Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 26-07-2007, 18:28   #41
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

First of the SE extras passed at the BBFC: 28m 15s No GREAT BOLSHY YARBLOCKOS: MAKING A CLOCKWORK ORANGE .
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 18:43   #42
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

Why can't have Kubrick boxset with all the films in it? I just want a Kubrick boxset with the SEs and single disc editions. FRUSTRATED.
Old 26-07-2007, 20:07   #43
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
Can I add a plea: when these SEs arrive, let's not blather on and on about aspect ratios.
Don't worry, I'm past caring now and I'll only annoy people
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 20:25   #44
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post
Don't worry, I'm past caring now and I'll only annoy people
Where is DeadKenny and what have you done with him?
Old 26-07-2007, 20:46   #45
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

It's a shame that the mooted boxset looks to be a little half-hearted, and it's a crime that there's no HD version of Barry Lyndon in the works. But I'll still be all over this set come October, and I'm salivating at the prospect of experiencing these movies in HD.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 17:16   #46
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Bits has aspect ratios, and hints all is not lost on the Barry Lyndon front...

We've learned that Warner Home Video will finally release those long-awaited Stanley Kubrick special editions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD on 10/23! These will include 2001: A Space Odyssey (2.20 - 16x9), A Clockwork Orange (1.66 - 16x9), Eyes Wide Shut (1.78 - 16x9 - we believe this is the uncensored version), Full Metal Jacket (1.78 - 16x9 - already available in high-def) and The Shining (1.78 - 16x9)! Each of these will be a 2-disc set (SRP $26.99 each) except for Full Metal Jacket, which is a single-disc deluxe edition. You'll also be able to buy the DVDs in a new Warner Home Video Director's Series: Stanley Kubrick Collection box set (SRP $79.92) that includes the previously released Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures DVD. The high-def versions will all sell for SRP $28.99 each. 2-disc DVD and high-def versions of Lolita and Barry Lyndon are still TBD. We expect the official press release to be made available in the next couple of days.
Old 01-08-2007, 18:06   #47
jroadley
Trusted User

Will be weird for me to watch Shining in 16x9
Old 02-08-2007, 16:26   #48
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Won't be weird for me - it's the way I and everyone else who saw it on its initial release viewed it, and it's the only way I want to see it, because that's how Mr. Kubrick and his camera person framed the film for theaters. Since there was basically no home video when the film came out, only TV, Mr. Kubrick protected the film for TV showings, but it wasn't shown that way in the cinemas and given the storyboards and the masking lines on the set monitor, it's the way it should be.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 18:56   #49
alanmg1200
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
Won't be weird for me - it's the way I and everyone else who saw it on its initial release viewed it, and it's the only way I want to see it, because that's how Mr. Kubrick and his camera person framed the film for theaters. Since there was basically no home video when the film came out, only TV, Mr. Kubrick protected the film for TV showings, but it wasn't shown that way in the cinemas and given the storyboards and the masking lines on the set monitor, it's the way it should be.
Will be weird for me as was too young to see this at the Cinema when released. Looking forward to it.
alanmg1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:08   #50
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Oh for God's sake you sad sad people talking about aspect ratios all the time. Get a life.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 18:16   #51
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

You sound like William Shatner.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55   #52
Alan George
Trusted User

Quote:
Oh for God's sake you sad sad people talking about aspect ratios all the time. Get a life.
"get a life" What sad, sad person would use a tired old cliche like that.
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08   #53
anephric
Kidney Thief

Seeing as how all the extras have been detailed, I'm profoundly, profoundly depressed that the missing minutes from 2001 apparently have been lost to the ages. Similarly, the deleted scenes from A Clockwork Orange. I know Vitali said that he destroyed a lot of SK's trims and such, but... but...
Old 04-08-2007, 13:07   #54
jroadley
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
Some of us are too young to EVER of seen it 16x9 - all I have is TV screenings from the late 80's and the two copies of the DVD I own
Old 04-08-2007, 13:27   #55
anephric
Kidney Thief

Well, I've seen it theatrically and I ain't that old.
Old 04-08-2007, 14:05   #56
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
"get a life" What sad, sad person would use a tired old cliche like that.
By using that term I was simply being polite and perhaps I also thought I'd use the linguistic vernacular ["Get a life"] of those for whom the aspect ratios of Kubrick films is of huge importance. I will not be rude or insult any contributors to these fora - but I will offer this. It seems to me that we now have two separate threads devoted to Stanley's aspect ratios - this thread and another, called something like It's What We Would Have Wanted. Is this is the way we discuss or honor a director with one of the most eclectic, controversial and challenging careers in world cinema? Considering the range of issues that Kubrick's films address, to only discuss the bloody aspect ratio seems to me quite pathetic and insulting, a debate that seems to be perperuated by those who know the credits of everything and the value of nothing.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 21:21   #57
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
By using that term I was simply being polite and perhaps I also thought I'd use the linguistic vernacular ["Get a life"] of those for whom the aspect ratios of Kubrick films is of huge importance. I will not be rude or insult any contributors to these fora - but I will offer this. It seems to me that we now have two separate threads devoted to Stanley's aspect ratios - this thread and another, called something like It's What We Would Have Wanted. Is this is the way we discuss or honor a director with one of the most eclectic, controversial and challenging careers in world cinema? Considering the range of issues that Kubrick's films address, to only discuss the bloody aspect ratio seems to me quite pathetic and insulting, a debate that seems to be perperuated by those who know the credits of everything and the value of nothing.
And yet, this is one of the most pedantic and insulting posts imaginable. This is a DVD forum, in case you haven't "bloody" noticed. Hence, people SHOULD be discussing the DVD presentation. If you want to have discourse on the films, fine, but at a DVD forum I don't need to see you or anyone else expounding their opinions - I can get that on the old usenet Kubrick board or any film board where such discussion is for those who want it. I come to a DVD forum to read about and discuss DVDs. Oh, and I hope that this post isn't too "bloody" rude.

Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 22:03   #58
Guest 36757
Banned

Yes we could talk about the meaning of 2001 - but people have been doing that for over 30 years. If there is a new DVD presentation in the offing it makes sense that the technical aspects are of interest to people.
Guest 36757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 22:26   #59
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thirnis View Post
Yes we could talk about the meaning of 2001 - but people have been doing that for over 30 years. If there is a new DVD presentation in the offing it makes sense that the technical aspects are of interest to people.
To some people. Some of us who just want info about the film or best release get well ****** having to wade through a massive thread full of anal discourse about AR's, colour timing (waterever that is!) etc etc.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 17:33   #60
jroadley
Trusted User

Some info on the HD extras