Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 25-03-2008, 17:04   #121
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver K View Post
I think the extras, provided they keep up with the ones on El Cid, are reason enough for a purchase. Oliver
Oliver K is right: my Cid arrived over the weekend and I must record my excitement over the extras on Disc 2. The Making of El Cid is a solid piece of work, the 52-minute doco on Bronston is excellent, mainly due to the three main interviewees - Bronston's son, Nagle and Rosendorf, the biographers, who are highly articulate. Then there was the 17-minute profile of Anthony Mann - again quite excellent with longish extracts from two interviews with Mann that I had not seen before. Haven't got to the Rozsa film yet but I must say these extras do indeed make the set well worth having. Only the absence of Sophia Loren is really disappointing - maybe she's holding herself in readiness for a star turn on the extras for Fall?
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 08:20   #122
Guest 45586
Trusted User

In the interests of thoroughness, I have now seen the Rozsa film. A rather moving item it is, with his daughter and a couple of disciples who have vivid memories of the man and insights into his music - it's all Magyar at its deepest level. The film has quite a lot on his early life, then skips to El Cid and his final years when a stroke left him physically disabled. It's very touching.

The last 'extra' is a bit about the so-called 'restoration' of the film. For Europeans, this new DVD is no real improvement on previous versions, though for Americans it is the first DVD available. Poor dears.
Old 05-04-2008, 20:49   #123
Guest 56688
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris View Post
From the promotional information available on-line it appears (unless delayed) that the disc reaching us on April 29, will
be the 179 minute cut, with a listed aspect ratio of 2.35:1, which tells us that the film is being transferred from an older, extant 35mm elemen
dvd empire.com are listing The Fall of the Roman Empire DVD as being in 2.76:1 aspect ratio. Hope they are correct. http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=300988

Last edited by Gossage; 05-04-2008 at 20:56.
Guest 56688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:37   #124
Livius
Is it far?

A poster on the HTF who has already received The Fall of the Roman Empire says the case lists the running time as 185 mins. That apparently includes the overture, intermission and exit music, so - taking PAL speed-up into account - that should match up with the European version I have (173 mins). Discounting the overture etc, it doesn't sound as though any new material has been included then.

Last edited by Livius; 05-04-2008 at 21:39.
Livius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 14:59   #125
Livius
Is it far?

DVD Savant's review of Fall of the Roman Empire.
Can't say I agree with all he has to say about the movie, but there you go...
Old 14-04-2008, 01:19   #126
Guest 53019
Trusted User

The Savant has become a total bore. Pontificating about the film, little about the transfer other than the ludicrous comments about flat skin tones (due to makeup of the day??? - It is to laugh), and washed out scenes (due to elements??? - It is to laugh). Can this esteemed person who has been in the business working professionally since the 80s really know so little about film stock, color, and aspect ratios? But, he does get his free DVDs, so that's nice.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 08:01   #127
Livius
Is it far?

The Beaver's review of FOTRE here.
Old 16-04-2008, 16:25   #128
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I'll have the disc soon, but someone at the HTF has already reported that the color (which the Beaver naturally describes as "coming to life" - man, does he need an education) is somewhat faded with the dreaded pasty skin tones, and that is revealed to be true in those screencaps (not that I trust the screencaps on his site). I hope it's otherwise, but too many people have mentioned it now. To wait all these years for these and have them be disappointments, color-wise, when there is absolutely no reason for it in this day and age is just plain disheartening.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 16:05   #129
Guest 47807
Trusted User

That sounds like my comment. The picture is certainly not as bad as EL CID; at least it's sharp with good contrast but the colours seem to have a brownish tint. Skin colours do look pale to me; there's one scene where Sophia Loren's face is so white that you can barely make out her features.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 19:54   #130
Guest 59672
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Some news via DVD Savant:

The Hollywood Reporter sez that the Miriam Collection's The Fall of the Roman Empire will indeed come out April 29 from Genius in a three-disc set with many extras. The notice also offers the information that 55 Days at Peking and Circus World will follow. I've gotten several emails asking about Circus World, so now they know that it isn't being ignored.
Anything on when Circus World will be released?
Guest 59672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 18:53   #131
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Has anyone yet seen Roman Empire? Or listened to the commentary? Well, I've done both this week. The transfer is excellent, I think, indeed incredibly beautiful - this is surely one of the most lavish, opulent, gorgeously shot films ever made. As a drama it has its problems and it's a shame that this print lacks the famous 'trilemma' scene. As for the commentary - it's by Bronston's son, Bill, and Mel Martin, author of a very disappointing biography of Bronston. Their commentary is evidently recorded live and often comes across as a real conversation. But it is terribly under-researched, disorganised, sometimes embarrassing, generally tedious. Bill Bronston admits he knows nothing about his father's business, that he was always denied access to what was going on (he was about 30 when these movies were made). So he bangs on and on and on AND ON about the film's contemporary relevance and its importance in the fight for world peace and how his dad seemingly brought about a revolution in the Spanish economy. Mel Martin gives us he film fan's view - capsule biogs of the cast and crew, some useful comparisons to the plot structure of El Cid, and a lot of repetitive padding. I forget the number of times he mentions Mary Poppins and the assassination of JFK. Oh, and lots and lots and lots of oh my gosh, look at that, isn't it huge, do you know how many men it took to do that, sort of stuff. He mentions Gladiator at the start but never follows it up with direct scene-for-scene comparisons, especially at the end when Fall's arena-within-an-arena duel is repeated in Gladiator. Overall, this is one helluva soggy mess and another example of an opportunity squandered.

Last edited by Wendell Armbruster; 23-10-2008 at 18:56.
Old 23-10-2008, 18:58   #132
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Also, I have it on good authority that 55 Days at Peking and Circus World will not be released in the forseable future. Sales of El Cid and Roman Empire have been disappointing and the DVDs cost too much to produce. Sad.
Old 23-10-2008, 20:12   #133
Guest 59672
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
Also, I have it on good authority that 55 Days at Peking and Circus World will not be released in the forseable future. Sales of El Cid and Roman Empire have been disappointing and the DVDs cost too much to produce. Sad.
For now we have the Japanese dvd release of these films for the best transfers.
Guest 59672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 11:00   #134
Livius
Is it far?

I thought the Miriam edition FOTRE was an improvement over the Euro edition I already had. Never got around to listening to the commentary though - don't think I'll bother now.
It's unfortunate to hear that this and El Cid sold badly and will prevent the release of the other two titles. I have reasonable enough Euro editions of 55 Days and Circus World but it would have been nice to see them get the deluxe treatment.
Old 24-10-2008, 17:30   #135
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
Has anyone yet seen Roman Empire? Or listened to the commentary?
Not yet. The DVD has been in my "in" tray for weeks but I haven't had a really long evening free to do this film justice. The clocks go back this weekend and the evenings will start earlier. I'll probably watch FOTRE in the next week or so.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote