Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 14-07-2006, 20:39   #41
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Eurosport France reported today that Alonso was trying to get out / buy himself out of his McLaren contract to stay at Renault. I don't think it's a likely outcome. I can believe Fernando might be wishing he could stay at Renault but i don't believe for a second that Ron would give him any room whatsoever to wrangle out of it.
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 20:44   #42
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

If Renault had signed up at the end of last season then he would never of left in the 1st place.Renault have no one to blame but themselfs for Alonso going to Mclaren.

I for one would love him to stay but can't see it.

Last edited by hunts1uk; 14-07-2006 at 20:44.
Guest 20396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 20:49   #43
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Mr moby do you have a link to the article please m8?
Old 14-07-2006, 21:00   #44
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

hunts, it wasn't an article. See here:
http://www.eurosport.fr/formule1/fra...tc136300.shtml

This was part of their live commentary @ 11:52.

Quote:
Alonso tenterait depuis quelques semaines de racheter son contrat signé avec l'écurie Mclaren pour rester chez Renault!!
See how rumours start!
Old 14-07-2006, 21:11   #45
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M0by
hunts, it wasn't an article. See here:
http://www.eurosport.fr/formule1/fra...tc136300.shtml

This was part of their live commentary @ 11:52.

See how rumours start!
Quote:
Alonso tenterait depuis quelques semaines de racheter son contrat signé avec l'écurie Mclaren pour rester chez Renault!!

Alonso would attempt for a few weeks to repurchase his signed contract with the stable Mclaren to remain with Renault!!

Last edited by hunts1uk; 16-07-2006 at 19:00.
Old 16-07-2006, 19:00   #46
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Renault boss Flavio Briatore has launched a late effort to try to retain the McLaren-bound services of Fernando Alonso.

The Spaniard is sailing to his second World Championship for the Renault squad, but at the end of the year is contracted to make the switch to McLaren Mercedes.

But with McLaren struggling to produce race-winning pace at the moment, French media sources are reporting that Alonso is partaking in Briatore's enquiries as to whether the McLaren deal might be bought out.

Both camps are denying the story, but it is suggested that Alonso only signed the McLaren deal because Renault's commitment to formula one was uncertain at the end of last year.

The French carmaker has since signed up beyond 2008.

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...16185717.shtml

Can't see it happening muself.
Old 16-07-2006, 21:54   #47
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

So no big Renault announcement this weekend then. Even Flavio is yet to sign for next season and beyond.
Old 17-07-2006, 06:38   #48
cervaro
Still here, for now!

I still find it odd that Vodafone would want to switch their sponsorship to a team that hasn't won a significant number of races for such a long time. If they want to waste the money on McLaren, why should we care?
cervaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 09:46   #49
Andrew70
Trusted User

I'd welcome an injection of cash into one of the few teams that can make a decent stab at running at the front. Ferrari's wealth hasn't helped them over the last season or so and dare I say they became a little complacent and lazy? I suspect Vodphone are just trying to shift their dollars to where success will be more newsworthy and with Alonso joining Ron and Co next year they're guaranteed a certain amount of exposure regardless of the track results.
Andrew70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 09:57   #50
cervaro
Still here, for now!

Points still mean prizes in F1, and that counts more than exposure if I were spending Vodafones money!
Old 17-07-2006, 11:19   #51
Andrew70
Trusted User

I doubt Vodaphone would care more for driver or constructor points if all the TV coverage was concentrating on the tussles behind the leaders and that's what just might be happening next year if Alonso's in an average McLaren and an average driver ends up in the superior Renault.
Andrew70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 11:28   #52
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Vodaphones shift to McLaren had more to do with commercial restrictions with Ferrari i think, given that their deal was actually with Phillip-Morris, who 'owned & leased' Ferrari space to them.
Old 18-07-2006, 21:12   #53
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Renault is pulling out all the stops to ensure that either Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen resides a blue and yellow F1 car next year.

Complimenting renewed speculation that Flavio Briatore is trying to woo McLaren's Finn, was a story at Magny Cours that the Renault principal also made enquiries as to whether Alonso's silver contract might also be undone.

A Renault spokesman called the rumour 'absolute nonsense', but Bild am Sonntag newspaper insists that 26-year-old Raikkonen will be a free agent as of the last day of July.

The newspaper said Raikkonen is presently bound to the terms of a $4.4m Ferrari pre-agreement - and that the money has already changed hands.

But Bild am Sonntag reports that the agreement runs out at the end of this month, whereafter Raikkonen could simply pay Ferrari back and drive for whomever he wants in 2007.

Renault president Alain Dassas, meanwhile, was quoted as saying by Welt newspaper: “We are ready to pay the usual market price for a good driver.”
Old 18-07-2006, 21:14   #54
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

From this Autosport article

Quote:
Go to earlier story Go to the News Index Go to next story

Briatore poised to decide his future

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 18th 2006, 15:48 GMT

Renault boss Flavio Briatore will announce his future plans by the German Grand Prix later this month, even though he still does not know who the team's lead driver will be next season.

The flamboyant Italian's contract with the French car manufacturer runs out at the end of the year and he has been pushed by the company's chiefs to re-commit to them - especially after the manner in which he has helped make them world champions.

Although he has previously said that he would wait until Formula One's summer break before deciding his future, he has told autosport.com that he will think about what he wants to do in the next few days before announcing his plans next week.

"I'll say something in Hockenheim," said Briatore, who made it clear that it was still not definite that he will be staying on despite Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn recently visiting the team's Enstone factory to talk to him. "I've not decided yet. We are still talking about it, and I want this week to think about it."

Briatore has spent the last few months bidding to find a replacement for world champion Fernando Alonso, and is still holding out hope that he can lure Kimi Raikkonen from the clutches of Ferrari.

When asked what the latest was on the situation, he said: "I don't know. Let's see. Let's see what happens with Ferrari."

When asked whether he believed that Raikkonen would get released by Ferrari from whatever agreement he has made with the team, Briatore said he was unsure.

"It depends if Michael stays or not. I am sure Michael doesn't want to drive with Kimi. What for?"

Then, with a smile across his face, he said: "Maybe we will have Schumacher and Alonso..."
Old 19-07-2006, 00:55   #55
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

He's in hospital at the moment,but from whats being said at work he will be signing for another year.
Old 19-07-2006, 20:47   #56
cervaro
Still here, for now!

Kimi probably didn't want to drive with Montoya after some of his recent antics!

I think Kimi will go to Ferrari as it they'd have the advantage next year with everyone on Bridgestones. As for Michael, I think he'll quit if the championship doesn't look achievable again this year. Can't be doing it for the money these days after all.
Old 19-07-2006, 21:29   #57
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervaro
As for Michael, I think he'll quit if the championship doesn't look achievable again this year. Can't be doing it for the money these days after all.
Really? I'd have thought it would be the other way round... if he feels he can win the title this season then might he not rather go out on the high of 8th WDC. Anyhoo, the French GP has come and gone & there was no big announcement from Renault. Either a) they're not Kimi's preferred option or b) he has to renegotiate his way out of some Ferrari ties. Todt has said all along that Ferrari will announce their drivers at Monza, which is still almost 2 months away! I think we'll be waiting until Ferrari announce their lineup before we know where Raikkonen is heading.
Old 19-07-2006, 22:17   #58
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

It's official now Renault are in talks with Kimi to drive next season.
Old 19-07-2006, 22:37   #59
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts1uk
It's official now Renault are in talks with Kimi to drive next season.
Again that's nothing new though is it. Kimi is a free agent (maybe ), there would be something seriously wrong if Alain Dassas and/or Flavio didn't speak to Kimi about signing for them.

I really would love to hear the definitive answer from Kimi or Steve Robertson but i'm convinced it won't happen until (as posted above) either Ferrari say they won't be requiring his services next season or some get-out-clause or pay off is made to free them to go to Renault. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon though.
Old 19-07-2006, 22:39   #60
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

FFS sorry Mr Moby i won't post anything else.