Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 07-04-2021, 15:04   #21
simplemick
Five Miles High..

How did everyone get on with their Quests?

I've ordered one for my son's birthday but I'm equally keen to have a go.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:57   #22
sp4rk13
XBox GT: Sheppio

I like mine. It's not going to replace my Xbox any time soon but it's great for a quick blast here and there.

My current go-to game is Gun Raiders on the Oculaus App Lab (free). It's in its early stages but it's got a Halo multiplayer feel.
sp4rk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 13:59   #23
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4rk13 View Post
I like mine. It's not going to replace my Xbox any time soon but it's great for a quick blast here and there.

My current go-to game is Gun Raiders on the Oculaus App Lab (free). It's in its early stages but it's got a Halo multiplayer feel.
Mine actually did... I wound up selling my Xbox to buy a Quest 2.
GodBlessTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:37   #24
cliff homewood
Trusted User

So on the PC VR there is loads of free games, often promotional playable levels, like spider-man, batman, star trek, star wars etc. DO all of these have to be loaded via a PC on a Quest 2 or are they available straight from the headset?
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 15:34   #25
dochall
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
So on the PC VR there is loads of free games, often promotional playable levels, like spider-man, batman, star trek, star wars etc. DO all of these have to be loaded via a PC on a Quest 2 or are they available straight from the headset?
There's a lot of free stuff directly on the quest but the examples you give would need to run on the PC with a link (either a cable or via wifi using remote desktop).

There is the ability to sideload on the quest (https://sidequestvr.com/) which (once you've jumped through hoops to set up a dev account) has a lot of early release/experiments which are free.
dochall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 13:57   #26
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Thanks am considering getting one, as woudl be nice to have a wireless VR headset, good you cna do it via wifi then, woudl both systems combine processing power when run through PC (mines not that modern) or would the headset be passive
Old 14-04-2021, 15:13   #27
sp4rk13
XBox GT: Sheppio

Quote:
Thanks am considering getting one, as woudl be nice to have a wireless VR headset, good you cna do it via wifi then, woudl both systems combine processing power when run through PC (mines not that modern) or would the headset be passive
Processing power is not combined. All the Quest is doing in the link scenario is decoding a video stream. The PC actually has to do more as, in addition to rendering, it has to encode the video/audio stream that it sends to the Quest.

Announced in the last day or so is Oculus Air, Oculus' own wireless streaming so you don't have to use (and pay for) Virtual Desktop. It's only just being rolled out so may not have reached everyone and no idea how good it is compared to VD. --> https://www.oculus.com/blog/introduc.../?locale=en_GB
sp4rk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 00:05   #28
son of thunder
Trusted User

I thought my 40 years of Video gaming was coming to an end a lot of games just no longer held my interest. Then I took a punt on an Oculus quest 2 on the 15th of Jan and I'm on it every single day.

It's probably the best thing I've bought for some time. I was slightly into Table tennis in real life but was hampered by not having a regular player to play against and obviously Covid, but Eleven table tennis is hands down the best video game I've ever bought.

I love the price of the games and also the regular deals. I recently bought In death unchained another brilliant game and also Moss for a slight change of pace.

Another must purchase, well it was for me was the Elite headset. Its a bit pricey but it definitely helps get that sweet spot for focus. I know there are issues with it cracking but its been fine for me.

Last edited by son of thunder; 27-04-2021 at 00:09.
son of thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 01:18   #29
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of thunder View Post
I thought my 40 years of Video gaming was coming to an end a lot of games just no longer held my interest. Then I took a punt on an Oculus quest 2 on the 15th of Jan and I'm on it every single day.

It's probably the best thing I've bought for some time. I was slightly into Table tennis in real life but was hampered by not having a regular player to play against and obviously Covid, but Eleven table tennis is hands down the best video game I've ever bought.

I love the price of the games and also the regular deals. I recently bought In death unchained another brilliant game and also Moss for a slight change of pace.

Another must purchase, well it was for me was the Elite headset. Its a bit pricey but it definitely helps get that sweet spot for focus. I know there are issues with it cracking but its been fine for me.
I'm the same but with PSVR. Had a real Mario 64 moment yesterday playing Astrobot for the first time in the sense of yes, this is new and hasn't been done before.

The club level in Hitman 3 is amazing too, it may have been lockdown but that level made me feel like I was actually in a club. Difficult to put it across but when you play it when it comes out on PCVR you'll understand what I mean. A godsend if you missed the clubs in lockdown or just live music in general. It's that powerful as an experience.
jmdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:02   #30
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Bought myself a Quest 2 64Gb, due thursday, looking at games now but there's some terminology to get used too.

So my fave game is System Shock 2, Bioshock is second, and found there's a Bioshock 2 mod. Not sure if mods are ok for chatting on here? But then I came across the term VORPX when reading about it. So my guess is with these mods you would still have to play with keyboard and mouse, that the Quest 2 handhold devices wouldn't work with them? Also gets confusing what is and isnt, as read that your weapons are all wrong at your face or something and you have trouble doing certain commands with your head.

So is Skyrim VR the same as that is often mentioned.

When it comes to my PC porting games over to my Quest 2 headset this is what I am currently worknig with

NViDIA GTX 630 graphics card
Intel Quad Core 3.73 ghz - this wasnt as good as I thought when I bought the PC seems mine is some sort of threading technology/architecture which was a dead end as everybody else went a different way. "In practice however, the 3.73 GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition almost always proved to be slower than the 3.46 GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, which is most likely due to the lack of an L3 cache and the longer instruction pipeline"
8 GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro
Solid state hard drive plus normal one

Woudl love to play No Mans Sky but not sure if my system would cope as that's meant to be resource heavy. Plays Alien Isolation and Star Wars Battlefields 2 fine.
Old 11-05-2021, 13:18   #31
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Found out my PC couldnt play No Mans Sky yesteerday via downloading a systems requirement check, as I suspected. But then I read the game involves major grind - that doesn't sound good.

Im into SF and more interested in the storytelling aspect than anything else, hence my fave games being System Shock 2 & Bioshock. Tried Half Life 2 and found it too hard, Want to be able to move through a game relatively quickly and not spend many hours on the grind of getting through a certain bit. Resident Evil 2 for instance didn't get any further than the alleyway and cop car outside the store.
Old 11-05-2021, 13:26   #32
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Found out my PC couldnt play No Mans Sky yesteerday via downloading a systems requirement check, as I suspected. But then I read the game involves major grind - that doesn't sound good.

Im into SF and more interested in the storytelling aspect than anything else, hence my fave games being System Shock 2 & Bioshock. Tried Half Life 2 and found it too hard, Want to be able to move through a game relatively quickly and not spend many hours on the grind of getting through a certain bit. Resident Evil 2 for instance didn't get any further than the alleyway and cop car outside the store.
I gave No Man's Sky a go when it first came out and even the short bit I did felt like a bit of a grind. They've added a lot more since then.

I'm not sure if Half Life: Alyx is out on the Quest yet, that was very good and all story, no grind at all.
Old 12-05-2021, 13:03   #33
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yep its out and interested because someones done a Bioshock mod for it, which makes a level half halflife half bioshock. As I stated never got into Halflife, altohugh would like to play Bioshock VR, so my choices seem to be to port Bioshock 2 or buy Half LIfe Alex, but that game seems pretty expensive though.

Got home from footie last night and knackered so didn't want to move, have added my sofa so wanted to play a game sitting to try the system out. Went for Echo VR think it was. First had trouble pressing button to release disc as had to put my finger inside my body or move from my seat to press the button and there was no option to move the button futher back. Seems when in couch mode there needs to be an option to heighten the floor with it to make it in line with where you are sitting.

When finally got past that there was a travel in zero g tutorial, trying to push off, create momentum to get to next column, but no the game isnt designed like that, its climbing, you have to be able to touch the next column, but cant reach it, look around, nope cant reach anthing, only worked by using the control on right to move the camera round but then this gave me motion sickness so had to come out.

Wondering if I need a left handed mode or not or does it matter, found if you held the controls the other way around my arms were crossed in front of me.
Old 12-05-2021, 14:32   #34
allan175
Trusted User

Half Life: Alyx is less "full on" than Half Life 2. Probably because it would be too hard in VR.

"Moss" is a nice puzzle based adventure, although more Fantasy than SF.
Old 13-05-2021, 13:17   #35
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Cool sounds good to me, as I find shooting a load of people to progress can be a grind as well, don't mind 3 or 4 attempts but after that want to be able to move on with the game!

I found Bioshock Infinite not as good as Bioshock because although the ziplines were fun, seemed to be more fighting and less storytelling.

So far as a scifi geek gonig to be buying Doctor Who Edge of Time and Star Wars stuff, heard Squadrons is hard, so probably going to start with Vader Immortal. Shame I missed Star Wars day on the system where i could have got a deal on the lot.

Alos got to learn about the other games stores as well, sideloading, experiment lab and whatever that other lab was called as well