Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 25-02-2018, 09:12   #821
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Am on coach down to Wembley. These last few years have been the stuff of dreams ����
Old 25-02-2018, 10:45   #822
Flap

Enjoy! Wish I could be there..
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:55   #823
MaxNutter

Why is your nickname spelt incorrectly on the back of the player's tracksuits?
Old 25-02-2018, 18:24   #824
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
Am on coach down to Wembley. These last few years have been the stuff of dreams ����
Do you dream about buying titles? strange.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 06:34   #825
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,288 Times in 910 Posts
Yes we all know the only true way is to take out a massive loan
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 06:55   #826
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Some will choose to linger on the ludicrously vast petrol-powered resources expended on assembling this team, the unanswerable truth that City have bought success, as all clubs do to some extent. But football refuses to be pinned down quite so easily. From a purely sporting angle City’s soul, the warm heart of this team, has been the most compelling part of their success.
Old 26-02-2018, 08:06   #827
MICON
Trusted User

Grabbing at straws.
Old 26-02-2018, 10:02   #828
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Yes we all know the only true way is to take out a massive loan
wrong thread, but are you posting this to be antagonistic, or are do you not understand what happened?
Old 26-02-2018, 11:58   #829
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,288 Times in 910 Posts
I understand fine, just getting a little tired of arguments over whose version of FFP is better than the others.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:03   #830
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I understand fine, just getting a little tired of arguments over whose version of FFP is better than the others.
So you don't then, okay.
Old 01-03-2018, 22:01   #831
Rob
Indie Author

Well this has been a good week for us. Some of the football in the first half was sublime.
Pep may have splashed the cash, but he's not gone for the obvious superstars and in buying young and hungry players like Sane, Bernardo and Ederson, he is building a team that looks good now and will be for years to come. So much better than Jose's big time Charlie approach (and a bit cheaper too!)
Old 01-03-2018, 23:36   #832
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So much better than Jose's big time Charlie approach (and a bit cheaper too!)
Pep's spent around £100m more than José hasn't he? Even factoring in United's (probably) higher wages for those signings, it isn't cheaper.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43   #833
Rob
Indie Author

I was referring to the amount spent on Pogba and Lukaku, and also the general approach of the buying policy at City vs United. Pep is buying players to suit the system, rather than just big names. How many other clubs wanted to sign Sane, Ederson, Bernado etc? Hardly household names.

Look at the ages of most of the players being brought in. Yes, he's spent a lot to replace two sets of full-back - all well over 30, but in general, the ages of the players mean that we'll only have to make 2 or 3 signings every season now (maybe less, depending on who leaves) for the next 10 years.

So whilst I accept that he's spent a lot, the transfer policy is totally different to United, and in a good way. United are where City were 10 years ago - having to pay big wages and go for big names just to play catch-up.

Last edited by Rob; 02-03-2018 at 06:45.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:20   #834
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
I was referring to the amount spent on Pogba and Lukaku, and also the general approach of the buying policy at City vs United. Pep is buying players to suit the system, rather than just big names. How many other clubs wanted to sign Sane, Ederson, Bernado etc? Hardly household names.

Look at the ages of most of the players being brought in. Yes, he's spent a lot to replace two sets of full-back - all well over 30, but in general, the ages of the players mean that we'll only have to make 2 or 3 signings every season now (maybe less, depending on who leaves) for the next 10 years.

So whilst I accept that he's spent a lot, the transfer policy is totally different to United, and in a good way. United are where City were 10 years ago - having to pay big wages and go for big names just to play catch-up.
United will never play catch up to city. We earnt the right to buy who we want. city have yet to do that, & the only way they will ever get respect is to chuck the blood money & start from the mid table (or lower), & the fans to go to every match & build up the team & club. That won't happen until the FA get some balls. Until then dream on.....
Old 02-03-2018, 09:54   #835
MaxNutter

Quote:
Sane and Bernado are full internationals who were coveted by many other clubs across Europe. While they might not have been household names over here they've hardly been plucked from obscurity. I'm not sure the same can be said for Ederson.

Quote:
If you think that Pep won't sign many players I think you're wrong; he's more of a chequebook manager than Jose is!

Quote:
I don't think we're where you were 10 years ago, sure we're still recovering from a bit of a managerial merry-go-round, but we're not signing players like Robinho or Adebayor.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01   #836
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
I don't think we're where you were 10 years ago, sure we're still recovering from a bit of a managerial merry-go-round, but we're not signing players like Robinho or Adebayor.
Fair point.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:02   #837
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
United will never play catch up to city. We earnt the right to buy who we want. city have yet to do that, & the only way they will ever get respect is to chuck the blood money & start from the mid table (or lower), & the fans to go to every match & build up the team & club. That won't happen until the FA get some balls. Until then dream on.....
City haven't taken any money from Mansour in over 3 seasons. we are now a self funding business and fully able to spend as such.
Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20   #838
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
If you think that Pep won't sign many players I think you're wrong; he's more of a chequebook manager than Jose is!
Yes Pep is buying players, Lots of players.

Pep = 19 players ( including youth players ) at a net spend of £282m
Mourinho = 7 players at a net spend of £238m
Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:42   #839
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Change the record Micon, do you realise how much of a tosser you sound? That's exactly the arrogance and false belief of entitlement that makes so many football fans hate fans of top clubs.

What is it you have a problem with? City spending to win, or them having rich owners? You keep going on about them buying the title but that's exactly what top clubs have to do to win, you need to pay for top players to be able to challenge for the top honours (the Leicester season anolomy aside).

Do you not think United have spent a shedloads of money? Is that not trying to buy the title?

No one can disagree that they've spent a fortune and that money has got them there, but money doesn't guarantee winning and he has them playing some fantastic football. Get over it, football changes and no one team has the right to be eternally top over everyone else.
Old 05-03-2018, 16:32   #840
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Change the record Micon, do you realise how much of a tosser you sound? That's exactly the arrogance and false belief of entitlement that makes so many football fans hate fans of top clubs.

What is it you have a problem with? City spending to win, or them having rich owners? You keep going on about them buying the title but that's exactly what top clubs have to do to win, you need to pay for top players to be able to challenge for the top honours (the Leicester season anolomy aside).

Do you not think United have spent a shedloads of money? Is that not trying to buy the title?

No one can disagree that they've spent a fortune and that money has got them there, but money doesn't guarantee winning and he has them playing some fantastic football. Get over it, football changes and no one team has the right to be eternally top over everyone else.
Thats it just ignore the facts & make up your own story. We earnt it, we can spend it, the same for most clubs apart from chelsea & city. They are both in false positions & every team below them is two positions below were they should be. Exiting football, I don't think so. They bored my ass of last night, pass, pass, pass. If you want exitement then the Premiership title would be very exiting this season, with one of several clubs possibly winning it, but wait, 'your' plastic club has bought the title, so the exitement is gone.

As a Liverpool supporter you should be ashamed of yourself sticking up for a plastic club.

And by the way, Rob started this by comparing the two managers. Wake up.

Last edited by MICON; 05-03-2018 at 16:37.