Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 13:14   #521
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
Burnham has a negative effect on the show. I'm sure she's a good actor, but the character is just poison to a show like Star Trek. And she's supposed to be one of the good guys?!! If she was a baddie then she'd still be laughable but fine because it'd be a different role. Even Georgiou is a way better character than her and she is more grey than Burnham. It's supposed to be a world where people are enlightened, especially in Star Fleet, yet she goes around doing whatever the hell she likes and screw whoever gets in her way. The way she goes around justifying every disobeyed order when it suits her but holds other people to better ethical standards reminds me of Janeway who I also had problems with on occasions.

Then of course you've got her hamming up every tiny bit of emotion up to 11 and twisting her face into a contorted crying mess in every one of those scenes. Obviously the creator is telling her to do this for some reason. I really enjoyed their other shows (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Diasies) so I'm not sure why they've gone down this route.

The rest of the crew has a really good dynamic, with all of their own individual issues. They could easily fill the "problem character" with Georgiou instead but the show seemingly revolves around Burnham.

There's my problem. I enjoy the show and the characters apart from one. I put up with it because I think there's a good show in there.

Last edited by The Bear; 06-12-2020 at 13:16.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 13:17   #522
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,010 Times in 608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Burnham has a negative effect on the show. I'm sure she's a good actor, but the character is just poison to a show like Star Trek. And she's supposed to be one of the good guys?!! If she was a baddie then she'd still be laughable but fine because it'd be a different role. Even Georgiou is a way better character than her and she is more grey than Burnham. It's supposed to be a world where people are enlightened, especially in Star Fleet, yet she goes around doing whatever the hell she likes and screw whoever gets in her way. The way she goes around justifying every disobeyed order when it suits her but holds other people to better ethical standards reminds me of Janeway who I also had problems with on occasions.

Then of course you've got her hamming up every tiny bit of emotion up to 11 and twisting her face into a contorted crying mess in every one of those scenes. Obviously the creator/director is telling her to do this for some reason. I really enjoyed Weeds from the same person so I'm not sure why they've gone down this route.

The rest of the crew has a really good dynamic, with all of their own individual issues. They could easily fill the "problem character" with Georgiou instead but the show seemingly revolves around Burnham.

There's my problem. I enjoy the show and the characters apart from one. I put up with it because I think there's a good show in there.
Agree with everything you said. 100%. Spot on
And like you I shall continue to watch it as deep down I still fundamentally like/want to like the show despite this character.

Last edited by Tempest; 06-12-2020 at 13:18.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 13:18   #523
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Anyone seen the extended clip for next week? Beware this contains mills spoilers but something very interesting is said in it that I totally missed but had a friend point it out.

https://youtu.be/tzADV_Fz34E
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 13:46   #524
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,118 Times in 490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Then of course you've got her hamming up every tiny bit of emotion up to 11 and twisting her face into a contorted crying mess in every one of those scenes. Obviously the creator is telling her to do this for some reason. I really enjoyed their other shows (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Diasies) so I'm not sure why they've gone down this route.
Bryan fuller left ages ago, i think he left before the pilot was filmed? The whole mess is down to the hack that is alex kurtzman

Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls - 2 great shows
Old 06-12-2020, 20:08   #525
Shingster
Trusted User

Yup, beyond stealing from him creatively without giving him the credit *cough*Picard*cough*, there’s no direct involvement of Fuller in new Trek other than some story elements of season one of Discovery.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 23:50   #526
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
most women (inc me) find it a pretty offensive phrase.
As it wouldn't be used about a man. Women must be meek and mild. If you act like a man, then you are a B****.

All those words could apply to Kirk (in the recent movies)
You're right. Kirk wouldn't be called a bitch. He'd be called a b4st4rd.

And nobody would bat an eyelid about it.

People need to grow up and stop crying about nothing.

Oh, and Tilly is overweight. It's not "normal" and it's certainly not healthy.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:54   #527
The Bear

I agree she's overweight. But that's her lookout and it doesn't bother me as overweight people are all over the world. I'm sure she doesn't need other people telling her she is, or criticising her about it either.
Old 07-12-2020, 20:42   #528
Tempest
Trusted User

I do wonder how it's possible to get overweight on a Starship eating, by then incredibly advanced foods?
I'm sure we can imagine in the not too distant future for even us, that food-stuffs will be developed that have amazing taste and texture, and yet at the same time are not overloaded with salt/sugar and calories.

Given this is set 235 years in the future with all ships crew eating "replicated" food, and presumably wearing all sort of body health tracking devices, and ships medial crew being available to be sure all staff, esp senior staff are fit and healthy.
It does pose quite a puzzle how one could get obese in such an environment.

And indeed, I am suggesting an Actor should be contractually expected to be able to carry a role in a manner both visually/physically that would accurately match the show they are in.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:32   #529
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

People come in different shapes....
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:46   #530
oldskool
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
People come in different shapes....
Actually, that's absolutely true in star trek Canon, this has been covered in I think it was the star trek ncc1701-d technical manual where it talked about the replicators.

Yes the replicators can make chocolate pudding with the nutritional values of spinach, so body shape in the star trek universe all comes down to personal preference of their own body shape with some people preferring simply preferring to be bigger, many admirals gained weight as they thought it gave them an air of authority (at least in tng time), remember, Discovery was built in original series time, I don't remember the original enterprise having replicators and the first enterprise had an on board chef.

I'm sure replicators have been put in since the refit, but that's like 2 episodes ago

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by oldskool; 08-12-2020 at 16:55.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 20:11   #531
Tempest
Trusted User

Hmmmm, well this weeks episode felt a bit of a non episode really.
About 5 mins max of anything really storywise happening.
And an alien world with trees that happened to look and grow exactly like those in a forest on earth do.
What are the chances huh
Felt a bit of a padding one. Hopefully back to some more story next week.
Old 09-12-2020, 20:33   #532
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I do wonder why a few people on here actually watch this show when they clearly don't enjoy it but are expecting it to change to satisfy them. It's just totally moronic and it seems nearly two and half seasons haven't taught them anything.

As for the mysogonistic and fat shaming comments ( which then go through some sort of faux justification claiming overweight people won't exist in the future ). Did you people not watch any of the TOS movies ?? Clearly not if you are commenting on Tilly's weight issues with any sincerity
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 21:55   #533
Tempest
Trusted User

I don't have any problem with people being positive or negative about TV shows or Movies.
Likewise, positive or negative viewpoints on characters.
It's a free country and we are allowed to have opinions, and as far as I'm aware, anyone on these forums is allowed to post there point of view.
Which others are free to agree or disagree with.
I'm not going to get all self-important and start telling people off for their viewpoint.

If you don't like Fat or Skinny Federation staff, or you have other thoughts about sets/storylines, good or bad then happy to see any opinions.
Old 09-12-2020, 22:19   #534
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

This isn’t about a character, this is about an actress. Who is not really any different from when she was cast.

Do we know where Reno is? Is that the name if the older female they picked up last season? She is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 22:25   #535
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
This isn’t about a character, this is about an actress. Who is not really any different from when she was cast.

Do we know where Reno is? Is that the name if the older female they picked up last season? She is good.

Yes, she's been kicking around in the science room with the Spore Drive guy over a few recent episodes.
And yes, I like her character also.
Very down to earth and get things done.

She's not emotional at all, and this show had strongly moved into the emotional side of things sadly, so perhaps her manner is not fitting in with what they are sadly after right now?
Old 09-12-2020, 22:25   #536
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:

Jett Reno (Tig Notaro) has only actually been in 7 episodes, not nearly enough obviously but her character is basically herself as that’s exactly what she’s like in her stand-up shows.
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 22:19   #537
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

An excellent callback to The Original Series in the latest episode
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:35   #538
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
An excellent callback to The Original Series in the latest episode
Yep, liked that. Shame the rest of those two episodes was so tedious.

Look at us, we're all so Eeeeevvvviiillllll & we can't stop grinning like a bunch of smug *****.

I'm not sure what's worse, CryFace Burnham or two full episodes of Crazy Eyes Burnham...

On a completely different issue, can anyone explain what the benefit of having separated nacelles on ships in the future is?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:15   #539
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,118 Times in 490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post

I'm not sure what's worse, CryFace Burnham or two full episodes of Crazy Eyes Burnham...
What about burnham crying with crazy eyes?

Quote:
On a completely different issue, can anyone explain what the benefit of having separated nacelles on ships in the future is?
no doubt they writers think it "looks cool" thats the only reason
Old 21-12-2020, 16:16   #540
The Bear

Yep the two Mirror Universe episodes were dreadful. As are pretty much all of them on every Trek.