Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 13:15   #1
Toge
North London is red

The Arsenal Thread - 06/07

Where to begin?! I'll think of something
Old 08-05-2006, 13:19   #2
swanny
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toge
Where to begin?! I'll think of something

Bit early for this thread
Old 08-05-2006, 15:58   #3
Guest 18906
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
Bit early for this thread
I could have sworn we still had another game left to play this season
Old 08-05-2006, 16:01   #4
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Bit keen Toge

I'm just jealous that I'm not gonna be able to create it this time
Old 08-05-2006, 16:04   #5
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
The other thread would have been closed shortly anyway as it is getting towards 3k in posts, so you might as well use this one although in future please wait until the old one has been closed.
Old 08-05-2006, 16:06   #6
lostboy182
Trusted User

Potential Signings for the summer?

SWP?.... RVN?
Old 08-05-2006, 16:23   #7
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Think Pires is on his way out so the need for a left winger would rule out SWP, RVN is too old to be signed by Wenger and he's stated Bartender is in line to move to the senior team. We don't need to replace anyone so any signings will either be promotion from the reserve side or another young 'un.

However this will all go to pot if Henry goes (touch wood he doesn't)
Old 08-05-2006, 17:24   #8
Gangster No 1
Trusted User

I think our youngsters are a team to be reckoned with, they are playing well and will only get better and better, plus we mostly have all positions covered now, and freddy is just starting to play well again.
But I would like to see an experienced midfielder signed, who can perform wonders, aswell as that it will help the the likes of cesc, flamini, diaby etc to get better.
Also would like to see a provern goal scorer signed and a young keeper to take the place of jen's when his time is up.
But before this, its the matter of the final
I recon we can do it, taking blinkers off; i think we play the best football on our day and no one can match us, but just hope they all turn up for the match.
Old 08-05-2006, 17:35   #9
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

I think it's safe to assume that Arsene will sign players you've never heard of while the press bleat on about players he has no interest in.
Old 08-05-2006, 18:13   #10
gjkendall
Gooner

Probably not a popular comment, but I would like to see Gilberto replaced!

By who, I don't know...but Gilberto consistently stands out for me as a weak link for me!
Old 08-05-2006, 18:35   #11
VurtHed
No Bounce, No Play

Heads up - tonight:

BBC Radio 4 8.30pm - 9.00pm

Quote:
Highbury, Out of Time

Highbury Stadium, the Arsenal. Built in 1913 on holy ground amidst corruption and uproar, it became by the 1930s a world famous and futuristic symbol of sporting modernity. Now, as the last ever crowds pour through the turnstiles, Radio 4 captures the spirit of Highbury in its final hours as a stadium.
Old 08-05-2006, 18:37   #12
lip_13
Big time loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall
Probably not a popular comment, but I would like to see Gilberto replaced!

By who, I don't know...but Gilberto consistently stands out for me as a weak link for me!

i would have thought the opposite - i'd think that most would want to see gilberto replaced. i think that there could be quite a few departures this summer. potentially all of these may not be there at the start of the new season - bergkamp, lauren (not needed with eboue and hoyte as cover), pires, cygan, gilberto, aliadiere, campbell, henry and cole. obviously no-one wants to see the last two go but if they do that leaves some big holes to fill. providing we are able to keep our big players, i'd say the main goal should be to sign a defensive central midfielder (esp with diaby going to be out for so long) and a goalkeeper to replace lehmann - i know he's been superb this season and may well have been our best player, but he's not getting any younger and its better to sign a good keeper now rather then waiting until his reactions and ability departs. i think we're ok on the wings - reyes, helb, ljunberg, walcott and van persie at a stetch. i wonder if lupoli will get more game time next season?
Old 08-05-2006, 18:57   #13
Toge
North London is red

Hoyte? Gilbert mate, euro 2008 RB!
Old 08-05-2006, 18:59   #14
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,722 Times in 596 Posts
Has Aliadiere got a chance in hell of getting in your first team?

Would love him back at the Molineux next season on loan again or something.
Old 08-05-2006, 19:05   #15
Guest 7237
Trusted User

New season, new thread, and goodbye to a real legend!

Noooooooooooo, Gilberto has taken most of the season to adjust to a Vieira-less midfield but this past few months he's been great. Even showing his world cup world class form in the UCL!

Also I disagree about showing Lauren the door, he's another quality player that shouldn't be booted out. Me; I reckon Hoyte's on his way out if anything. Along with Aliadiere ( ) and Cygan.

For me, I don't want to see anyone else go, at least from the first team - Pires I'd love to stay, Cole & Henry of course and Campbell if Wenger reckons he's still capable.

Reports today are already linking Wenger with a move for Thuram. And so it starts

Last edited by Peter UK; 08-05-2006 at 19:07.
Old 08-05-2006, 19:34   #16
lip_13
Big time loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter UK
Reports today are already linking Wenger with a move for Thuram. And so it starts
and so it starts indeed! it isn't very wenger though is it? i can't see him signing anyone over the age of 28. forgot about gilbert - if eboue is first choice then i can't see lauren wanting to stay and we could probably do with adding some funds to the transfer kitty. i don't think aliadiere is good enough - hasn't be able to get much of a run together even when he's been on loan and with lupoli and bendtner coming through, i think his time is up. gilberto has had some good games recently, especially in europe but i don't think he's had a good few months. for a midfielder who's meant to be defensive he gives the ball away waaayy too much. don't particularily need anyone skillfull in there, just someone who can tackle, pass and look at what goes on around him. if you watch fabregas play he always looks at what's going on around him and when a ball is played to him he takes a look up even before he gets the ball. gilberto plays with blinkers on and constantly runs himself into trouble
Old 08-05-2006, 20:09   #17
Guest 2055
Perciville schuba Gerbick

I hope Pires signs I think he is still an absolutely vital player.
Old 08-05-2006, 20:20   #18
Guest 7237
Trusted User

IMO he's much maligned.

I agree, he's had a stinker for most of this season, as have a fair few Arsenal players.

But with the emergence of Cesc, or at least Gilberto feeling able to 'trust' him, he can concentrate on his defensive role and there's few who do better IMHO.

Song is almost an indentikit of him which is why I'm hoping he'll stay too. He can go forward and does occassionally play brilliant forward passes but his defensive duties are vital to the Arsenal.
Old 08-05-2006, 20:38   #19
Guest 15579
Jin & Jews

Ok what I'd like to see...

Eboue stays as 1st choice right back with Gilbert as back-up. Lauren stays at the club and is used in central midfield to add bite and experience. No other central midfielder needed unless Diaby never returns. That leaves us with Gilberto, Lauren, Flamini, Fabregas & Diaby for midfield.

Cole will hopefully and probably stay. So thats Cole & Clichy for left back. Jens still 1st choice GK, wouldn't mind seeing the back of Almunia and a young GK with high potential being brought in.

Centre backs - Toure, Senderos and ? Another centre back needs to be brought in. Sol will still be here come next season, we just need him to pick up his form and focus. Hopefully an injury free season next year. Djourou is a good enough back up, possibly working his way up the pecking order. Hopefully Cygan will move on, free up some space on the wage bill.

Wingers - Ljungberg & Hleb. Kind of hoping Pires will move on, very poor these days besides the occasional decent performance. This position needs sorting out the most, very little back up, it doesnt help that Hleb & Ljungberg are inconsistant. Not sure about Reyes at all and I'm not sure he wants to be at the club, he's young so he could find form at any moment.

Strikers - As you are with Henry staying and Walcott making the step up.

So...

Out - Pires & Cygan

In - Winger/s and central defender please!

Last edited by Kronik; 08-05-2006 at 20:39.
Old 08-05-2006, 22:01   #20
Guest 38715
Trusted User

I liked the old thread, it was a season long thread of ups and downs, like no other season. We have still got one game left anyhow.
Closed Thread