Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 13-10-2006, 23:22   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Stanley Kubrick SE Thread; R1 Director Series Box & SEs for Oct. '07

We know that SEs of some of Kubricks films held by Warners are on the cards, so a thread dedicated to these releases and what treasures might - or might not - be included is apposite.

Warners more than hinted that Special Editions of at least two Kubrick films are on their way in the last of their HTF Chats. But it looks like R2 may be getting them first.

It is odd we haven't heard anything official, but up for pre-order at a couple of etailers and alledgedly coming November 6 in R2: 2001 - A Space Odyssey (Special Edition) and A Clockwork Orange (Special Edition).

Of course, they may still not come on that date, but they are coming...

Last edited by John Hodson; 25-07-2007 at 20:16.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 23:31   #2
corkbouy
Doesn't Like Mondays

May I be the first to register my drooling anticipation on this thread?
corkbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 23:45   #3
Spectre07
Trusted User

With less than a month before release it's hard to believe Warners wouldn't have made an announcement by now. Their probably a rehash of the existing releases, there have been at least two so called 'Special Editions' of 2001 that I'm aware of, the specialness being the oversized packaging and accompanying cards and film cells. Not what the film fan would call special though.

...but wouldn't it be great.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 00:35   #4
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I can only speak to region one, but there is no release date for the Kubrick titles. They were originally slated for end of year, but, you know, someone over there doesn't really care about them and it got pushed.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 08:12   #5
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

An SE of "2001...."? Great! I wonder what extras the second disc will have? Kubrick is supposed to have edited out some 11 minutes for the final cut and it would be nice if these are included, at least in the Special Features section.

Also, I understand that the movie was shot in both 35mm & 70mm formats and one of the several DVD versions thus far available - the Warner one - is supposed to be 70mm. I have not seen that one, but will 70mm be actually better than 35mm and if so in what way?
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 08:16   #6
Guest 12934
Trusted User

No word on HD-DVD releases?
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 08:38   #7
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Only a rumour, but from The Digital Bits:
Quote:
TBA (based on statements at 2006 release slate event in January 2006) - Mutiny on the Bounty, Forbidden Planet, The Maltese Falcon, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut (unrated)
Old 14-10-2006, 08:50   #8
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

I’m wondering how many more times (and in how many further editions) these same movies are going to be re-released. I could see the attraction of HD versions, of course. But the only thing that would get me to part with money again for titles I’ve owned (on various formats) for years, would be the sudden emergence of Kubrick commentaries. And this ain't gonna happen, because Kubrick didn't go in for such a thing...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 10:30   #9
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore
An SE of "2001...."? Great! I wonder what extras the second disc will have? Kubrick is supposed to have edited out some 11 minutes for the final cut and it would be nice if these are included, at least in the Special Features section.

Also, I understand that the movie was shot in both 35mm & 70mm formats and one of the several DVD versions thus far available - the Warner one - is supposed to be 70mm. I have not seen that one, but will 70mm be actually better than 35mm and if so in what way?
There was no filmed 35mm version. The film was shot in Super Panavision 70 and was roadshown in 70mm. Content of the 35mm general release prints was the same as the 70mm version.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 17:11   #10
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
There was no filmed 35mm version. The film was shot in Super Panavision 70 and was roadshown in 70mm. Content of the 35mm general release prints was the same as the 70mm version.
Exactly. I can say there will be a commentary track. I can also say that one of the most interesting of the planned extras will not be included, thanks to the usual crap.
Old 14-10-2006, 23:52   #11
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. There's already a pretty good documentary on Clockwork Orange out there which was made by Channel 4, and there are bits and pieces lying around for 2001 (the supplement on the Criterion laserdisc is pretty interesting). Add to that some retrospective interviews & commentaries, plus the all-important anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer for Clockwork Orange, and I'm there.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 14:23   #12
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
I can also say that one of the most interesting of the planned extras will not be included, thanks to the usual crap.
Can you not say or at least give a hint at what this would have been?
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 15:48   #13
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Think the extra that did not make it on The Getaway.
Old 15-10-2006, 16:25   #14
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
With less than a month before release it's hard to believe Warners wouldn't have made an announcement by now. Their probably a rehash of the existing releases, there have been at least two so called 'Special Editions' of 2001 that I'm aware of, the specialness being the oversized packaging and accompanying cards and film cells. Not what the film fan would call special though.
The film cell sets weren't official special editions, they're just repackaging done by Creative Design Arts on many cult films. Just collectors items really but the DVDs themselves are unaltered.

All we've had so far on DVD officially is the original unremastered and the remastered editions.

Given how special a Kubrick release is in itself I'd prefer few re-issues. I think they should skip DVD for the next release and just go with HD. Makes it all the more worth getting HD then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore
Unfortunately Stanley had it all destroyed.

From an interview with his assistant Vitali...

Quote:
(http://www.dvdtalk.com/leonvitaliinterview.html)
"I'll tell you right now, okay, on Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Barry Lyndon, some little parts of 2001, we had thousands of cans of negative outtakes and print, which we had stored in an area at his house where we worked out of, which he personally supervised the loading of it to a truck and then I went down to a big industrial waste lot and burned it. That's what he wanted."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff
I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. There's already a pretty good documentary on Clockwork Orange out there which was made by Channel 4
Not the "look at me I love extreme movies and banned films" Kermode documentary I hope?

Sorry, I just can't stand the guy . I hate over-hyping the status of films in particular with the word "banned" especially Clockwork Orange which is a fantastic piece of work but trying to sensationalise it as if it's in the video nasty category just really bugs me

Quote:
and there are bits and pieces lying around for 2001 (the supplement on the Criterion laserdisc is pretty interesting). Add to that some retrospective interviews & commentaries, plus the all-important anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer for Clockwork Orange, and I'm there.
That really would be great if it's 1.66:1 anamorphic and not just cropped to fit 16:9 displays.

I'm not really bothered about extras on Kubrick films. They really are films that stand on their own and I don't want the illusion destroyed, nor would I think Stanley would have either. That's likely why he wanted all extra material destroyed as what he released was the film and nothing more as far as he was concerned. Prevents anyone else coming along later and messing with his vision.

I certainly wouldn't want Clarke spouting his explanations on 2001 (it's bad enough that 2010 exists even though it's visually a nice film). At the time Stanley was very insistent that there isn't a single explanation, it's just left to the viewer to interpret how they liked, and I love that. Much better than the spoon-fed explanation films you get today.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 16:48   #15
Guest 45586
Trusted User

I thought the Channel 4 documentary was with Tony Parsons and that was pretty damn horrorshow to my plot. He dressed up in the height of droogie fashion and fessed up to being an Alex wannabe in his teenage years. Parsons caught the zeitgeist with both hands and ran with it, finally haranging the hermit of Harpenden about the banning of his own artwork. Kermode wasn't on view on that occasion, thank God.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 16:57   #16
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

Damn, I wish I'd viddy'd that.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 17:08   #17
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
Think the extra that did not make it on The Getaway.
That's not too distressing, imo, although I did moan on about it in another 2001 thread. For the obsessive, at least North's soundtrack is out there on CD and a version of sorts could be wrangled.

I'd give my left nut to see the footage cut out of the preview prints.
Old 16-10-2006, 22:35   #18
Guest 41913
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster
I thought the Channel 4 documentary was with Tony Parsons and that was pretty damn horrorshow to my plot. He dressed up in the height of droogie fashion and fessed up to being an Alex wannabe in his teenage years. Parsons caught the zeitgeist with both hands and ran with it, finally haranging the hermit of Harpenden about the banning of his own artwork. Kermode wasn't on view on that occasion, thank God.
There are two different documentaries; the Parsons one dates from the mid-nineties, the Kermode one was shown when the movie was re-released following Kubrick's death. Both are worthy of inclusion IMO; whatever you might feel about the man himself, the Kermode one does feature interesting contributions from Malcolm McDowell, Alexander Walker and Sam Mendes amongst others.
Guest 41913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 15:46   #19
Guest 45586
Trusted User

The Parsons doco was called Forbidden Fruit and I recall that C4 cancelled its original telecast date because of threats from Kubrick over their right to show clips (Kubrick had only recently taken a cinema to court over an illicit screening). Then C4 decided not to wimp out and showed the thing a fortnight later, clips 'n' all. Of course, as good as this doco was, it's unlikely to feature on a DVD because it is so parochial - as A Clockwork Orange was only banned in the UK why would Warners bother with the Parsons film on an international DVD release?
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 16:05   #20
anephric
Kidney Thief

Didn't that doc have to use clips culled from the NTSC laserdisc as it was the best quality material they could find outside of WB-sanctioned clips?
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote