Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-06-2009, 01:08   #1
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Thumbs down Personal Affairs - BBC Three's worst show yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/personalaffairs/
One question:
How does a show this terrible actually make it to air?

0/10
From the retarded writing to the abysmal acting and the fact the show hasn't got a ******* clue what it wants to be, it's simply a disaster and an utter waste of TV licence fee money.
It had no right even being commissioned never mind going to series.
Hands down one of the worst shows I have ever seen and a complete embarrassment.

Last edited by Richie; 19-06-2009 at 01:18.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 06:48   #2
The404
In Stereo Where Available
 
The404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/personalaffairs/
One question:
How does a show this terrible actually make it to air?

0/10
From the retarded writing to the abysmal acting and the fact the show hasn't got a ******* clue what it wants to be, it's simply a disaster and an utter waste of TV licence fee money.
It had no right even being commissioned never mind going to series.
Hands down one of the worst shows I have ever seen and a complete embarrassment.
Given your stance on other tosh on TV that you seemingly loathe (90210 etc), I bet you'll continue to watch this

I've got it on my Sky planner, but only because Laura Aikman is pwerty
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:16   #3
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult
 
cjanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,363
Thanks: 583
Thanked 371 Times in 196 Posts
oh damn, i forgot to record is it repeated
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:23   #4
The404
In Stereo Where Available
 
The404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
oh damn, i forgot to record is it repeated
Knowing BBC Three, ad nauseam.

Click for schedule
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 10:27   #5
Guest 64454
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 529
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But the blonde is gorgeous!
Guest 64454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 11:00   #6
The404
In Stereo Where Available
 
The404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejetsons View Post
But the blonde is gorgeous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
but only because Laura Aikman is pwerty
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:28   #7
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
Given your stance on other tosh on TV that you seemingly loathe (90210 etc), I bet you'll continue to watch this
You know me far too well!
In all honestly I doubt I will watch this again, perhaps if it's on and I happen to turn over but I won't be putting it on the planner or making time for it (the only thing it's possibly good for is numbing the stupefying brain leak that is this year's Big Brother). It doesn't even have any "trashy" redeeming qualities as it's flat, lifeless and completely unfocused with a borderline-coma inducing plot commendable only in it's incomprehensible awfulness.

Last edited by Richie; 19-06-2009 at 14:32.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:18   #8
Hernster
Toon Army Member
 
Hernster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,092
Thanks: 223
Thanked 184 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
but only because Laura Aikman is pwerty
/ googles.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:38   #9
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
Laura Aikman is pwerty
until she opens her gob.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 16:22   #10
Londoner666
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmmm sexy secretaries, its very much like Hotel Babylon. I quite like the cheesy easy going nature of it. its fluff with eye candy on the screen. more like 5/10 watchable
Londoner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:02   #11
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
If by "cheesy easy going nature" you mean "leaden, sparse and suffocating".
There was more wit and sophistication in the puddle of puke I saw a tramp eating this morning than in the entire first episode of this show. In my original post I was going to put how this makes 'Hotel Babylon' look good but I didn't think anyone would believe me!
I watch a lot of terrible telly as The404 kindly pointed out but this is a new nadir.

These "women" are just offensive. They are not even developed enough to be stereotypes. The posh slut (who does nothing but shag anything - eh?); The scouse fame wannabe (is she meant to be a bit "special"? oh yeah and she can't stop shagging in the office either, she literally can't help herself); The other posh one (who is such a nonentity she disappears kick-starting the nominal "plot); The common one who is too thick to realise how smart she is (oh how charming and witty that is).

Then there's the "men". The scouser who is there for no apparent reason; the geezer workman doing something in the building who is conveniently married to the common one but who shags the posh slut in the lift anyway (why? why not!? it's zany yeah!!); The American who is another weird simpleton and wants to marry a woman he hasn't even dated (his assistant - the other posh one); "Dr Shag" who is pointless.

Then there's the weird Asian temp chick and her Orthodox Jew cable guy person although it's not clear what the hell he's doing or why he's there (except he isn't jewish, he's a beer swilling Scot and he just dresses up like that for some bizarre reason - and pretends to be deaf at one point - and they are undercover to steal millions in a massive electronic bank fraud plot. I'm not making this up!).
Then there's the lesbian boss who every now and then walks through a scene wearing a Marie Antoinette wig for no apparent reason and sometimes she doesn't. You can tell she's a lesbian because she doesn't wear make-up. Shocking!

Oh and did I mention how each boss "sees" the women in a different group setting as they enter the office? Group sex with leather and whips, the virginal lesbians in the garden of eden, the 1950s typing pool. Yawn, yawn, yawn! This kind of stuff worked in 'Ally McBeal' TEN YEARS AGO because it was a smart show with sharp scripts that set up "the rules" from the off, this crap is just all over the place from scene one. It can't decide if it wants to be a comedy (it fails) a drama (it fails) a satire (it fails). It thinks it's all of the above with engaging characters but when they are as vapid and as boring as the central women and men here, it's impossible to give to a ****.

The whole show is just a massive turd of WHAT. THE. ****?! None of it makes any sense, there's no solid idea of what the show is, it's just a jumbled load of bits from other better shows (why do two of the women get animated birds and petals flying around them as they are introduced but not the others?) all put in a blender, drunk down with a litre of vodka and puked back out again. Even the tramp I saw wouldn't swirl his finger in this and take a lick.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:23   #12
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult
 
cjanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,363
Thanks: 583
Thanked 371 Times in 196 Posts
so you don;t like it then,

is it better or worse than mistresses, which i did like

have sky+d a repeat over the weekend, will see how crap it is.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:29   #13
statto
Jedi Master
 
statto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 15,716
Thanks: 125
Thanked 448 Times in 221 Posts
I actually think that description from Richie could convince people to watch it.

Briefly caught a trailer for it, but it just looked naff.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:46   #14
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
is it better or worse than mistresses, which i did like
Oh 'Mistresses' is way, way better than this, which is to say that 'Mistresses' is still ***** but at least it's cute, watchable *****! I have a horrible feeling you're going to like this! "hmmm, vodka vom tastes gooood!"

Quote:
have sky+d a repeat over the weekend, will see how crap it is.
***Waits for Catherine to proclaim it her new favourite show!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto
I actually think that description from Richie could convince people to watch it.
What annoys me the most is that I could do it SOOOOO much better and sexier!

Last edited by Richie; 19-06-2009 at 17:48.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:59   #15
Boink!
Turned out nice again.
 
Boink!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Part of Europe
Posts: 24,167
Thanks: 1,526
Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
basically kills it
Awesome.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:06   #16
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult
 
cjanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,363
Thanks: 583
Thanked 371 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
***Waits for Catherine to proclaim it her new favourite show!***
oh, its going to have to be very very good to beat "my supersweet 16"

it sounds promosing, but thats more your description i suppose. ally mcbeal v2 would be good. only brothers and sisters fills that "us, girly soap drama " space (if you discount medical stuff like greys and private practice)
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:10   #17
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
oh damn, i forgot to record is it repeated
It is on the iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...cent_Proposal/
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 19:52   #18
The404
In Stereo Where Available
 
The404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Just watched it. It was indeed tosh, but fairly enjoyable tosh with some nice eye-candy!

Nowhere near the worst TV show on BBC Three. That crown squarely sits on the head of '2 Pints of lager and a packet of crisps', closely followed by 'Grown-Ups' and 'Coming of Age'
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 02:28   #19
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
So then, episode 2.

Quiz time, kiddies.

1. So you find out that the grumpy temp you've known for a whole 3 days and hate for stealing your promotion is actually going to commit a massive fraud later that day and put the blame on you and your mates. Do you:

a) Alert your bosses and security asap, get rewarded for your vigilance with the promotion you really wanted (despite your pregnancy) and get on your way up that career ladder with a secure future?

b) Continue to ponder the day's other really important questions like why your husband closed his eyes whilst shagging you last night?

or

C) Whine about it for a while and then tell the temp to reverse what she's done (unsupervised naturally) and clear off because you know, stealing £23m is sort of not on but then actually (with your mates) help the poor girl out of her fix (after she's already committed said massive fraud) because she cried about it and is actually really sorwy?


2. When the whole mess is cleared up and the money is back where it should be (hurrah! because no-one will bother checking those transactions, especially not in a bank!) do you:

a) Make sure the emo mong is held fully responsible for her actions and summarily dismissed?

b) Go back to vaguely caring about where your missing friend is whilst wondering who your husband is shagging, which is such a toughie as he's just a few feet away right next to London's most prolific slut?

or

c) Call her a "bit of a muppet" (because she's okay really and she did say sorry and cry so she must really, really mean it) and get everything back to normal in the office as soon as possible because really, what's a £23m robbery and complete lack of trust between soon to be besties?

Viva menses!

Now, the missing prim and proper friend. A secret S&M prossie you say? Oh of course. Why not!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:11   #20
statto
Jedi Master
 
statto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 15,716
Thanks: 125
Thanked 448 Times in 221 Posts
Surely the real quiz question is why did you watch the second episode?
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
Al Weaver, Annabel Scholey, Annette Badland, Archie Panjabi, Awful, bad, CRAP, Darren Boyd, Emily Bruni, Joe Absolom, Kieran Bew, Laura Aikman, Maimie McCoy, Mark Benton, Olivia Grant, Personal Affairs, Robert Gant, Rubbish, Ruth Negga, waste of money

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infernal Affairs Guest 8391 Film Discussion 125 05-04-2009 16:02
Internal Affairs-Where Can I Buy It From? Guest 35778 Film Discussion 4 29-02-2004 20:36
Infernal Affairs II Guest 8391 Film Discussion 9 28-01-2004 10:49

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.qq
Copyright ©2000 - 2021 Network N Ltd.