Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 31-01-2007, 14:17   #41
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
Also there is a scene in Lynch's "Lost Highway" where the camera just stares at the dark corner of a room, with the sound growing more ominous, that totally freaks me out.
Yup, that is absolutely terrifying and it's just a dark corner! Your imagination takes over though!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 14:19   #42
Hangover2004
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI
Is that aimed at me or the lads of this forum in general???
I just find you unnecessarily reduce the seriousness of the converstaion with your constant references to 'her this' or 'his that' or 'their things' and what they did with them.

Hell, I'm no prude, but to talk about ladies chest parts is a bit over the top!
Hangover2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 14:31   #43
akira9000
Team Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamstick
Audition - a simple, bittersweet human drama. Then it's not.

freaked me completely 1st time round. 10/10
Old 31-01-2007, 14:40   #44
Guest 337
I hate Hewlett Packard

Evil Dead is pretty tense and unyielding even though it doesn't take itself too seriously at times. Alien is a good ghost story but like all ghost stories, once you've seen it a few times, you know what's going to happen so it looses the jump value. The Ring (original) was pretty disturbing.

I find that lots of movies do a good job of scaring me first time I see them in the cinema. I remember thinking that Event Horizon was pretty scary when I saw it in the cinema but when I watched the DVD a couple of years later I realized it was pants. Mind you that might be because I'd seen a lot more movies in the mean time and could recognize it for the plagiarism and hackery that it is.

You're right about Hostel though, it's very mediocre in terms of scariness IMHO.

Last edited by Phill; 31-01-2007 at 14:41.
Guest 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 14:51   #45
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill
Alien is a good ghost story but like all ghost stories, once you've seen it a few times, you know what's going to happen so it looses the jump value.
How is Alien a ghost story ?

For me it's not jump scares which make the film frightening, but the overall atmosphere and the way the film engages the imagination of an audience.
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 16:42   #46
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

I was searching for the term 'boob' and came accross this thread

Seriously though I second the recommendations of the original Ringu and Shutter. A Tale of Two Sisters had it moments as well.

Surprised no one has mentioned Don't Look Now yet, the ending still freaks me out.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 17:13   #47
jamie_rowe
ungrateful he-bitch

Very little actually gives me the willies nowadays, though the '86 version of The Fly can still freak me out in the right mood.

I'll second The Eye and also The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Most of the modern horrors (Hostel/Saw/TCM rehashes) are pretty intense but never what I would call scary.

In a thriller vein, Se7en can also give me the creeps - far scarier than most actual horror films.

THE COLLECTION / MY TOP 20
jamie_rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 19:44   #48
Royle
Put the kettle on, Barb.

The way to really boost a film into brown pant mode is to watch it in a house alone at around 2am and sit with your back to the door. If you're feeling really brave leave the back door to the garden etc wide open

Films of choice for this scenario would be:

The Grudge (new or jap original)
The Ring (jap original aka Ringu)
Evil Dead 2
Switchblade Romance

Works even better if it's a windy night and things are creaking around the place
Royle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 20:08   #49
THROBACK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor
I was searching for the term 'boob' and came accross this thread
THROBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 21:02   #50
Quincunx
Dr Sexy

Mulholland Drive is generally disturbing and has one or two very scary moments (the bit in the diner with the man recounting his nightmare...).

The others that spring to mind have already been mentioned:

The Eye (the scene in the lift...)
The Blair Witch Project's tent scene
Session 9 - any excuse to post this:

The Buffy episode Hush is pretty good.
The Haunting (1963) has some good moments and Candyman is very good although I wouldn't describe it as scary exactly.
Quincunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 21:31   #51
DM
Self Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vodka
Probably because it seems so keen to push the limits of screen violence. You could say the same of Irreversible. I can't see myself watching either again anytime soon.
Nah, the gore was good. It was more the 'tension' funnily enough. The whole house scene is classic edge of the seat stuff, later carried onto the garage part.

Irreversible is a different kettle of fish, it isn't horror.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 22:48   #52
Guest 337
I hate Hewlett Packard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow
How is Alien a ghost story ?

For me it's not jump scares which make the film frightening, but the overall atmosphere and the way the film engages the imagination of an audience.

It's a ghost story in the same way that star wars is really a western and 28 Days Later is a zombie movie. ie it takes the conventions of the genre and applies them to a different time an place.

Consider the environment that Alien is set in, a house(spaceship) that you can't leave, long corridors, clinking chains, darkness. Then there's the scary thing that lurks unseen in the darkness and only makes it's presence felt is when it picks some unlucky cast member off when nobody else is about.

Do you see? no? nevermind then but I'm not the only person to say this about the movie.
Guest 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:02   #53
Guest 3532
Trusted User

Agree on Session 9, too, which has a location second only to The Shining for creepiness. Also Dark Water (original Japanese) is spooky as hell and One Missed Call is one of the best of the recent wave of Japanese horror flicks. And I agree that Shutter is excellent with a really great pay-off at the end. Oh, plus The Eye, while I'm on a big oriental love-fest.

EDIT: The Devil's Backbone and Fragile are both excellent, too.

Last edited by Dr Derek Doctors; 31-01-2007 at 23:05.
Guest 3532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:13   #54
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Nightmare on elm street is scary when you are 12....but then so is Predator....errr context is everything.

Mullholland Drive, near the beginning, where the spaz jumps out, is the most recent shock moment for me....biggest is Carrie I'd say...you know where.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:35   #55
Guest 3532
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975
Ooh, don't! Horrible - took ages to get over that. Watched the BFI DVD of it fairly recently and, even now as an adult, it's bloody scary, although that might be more that I remember how scared I was when it was on originally.
Haha, totally agree. Started watching it with the lights off, after 30 mins had to turn them on because I was getting seriously scared. I am a big wuss.
Guest 3532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:45   #56
kfung
Trusted User

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - original version
kfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:49   #57
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Derek Doctors
Haha, totally agree. Started watching it with the lights off, after 30 mins had to turn them on because I was getting seriously scared. I am a big wuss.
I'm ashamed to say, that's why I haven't picked up the BFI disk for a re-match yet. Getting too old for this.
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:56   #58
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

The trouble is finding any originality in films of any genre these days, for me I find some films (Exorcist, Ring) to be unsettling but not particularly scary and others to be dull (Wolf Creek was a hour of boredom and about 20 mins of fleeting schlock nonsense).

Asian Horror films still have a lot of life in them, but there are too many daft ideas floating around about pointlessly haunted items (The Wig!! FFS).

For me Switchblade Romance was the last really decent horror...and even that wasn't without it's flaws.
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:58   #59
cliff homewood
Trusted User

The one that I found scary as a man this year was Hard Candy, try giving that a watch and feel yourself squirm. No jumps though, just an uncomfortable viewing experience, its shot so real.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 00:25   #60
BeelzebubUK
The devil made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
Also I'm probably one of the few people who loved the original Blair Witch Project & even on a third viewing, with the lights out & the sound turned up, it still gives me chills.
Count me amongst those few. From what I can tell its the way its watched that makes or breaks that film.

I heard all the hype but never watched any scenes from it and waited until it came out on DVD. I used to live in a maisonette on the top 2 floors and my bedroom on the top floor was incredibly quiet....couldn't hear a thing outside.

So darkened the room and sat close to the screen with the sound up and watched without any interruptions. I was crapping myself at the end.....to this day it is still the only film where my heart was beating like I'd just ran a 4 minute mile

I can totally sympathise with people who didn't like it and I bet the majority either saw it in a cinema or with other people or the room was lighted and they could hear noises from outside the house which would all have dispelled the sense of actually being there which is what I experienced when I saw it.

Absolutely loved it and for several days afterwards it would have taken a monumental effort to get me to go into any woods I've had it on DVD for 2 or 3 years now but still not sure I could watch it again like that....which in my opinion is the only way to watch it.
BeelzebubUK is offline   Reply With Quote