effort in to develop good apps I don't wan't to tie myself into someone elses software and run the risk of them taxing my profits in the future. If it is a good idea you don't need facebook - if you need the hype to get people to use it then expect to lose users as quickly as they come.
Guest 9469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38   #7
home_bas
Trusted User

It is an excellent way to get access to a user base though. If you wrote a half-useful app and get your friends to add it, friends of theirs may add it and so on.

Sure, you potentially stand to lose 'control' of your app through FB licencing, but if it takes off its a good shop window for yourself if you're happy to write off the IP.

There's a developer conf coming up soon, I might go to it. Still haven't had time to develop on it but would like to give it a go and get some ideas from others.
home_bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 19:58   #8
Guest 10361
Trusted User

You'll also find that advertisers are looking for the current "in crowd" - so apps that are engaging, "viral" and have the backing of a brand or product will be on the increase.
Guest 10361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 00:08   #9
Guest 9469
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas View Post
It is an excellent way to get access to a user base though. If you wrote a half-useful app and get your friends to add it, friends of theirs may add it and so on.
So kind of like a very limited version of the internet?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03   #10
neilalford
I angered a crow

I did vaguely consider writing one as well, as it looked fairly simple (despite having never done any real web coding other than HTML) but haven't yet had a single interesting idea that hasn't been done and which might actually be useful.

Didn't have any real reason for doing it other than showing off to my mates and pulling hot chicks!
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 15:28   #11
home_bas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehe View Post
So kind of like a very limited version of the internet?
I obviously note the smiley - but the point of facebook is that it's easier for things to grow within your friend base, and then out from there.

If it's a 'social' app, then it makes a lot of sense to use your existing friends database rather than piddle about getting people to register on yet another site.

I set up a social website last year which involved friends contacting each other as part of it, my job would have been a hell of a lot easier if I'd plugged it directly into facebook.
Old 12-08-2007, 16:26   #12
Guest 9469
Trusted User

In my experience, most successful web apps written by individuals (without VC funding!) have several features:
1. Address a niche audience
2. Provide a unique service
3. Don't require heavy marketing (because of 1 and 2)
4. Don't quickly come in and out of fashion

Because of 1 I think it is useful to be able to expose your application outside of a very small subset of people on the internet and because of 4 I wouldn't want to be tied to a platform that probably won't be popular in 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I think if you want to play around writing small toy apps then Facebook is an interesting option, but if you want to develop something that has the possibility of being very popular and is going to last, than set it up separately and then consider integrating some features with Facebook using a Facebook application.
Old 12-08-2007, 16:35   #13
kmurph
Trusted User

For anyone interested, the source code for the front page of Facebook has leaked and can be found @ http://facebooksecrets.blogspot.com/

Double dutch to me but hey, I'm not a developer. Forced to do VB for a couple of years at college and that put me off programming for life.

Hope this isn't threading on anyone's toes, but I got the link for the page from digg.
kmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 17:17   #14
home_bas
Trusted User

Interesting to look at - just standard PHP using their API calls, but suprisingly simple to see what's going on there.

Makes me keener to try re-write my app from last year using their API calls where necessary, shouldn't be too difficult by the looks of it.

One of the parts useful to me is access to the friends list, so will be interesting to see what's possible there.