Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 13-11-2014, 10:13   #81
zharrt
PSN: zharrt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
I can't claim that my faith in Arsene is undiminished because it isn't, but I'm still happy to give him (even more) time. It would be a shame if now that he has got us into the position of being able to afford the best players, it is all taken away from him. We owe him far more than he owes us. I completely understand people being so upset though - nothing ruins my week like the dismal performances & capitulations of recent weeks - & am fine with fans wanting Arsene to leave, as long as they are respectful about it. Nothing earns a Twitter unofllow quicker than someone using the WengerOut hash tag
Come January, we absolutely MUST sign reinforcements & in the first week too, not leaving it until the final day! In all the Wenger hate, the players seem to be getting off lightly, I'm struggling to think of a single player (new signings aside) who is playing at their best this season. Far from it, most are a long way short of their best imo.
£42m for Ozil, £32 for Sanchez and £23 for Welbeck he has had the money, and is still good at finding the attacking players with flair that he likes to play, but can he pick out a hard **** who will knock heads? Will he break tradition and spend more that he thinks a player is worth when the market deems it to be the case?

Also most down heartening is how players (or their people) are now saying they want to avoid Arsenal and go somewhere they can challenge for trophies. Do we really want to be pinning our hopes on an Ipswich player? Khedira seems to be a lost cause
zharrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 12:00   #82
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharrt View Post
£42m for Ozil, £32 for Sanchez and £23 for Welbeck he has had the money, and is still good at finding the attacking players with flair that he likes to play, but can he pick out a hard **** who will knock heads? Will he break tradition and spend more that he thinks a player is worth when the market deems it to be the case?

Also most down heartening is how players (or their people) are now saying they want to avoid Arsenal and go somewhere they can challenge for trophies. Do we really want to be pinning our hopes on an Ipswich player? Khedira seems to be a lost cause
I thought Welbeck was only £16m. I also read that had Wenger been in the country on deadline day he wouldn't have signed him permantly, only loaned with option to buy.

I agree that Wenger is sometimes too stuborn when not willing to pay slightly over the odds for players. Agreed he shouldn't pay over the odds for every player but sometimes to get that one player that we really need paying an extra £5m or an extra £20k a month could have got them and could have made a real difference.

It is a little frustrating that Wenger does seem to have a blind spot for that more defensive midfielder that he has needed for so long now instead buying yet another creative/attacking player. If we were winning 6-5 everyweek I could agree with it but when we sometimes struggle to create chances and can't always hold on to a lead perhaps stopping goals being scored against you should be equally as improtant as scoring them.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 12:54   #83
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharrt View Post
Sanchez signed for us just four months ago. I haven't heard any such stories tbh, & if I did I'd put them down to press BS.
ralph wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 13:46   #84
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Quote:
Sanchez signed for us just four months ago. I haven't heard any such stories tbh, & if I did I'd put them down to press BS.
Press bs indeed. Much like the stories about how disappointed Sanchez is with the team when, in an interview, he states how good they are and how he expects to win things with us.
jerl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 14:10   #85
goonerforever
Trusted User

Giroud set to be back in the squad for Manchester United game. I won't believe it until I see his name on the sheet though, as it just doesn't seem right for us that a player has come back *before* he was expected to!
goonerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 17:18   #86
richdmx
Gamertag : Freddy Fingerz

I really don't want Arsene to go. I would love him to change his ways, but he just seems too stubborn to. His response to Paul Merson's critism was basically to say "what does he know, i'm the boss". Which is right but Merson has a point.

The question I keep on asking myself, who could do a better job? Honestly i don't know unless someone comes in and tries. Maybe someone like Klopp or Simeone. Man Utd are a prime example of a long term boss leaving and the struggles that follow. I hope we don't follow that. It could even turn the other way and we have more success, who knows.

Arsene isn't going to be around forever, i think he will call it a day at the end of his 3 year contract as the board will never fire him, he's done too much for that and i wouldn't expect them to sack him. However my frustrations are at there highest point for years as its just so obvious to a normal football fan like me what our team's weaknesses are but our manager seems to turn a blind eye to the issues we have.

Of course i will support them and i hope he proves me wrong, but our problems at the moment are due to the fact our squad isnt equipped to deal with injuries and suspensions in the defensive area of the pitch.
richdmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:33   #87
fredfox_uk
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
I also read that had Wenger been in the country on deadline day he wouldn't have signed him permantly, only loaned with option to buy.
You need to read a bit more, that's just how the UK press has spun the story.
fredfox_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 13:27   #88
goonerforever
Trusted User

Yeah, a classic bit of media manipulation there. Wenger said he wouldn't have been able to sign him as the deal took all day to finalise and if he hadn't have gotten up early to go to Rome, he wouldn't have been able to do the deal as there wouldn't have been the time.
Old 22-11-2014, 19:41   #89
goonerforever
Trusted User

Arguably the most frustrating, and frustratingly predictable, games in a long time. Dominated, but contrive to concede without having a shot on target against us. Then caught on the counter as we throw all-but one man forward.

If we can't beat that United team, specifically that defence, I worry how long it will be until we do beat them.
Old 22-11-2014, 19:44   #90
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

I was delighted when I heard Utd were playing 3 at the back & indeed we should have been out of sight after 25 minutes, but when Wilshere missed such an easy chance, it was obvious we would lose. In all honesty, these were two very average teams.
Old 26-11-2014, 22:26   #91
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

After recent results, we have to be very happy with that result & performance, we were defensively much better. Really pleased for Sanogo, he has lots of very raw potential & another cracker from Sanchez too. Wouldn't be Arsenal without new injuries & it sounds like Arteta will be out for a while
Old 26-11-2014, 22:49   #92
goonerforever
Trusted User

Yep, great win. Saw it out well too, which was nice to see. Cracking goal from Alexis who was otherwise quiet, and Sanogo set up and finished the first goal well. Gibbs was outstanding, as was The Ox.

Wouldn't be us without an injury of two! At least we're through and can rest players against Galatasaray as I can't see Dortmund losing to Anderlecht anyway.

Let's hope we can carry it on at the weekend against West Brom...
Old 29-11-2014, 14:41   #93
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Only caught the second half, but happy enough with that result. A great run from Cazorla for the goal. Any news on Monreal?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33   #94
goonerforever
Trusted User

Big game tonight, will at least give us a sign if we have learnt from our issues as Southampton can easily hurt us on the counter attack. With other teams around us picking up points yesterday, we don't want to start falling further behind, especially when Stoke away at the weekend isn't exactly a fixture known for our success over the years!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20   #95
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Any news on Gibbs' fitness test yet? Panic stations if he's out!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:48   #96
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

BTW, if Peter UK still looks in from time to time, I'd like to apologise & admit that he is right about some of our fans! I've only really been on social media for the past year or two, but **** me, what a bunch of ***** some of them are. I've no problem with people thinking it is time for a change at Arsenal, but have a little bit of class about it. Anyone throwing insults at Arsene clearly hasn't a clue what he has done for us. Luckily, I don't have much class myself & will happily tell them where they can go
Old 03-12-2014, 13:11   #97
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Quote:
Any news on Gibbs' fitness test yet? Panic stations if he's out!
Said somewhere that monreal trained yesterday. So assuming kos isn't knackered again, we should have a left back to play left back
jerl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:17   #98
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerl100 View Post
Said somewhere that monreal trained yesterday. So assuming kos isn't knackered again, we should have a left back to play left back
Cheers That's good news at least.
Old 03-12-2014, 21:40   #99
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Phew! We were the better team (forster was brilliant), but I can't say that we were great. Giroud made a big difference when he came on & Sanchez saved our bacon!
Old 03-12-2014, 22:02   #100
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

I'd love to see a stat on how many late goals you have scored at the Emirates. It's literally unbelievable.
Fever Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote