Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 13:43   #501
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

If one dislikes the show so much why continue watching it, surely there are better things to waste time on? I can't imagine watching something just so I can moan about it on line?

The show has revolved around Burnham since the first episode and yet coming to the final stretch of season 3 and people are still moaning about it. I really don't feel like posting in this thread anymore having to come in and read some pretty disgusting stuff, if you don't like the show that's fine at least articulate why you don't like it. Most of the comments kind of seem hatefilled that probably reflect people's real life opinions on Diversity in our society.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:32   #502
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,118 Times in 490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
If one dislikes the show so much why continue watching it, surely there are better things to waste time on? I can't imagine watching something just so I can moan about it on line?

The show has revolved around Burnham since the first episode and yet coming to the final stretch of season 3 and people are still moaning about it. I really don't feel like posting in this thread anymore having to come in and read some pretty disgusting stuff, if you don't like the show that's fine at least articulate why you don't like it. Most of the comments kind of seem hatefilled that probably reflect people's real life opinions on Diversity in our society.
Its ONLY tempest that is posting misogynistic comments but for everyone else is nothing to do the actress who play's Burnham skin colour or she is a woman. You screaming racism and sexism to shout down any comments about the show. it makes you sound dishonest and does you no favours tbfh.

there was stuff I liked about Season 2 of STD but not going to watch s3 as been checking in to see how the show is going, its a shame as no ST for me. Must people can (and have) articulate why they don't like it apart from you know who
Old 05-12-2020, 15:47   #503
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
You screaming racism and sexism to shout down any comments about the show. it makes you sound dishonest and does you no favours tbfh.
I am sorry if that is what you took away from my post, that is not really what I was getting at. Not sure I am being dishonest just fed up about reading about cry-baby Burnham, this is not Star Trek, Tilly is fat (I mean the women had a bay for goodness sake) there are no straight white men the list just goes on and on. Would be more interesting to read about the episodes instead of people concentrating on short scene about a pronouns or whatnot.
Old 05-12-2020, 16:23   #504
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

you could argue is this a star trek show? Now I watch it, as I sort of like sci fi but I am much more into it as Strong female leads (burnham AND georgio at the beginning). All the cool side characters (like Stammet and Tilly) and I am fond of that alien who keeps transporting into various areas by accident.

So its a different sort of star trek than before (which i sort of would watch but not a massive fan). I mean its not about the Captain is it? (though i like him too, and him trying out various phrases was funny)

the actual episode content, I sort of ignore the OMG ITS THE ROMULANS AND THEY ARE NOW GOOD (or BAD) as I don't follow the greater story.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 16:28   #505
cjanderson

oh and i am pretty sure the Tilly actress has not had a baby, unless your googling can find one.

She is just not stick slim. She is normal. anyone commenting here about her weight would get a comment from me. I'm more surprised she is 35, i assumed she was much younger, maybe Tilly comes across as young at times?
Old 05-12-2020, 16:44   #506
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

We're 4 episodes into S3 and really enjoying it. It's much better than the previous seasons IMHO. And yes, Tilly has put on weight. I don't have a problem with there being gay characters in the show, primarily because that's not their point. They're characters in their own right that happen to be gay. Arguably, with the way we're going at the moment, everyone will be gay by the time this is set, so no idea how we'll procreate. Must be holodecks and IVF .
Old 05-12-2020, 19:11   #507
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
oh and i am pretty sure the Tilly actress has not had a baby, unless your googling can find one.

She is just not stick slim. She is normal. anyone commenting here about her weight would get a comment from me. I'm more surprised she is 35, i assumed she was much younger, maybe Tilly comes across as young at times?
You might be right, I read on two different forums, one being Overclockers and the other being the BBS Trek boards that she was pregnant during the filming of S3, but there don't seem to be any google links, so this could be wrong. I was about to say she doesn't seem to have been given anything particularly physical to do this season but then it seems neither have any of the other cast members.
Old 05-12-2020, 19:18   #508
zantarous

Quote:
you could argue is this a star trek show? Now I watch it, as I sort of like sci fi but I am much more into it as Strong female leads (burnham AND georgio at the beginning). All the cool side characters (like Stammet and Tilly) and I am fond of that alien who keeps transporting into various areas by accident.

So its a different sort of star trek than before (which i sort of would watch but not a massive fan). I mean its not about the Captain is it? (though i like him too, and him trying out various phrases was funny)

the actual episode content, I sort of ignore the OMG ITS THE ROMULANS AND THEY ARE NOW GOOD (or BAD) as I don't follow the greater story.
It is very subject as to what Trek is, only the original 60s show really revolved around the Captain, the 90s Trek was very much a ensemble show where all the main characters got at least one episode a season that focused on them.

What most people mean is that those previous incarnations of Trek embraced a positive outlook of the future where man had outgrown many of the things you associate as flaws today and in the future it is all about the betterment of man and we no longer fight amongst ourselves, no more racism, no more poverty etc. That this was Gene's vision and that the new shows don't embrace this.

Having been a teenage in the early 90s I saw all these same things being said about TNG, DS9 etc, in the letter sections of Starlog, Starburst or SFX (ah WH Smith the internet of the 90s).
Old 05-12-2020, 19:24   #509
cjanderson

Off topic really but lots of women bloat just due to pcos or hormonal issues or maybe ivf treatments etc.
And Until someone announces they are pregnant its not reported by papers (for obvious privacy reasons or the fact there could be complications)

Anyway. I don’t like the lovely dovey stuff. Though the new chap is sexy. So keep him around. And his cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2020, 10:52   #510
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

soquena martin green had a baby btw

The original 60's show did focus on kirk on some what but also become spock and mccoy and even the other cast members their own stories. In STD s2 they had introduce the bridge officers again as people didn't know their names

ds9 didn't really embrace Gene's vision of ST and that is widely liked. New shows will always get small amount of people that don't like the show but the difference here is not small amount of people overall. Btw I'm not a massive ST fan at all and liked 2009 film for what it was (big dumb action) but STD and picard would fail as shows if they didn't have the branding to back it up

Hoping the new series of Pike, Number one and Spock is more of a return "exploring new worlds" or something watchable
Old 06-12-2020, 11:35   #511
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I’ve only just learned that Tilly is married to the Andorian Rin in real life, so now we know why she was so cold to him when he barged in.
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:46   #512
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,010 Times in 608 Posts
To clarify:
Firstly I take offence at "fivebyfive'" misogynistic remark as I've never said anything about disliking the character due to the sexual orientation of person.
If Bunrham was a man doing exactly the same things and the whole series revolving around him and his personal issues I'd feel just the same.

Anyway, moving one and ignoring that.......

"zantarous" made an excellent point with regards to, if you don't like it, then don't watch it.
Indeed, I can't argue against that

I can only offer the following:

As a child, Star Trek was on, with Captain Kirk, at a very (I'm guessing here) critical point in my development in my youth.
I'd happy accept that the character Spock, with his logical way at looking at things, and control of outward emotions affected me, and really resonated in my mind.
Not only that, but as with many children the excitement of travelling in space and exploring, wondering what new alien planet or space being/phenomena would be encountered in the next episode was just the best.
And remember how unique this show was in the day, not like there were a dozen other space shows out there.

Star Trek, the clean and tidy aspect to the ship, logical use of science to solve problems, everyone pretty much looking and acting very professional and all that way of being.
I'm not in anyway a "trekkie" fan, don't have any Trek products, never have.
It was just the theme/style and way of being.

I do find it hard not to watch a Star Trek. The only thing I gave up on was Deep Space 9
as that just was going down the lines of East Enders in Space for me.
The whole Flying around space and discovering things was a major part of it.

With regards to past shows focusing on Kirk, Indeed, but it did not feel like Scottie, Spock, Bones etc may as well not have been there, like with Burnham.
Right now, it feels like everyone else is just fodder/chaff and they don't really care as it's just padding to support 'Burnham Trek'.

The current "The Burn" theme, ok, that's fine, I can go with that, and we can fly around each week meeting new aliens (who all look human and speak perfect english)
But I suppose I'm hoping that this character could take a back seat and let others lead episides.
When she was demoted for about 2 seconds, before basically being in charge moments later in the next episode, I actually hoped, she might of left with her boyfriend, and have been like a side story which would pop back once in a while, or some below deck story, with others taking the lead.

Hence why I was a bit expressive with my disappointment after this weeks episode as my hopes were dammed as were back to her again.

Just want my Science/Discovery Star Trek back again, that's all
I suppose I keep watching in hope
Tempest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:07   #513
cjanderson

the misogyny was called her a B*****.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:23   #514
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
the misogyny was called her a B*****.
Indeed, OK. I did follow up with saying I may have been a little harsh in the heat of the moment having just watched the latest episode with disapointment we'd gone back down that Burnham Trek route yet again.

However, whilst accepting it was perhaps a little bit of a heated phrase.

The meaning being:
slang word for a person — usually a woman — who is belligerent, unreasonable, malicious, controlling, aggressive, or dominant

I don't believe it's too inaccurate a phrase for her character.
All the individual meanings of the term ring true for her character other than the malicious part

So, sure, perhaps harsh, but IMHO pretty accurate
Old 06-12-2020, 12:42   #515
cjanderson

most women (inc me) find it a pretty offensive phrase.
As it wouldn't be used about a man. Women must be meek and mild. If you act like a man, then you are a B****.

All those words could apply to Kirk (in the recent movies)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:50   #516
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Oh come on - trying to defend the language used is like someone defending calling her the N word because “it’s an accurate description of her”
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:53   #517
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
As it wouldn't be used about a man. Women must be meek and mild. If you act like a man, then you are a B****.

movie Kirk does **** up and "hot head" but does get proven wrong but this really does not happen with Burnham, she is always right. The film and this sufffer from bad writing

Also its not expecting "Women must be meek and mild" at all (best ignore what tempest puts) Look at other characters like Starbuck from recent BSG and Kira nerys from DS9, to name just 2
Old 06-12-2020, 12:58   #518
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Oh come on - trying to defend the language used is like someone defending calling her the N word because “it’s an accurate description of her”
I will disagree with this as the N word is deemed totally different by today's society than the word Bitch.
You know this, they are not in any was similar.
Old 06-12-2020, 13:01   #519
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:

Indeed, Kirk has acted in the same way in various episodes totally agree with you on that.

Regards the Finding the phrase offensive, sorry you feel that way, and of course, the last thing I wish to ever do would be to offend someone by use of any particular word.

However, many many people on these forums have used this word in the past in various topics. So perhaps picking on this single additional instance is a tad harsh

Last edited by Tempest; 06-12-2020 at 13:11.
Old 06-12-2020, 13:04   #520
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
movie Kirk does **** up and "hot head" but does get proven wrong but this really does not happen with Burnham, she is always right. The film and this sufffer from bad writing

Also its not expecting "Women must be meek and mild" at all (best ignore what tempest puts) Look at other characters like Starbuck from recent BSG and Kira nerys from DS9, to name just 2
You make an excellent point and is I'm sure part of many people's irritation in the way her character is being written into the story.
She totally ignores all orders, does exactly what she wants, put others at risk of losing their live due to her actions.
Everyone get really lucky, no-one we care about dies, and she comes back holding the prize every single time, and everyone forgives her as long as she promises not to do it again.