Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2006, 23:21   #261
john316
XBL: morro316

I think this notion of 'first choice' will be dispensed with this season. The entire midfield will rotate throughout the campaign to keep it fresh throughout the campaign. Alonso finished the season as our best player IMO so why people seem to think he should be on the bench is beyond me. In the real big games, I think Rafa will just play Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko so I don't see the problem at all.
Old 14-08-2006, 08:07   #262
Guest 2564
YNWA

Another great day in Cardiff, in general we love playing at that venue so I won't be upset if Wemley is further delayed! Shocking amount of support for Chelsea, they had quite a few vocal fans outside the ground but once inside it was obvious that they only half filled their end. If they were singing we couldn't hear it!

I couldn't believe the team that was warming up, I really thought Rafa wasn't bothered the match!

Sissoko was a well deserved man of the match - he just doesn't stop and yesterday he was effective in both breaking up the Chelsea play and a threat going forward.

Riise had a stormer too, more than made up for a poor showing on Wednesday. Aside from his goal which was a peach (but poor keeping from Cudicini) he defender really well, I can't remember much coming down Chelseas right.

Agger looked cool and composed. Drogba won the first couple of headers against him and I was a little worried that Drogba was going to give him a tough match but he settled after that and never looked panicked.

The only one to really moan about was Alonso who again looked well off the pace. He did start very slowly last season so we have to hope it's the same again next season but we can't afford a slow start this time around.

Overall it was an excellent win and marker for the rest of the season. The way I look at it our half strength team somewhat unluckily drew the first half 1-1 and our stronger team won the second half 1-0!

I think Shevchenko will start to have nightmares about playing against us! Let's hope every encounter between us goes the same way this season if he is playing.
Old 14-08-2006, 08:52   #263
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
I think this notion of 'first choice' will be dispensed with this season. The entire midfield will rotate throughout the campaign to keep it fresh throughout the campaign. Alonso finished the season as our best player IMO so why people seem to think he should be on the bench is beyond me. In the real big games, I think Rafa will just play Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko so I don't see the problem at all.
I sort am sort of thinking along the same lines. I reckon Reina, Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko will be the backbone of the team with everyone else rotating around them. I think Rafa has got his team sorted now and I can feel this is going to be a really good season. Another Striker to bolster the ranks and we will be sorted. Also with Pongolle and a couple of the promising youngsters we are covered.

Also the best money Rafa has spent has to be Momo Sissoko. To think that boy could have been playing for Everton. I reckon they have to drag him off the training ground at the end of training. He is a top player and he seems to have gained extra skills over the summer. Just to prove Liverpool have some idiot fans there is a thread on one of the big LFC forums knocked Sissoko as a waster.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:10   #264
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

Obviously a good result yesterday and Rafa seems to have a few selection headaches now, which is good
If this is true,
Quote:
Dirk Kuyt is keen to become the latest striker to receive the adulation of the St James' Park crowd - but knows his price tag may see the Magpies look elsewhere

Feyenoord want Ł10m for the Dutch international, who is also wanted by Liverpool.

Kuyt said at the weekend: "I know quite a bit about Newcastle, they're one of the best supported teams in the Premier League and a typical English club.

"I would consider a move to Liverpool - they're likely to progress to the Champions League group stages. I would love to play in that competition but my first choice is Newcastle.

"I've always wanted to be a hero."

Kuyt added however: "I know Feyenoord are asking a massive fee and I don't know if Newcastle are willing to match that."
then I think Rafa should leave him for the Geordie, I don't think that's the sort of thing we want to hear from a player who maybe signing for LFC
Old 14-08-2006, 09:11   #265
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseypuffs
Obviously a good result yesterday and Rafa seems to have a few selection headaches now, which is good
If this is true, then I think Rafa should leave him for the Geordie, I don't think that's the sort of thing we want to hear from a player who maybe signing for LFC

If we sign him he will probably turn around and say Ian Rush was his hero and Liverpool were his boyhood team.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:17   #266
riz1
Trusted User

one or 2 of the papers yesterday were same our interest in Kuyt is dead; Klose was thrown into the mix...
I feel we do need another striker still.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:18   #267
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Ive not seen a single reliable source for those Kuyt comments, so i wouldnt read anything into it.

If they were legit, id expect sky and bbc to pick up on them.
Old 14-08-2006, 10:24   #268
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
Just to prove Liverpool have some idiot fans there is a thread on one of the big LFC forums knocked Sissoko as a waster.
- he looked a class act from the very first league game of last season. Now that he seems to be passing the ball effectively as well as developing his close control, he's becoming a complete midfielder. For us to have him and Alonso for less than Carrick is just
Old 14-08-2006, 14:20   #269
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

Ah, now we are playing in the Ukraine which killed all hopes of me flying to see the 2nd leg.
Old 14-08-2006, 15:42   #270
saltysam
Trusted User

carson's gone to charlton on loan

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...60814-1624.htm
Old 14-08-2006, 16:12   #271
Guest 48579
Banned

Which means that if anything happens to reina we have to rely on Dudek!
Old 14-08-2006, 17:11   #272
Ravioli

We seem to have a habit of signing English keepers and then sending them out on loan
Has David Martin gone anywhere?
Old 14-08-2006, 17:46   #273
saltysam
Trusted User

David Martin will be the reserve team keeper for this season.
Old 14-08-2006, 19:28   #274
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

Loaning Carson to Charlton is a pretty good move though, as it gives him the chance to impress in the Premiership. He's not going to get much better sitting on the bench and playing in the odd Carling Cup game for us. Remember he's still an LFC player, so if he does well his value increases or he shows Rafa that he can really push Reina for a starting place in the future, either way it's good news for us and him. Also if he can help Charlton take points off the other top sides it's got to be a bonus (he won't be allowed to play against LFC )
Old 14-08-2006, 20:06   #275
macca1476
Homer is god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli
We seem to have a habit of signing English keepers and then sending them out on loan
Has David Martin gone anywhere?
carson is young and needs games..

kirkland is unlucky that he just seems to get injured. we never got to see him actually play enough games to see if he was good enough...
Old 14-08-2006, 21:08   #276
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Questions for Chelsea:

1) Where the hell were the other 45% of your allocation ?? And "we could see you all sneaking out at the end"

2) Why did most of the reports I read today describe Sheva's goal as "superb" and yet the Riise - a left sided player - run up the entire right hand side of the pitch and "thunderstruck" shot barely get a mention ?? Paranoid about biassed media, me ??

3) If Liverpool losing to a 50% Chelsea would have been a huge pyschological blow, what did Chelsea losing to a 50% Liverpool (which we were for most of the game) do to you ?
Old 14-08-2006, 21:09   #277
movaado
XBL: movaado

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
Which means that if anything happens to reina we have to rely on Dudek!
I'd lay money that Carson can be recalled at short notice if injuries necessitate such a thing

As said above, Carson won't improve warming his rear on the subs bench

Last edited by movaado; 14-08-2006 at 21:12. Reason: typo
Old 14-08-2006, 21:38   #278
MartinC
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
I think this notion of 'first choice' will be dispensed with this season. The entire midfield will rotate throughout the campaign to keep it fresh throughout the campaign. Alonso finished the season as our best player IMO ..
hmm.. to be honest, I thought Alonso's form dipped after the world club championship last year, maybe jet lagged and suffered with this.

some good games, some bad.. he wasn't great in the FA Cup, his pass gave away the first goal I think?

he seemed okay in the world cup, but isn't quite upto pre-season speed as Sissoko, Zenden, and maybe Gerrard.

hence why I think he will be a sub or rotated for the first 2-4 weeks.

Last edited by MartinC; 14-08-2006 at 21:39.
Old 14-08-2006, 21:49   #279
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC
he seemed okay in the world cup, but isn't quite upto pre-season speed as Sissoko, Zenden, and maybe Gerrard.
Er Zenden has hardly looked fantastic
Old 14-08-2006, 21:56   #280
Guest 48579
Banned

I don't know what you lot are on about....

Alonso has been simply brilliant in preseason. best player on the pitch.

Bellamy, however. Bloody awful.

Closed Thread