Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-07-2006, 08:15   #521
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 26,124
Thanks: 190
Thanked 355 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned_Alive
Lets face it, hes probably worth it. But, if we hadnt have fannied around we could have had him for £3.5m
Pennant is worth nowhere near £6M !!!
AdamBrunt is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 08:16   #522
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 26,124
Thanks: 190
Thanked 355 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC
where have the reports about Alonso to Real come from?

thought they were after fabregas.

£25m
Do what everyone else has done - and ignore them for the rubbish they are
AdamBrunt is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 08:20   #523
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,746
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riz1
Well obviously we are very reluctant to part with a versatile, pacey defender, who is a Champions League winner, after all.
We'll generously swap him for Bent and won't even demand any cash on top of that
And to sweeten the deal, we could throw in World Cup star and top international midfielder Salif Diao for FREE!!!!!11111

Last edited by cheeseypuffs; 21-07-2006 at 08:20.
cheeseypuffs is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 11:15   #524
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 2,007
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
Pennant is worth nowhere near £6M !!!
Of course he is, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Guest 34961 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 11:29   #525
Guest 26092
Ass kissin'
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Somewhere, over the rainbow
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear Folwer's been given the no.9 shirt
Guest 26092 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 11:42   #526
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 26,124
Thanks: 190
Thanked 355 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned_Alive
Of course he is, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
You said yourself that if we hadn't fannied around we could have got him for £3.5M.

So ... what has he done since then, apart from get relegated to the Championship, to warrant a nigh on 100% increase in value ?? Answer: Nothing. Therefore, he is not worth anywhere near £6M.

If we are willing to pay £6M for Pennant - I want to know why the hell we're not prepared to pay £10M for Alves who is a much better player

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 21-07-2006 at 12:04.
AdamBrunt is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:09   #527
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!
 
Lee Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Oxford
Posts: 1,966
Thanks: 40
Thanked 80 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
If we are willing to pay £6M for Pennant - I want to know why the hell we're not prepared to pay £10M for Alves who is a much better player
It may have something to do with the lingering spectre of a minimum number of home-grown players for European competition. We're aren't in a very good position in that regard.
Lee Brown is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:24   #528
Guest 26092
Ass kissin'
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Somewhere, over the rainbow
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown
It may have something to do with the lingering spectre of a minimum number of home-grown players for European competition. We're aren't in a very good position in that regard.
There's Gerrard, Carragher & Crouch. I think it's three to qualify.
Guest 26092 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:31   #529
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 26,124
Thanks: 190
Thanked 355 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaggio
There's Gerrard, Carragher & Crouch. I think it's three to qualify.
And by the time the rule comes in (if it comes in) - lots of our "foreign" players will be safe due to how long they've been at the club
AdamBrunt is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:35   #530
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 2,007
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
You said yourself that if we hadn't fannied around we could have got him for £3.5M.

So ... what has he done since then, apart from get relegated to the Championship, to warrant a nigh on 100% increase in value ?? Answer: Nothing. Therefore, he is not worth anywhere near £6M.

If we are willing to pay £6M for Pennant - I want to know why the hell we're not prepared to pay £10M for Alves who is a much better player
Just because we could've got him for £3.5m doesnt mean thats what hes worth. He would've been a bargain at £3.5m, now we'd just be paying his worth. Birmingham needed to sell at the time, so he was cheap, now they dont, so hes back to a more or less correct price.

Also i cant say ive seen enough of Alves to really comment on him and i suspect many other people havent either.

Last edited by Burned_Alive; 21-07-2006 at 12:36.
Guest 34961 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:41   #531
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!
 
Lee Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Oxford
Posts: 1,966
Thanks: 40
Thanked 80 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaggio
There's Gerrard, Carragher & Crouch. I think it's three to qualify.
I quick google revealed :

Quote:
Originally Posted by From UEFA.com
UEFA.com (21st April 2005)
Under the proposals, the 'A' list that teams submit for UEFA club competitions would continue to be limited to 25 players, and from season 2006/07, at least two places on this list would be reserved for players trained by a club's own academy with a further two places for players trained by other clubs from within the same association of the said club.

In the following two seasons, one additional place for a club-trained player and one additional place for an association-trained player would be reserved on the 'A' list, so that by the 2008/09 campaign, each club would have in its 25-man squad four club trained and four association-trained players.
So we need at least two academy players (from Gerrard, Carragher and Fowler in our case). What's not clear is if we have three academy players, do we still need two more non-lfc academy players, or just one?

However for future seasons, its clear we have to up our English quota.
Lee Brown is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:50   #532
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!
 
Lee Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Oxford
Posts: 1,966
Thanks: 40
Thanked 80 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
And by the time the rule comes in (if it comes in) - lots of our "foreign" players will be safe due to how long they've been at the club
You could be right

Quote:
Uefa define 'club trained' player as a somebody who has been with his team for three seasons, likewise a player who has been registered in an association for three seasons can be classified from within that region.
Therefore any player bought who's been playing in England at least three years is effectively English anyway, regardless of his nationality. By next season then Alonso and Garcia will be 'English', and plenty of our squad already are anyway, Riise, Hyypia, Finnan, Bellamy (I think), Zenden & Kewell.
Lee Brown is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 12:54   #533
saltysam
Trusted User
 
saltysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: liverpool england
Posts: 12,499
Thanks: 23
Thanked 168 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned_Alive
Just because we could've got him for £3.5m doesnt mean thats what hes worth. He would've been a bargain at £3.5m, now we'd just be paying his worth. Birmingham needed to sell at the time, so he was cheap, now they dont, so hes back to a more or less correct price.

Also i cant say ive seen enough of Alves to really comment on him and i suspect many other people havent either.
what's Pennant done to be worth 6 million he failed at his previous big club arsenal,was farmed out on loan to leeds where he didn't do much and they were relegated, ended up at birmingham where he looked at best a solid but hardly top class winger with a poor goal return. brum ended up relegated as well & given the baggage that comes with pennant if anything he's not even worth 3.5 mill imo.
saltysam is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:00   #534
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 26,124
Thanks: 190
Thanked 355 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned_Alive
Just because we could've got him for £3.5m doesnt mean thats what hes worth. He would've been a bargain at £3.5m, now we'd just be paying his worth. Birmingham needed to sell at the time, so he was cheap, now they dont, so hes back to a more or less correct price.
No ... Birmingham think that we are desperate for a RW and are willing to pay over the odds, so have raised his price for that reason alone.

£3.5M was an, arguably OTT, evaluation of his true worth ... £6M is Birmingham extracting the urine

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 21-07-2006 at 13:04.
AdamBrunt is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:05   #535
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaggio
I hear Fowler's been given the no.9 shirt
Does anyone think this is an indication that Rafa will play him as our main striker? Or is it just cause it works out nicely with Cisse releasing the shirt and Fowler having previously been GOD in it?
__________________
L I V... E R P... Double O L... LIVERPOOL FC
balstino is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:08   #536
saltysam
Trusted User
 
saltysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: liverpool england
Posts: 12,499
Thanks: 23
Thanked 168 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Does anyone think this is an indication that Rafa will play him as our main striker? Or is it just cause it works out nicely with Cisse releasing the shirt and Fowler having previously been GOD in it?
it's just a nice touch to give him the number 9, a bit of nostalgia,Robbie won't be our main striker this season.
saltysam is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:14   #537
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 2,007
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
No ... Birmingham think that we are desperate for a RW and are willing to pay over the odds, so have raised his price for that reason alone.

£3.5M was an, arguably OTT, evaluation of his true worth ... £6M is Birmingham extracting the urine
Except, we had already agreed a few of £3.5m with Birmingham back then, so that obviously isnt true. Plus everyone knows exactly the opposite is true, we're NOT willing to pay over the odds...
Guest 34961 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:24   #538
saltysam
Trusted User
 
saltysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: liverpool england
Posts: 12,499
Thanks: 23
Thanked 168 Times in 61 Posts
if we want to make a challenge for the premiership,we need top class players in key positions. Pennant doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.
saltysam is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:25   #539
Guest 2564
YNWA
 
Guest 2564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kidwelly, West Wales..
Posts: 4,611
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Does anyone think this is an indication that Rafa will play him as our main striker? Or is it just cause it works out nicely with Cisse releasing the shirt and Fowler having previously been GOD in it?
I think it's a nostaligic act and a way of recognsing the respect Fowler has with the fans. I also think it might be a clue that it's his last season with us and the wanted to honour him this season with the number 9 shirt.
Guest 2564 is offline  
Old 21-07-2006, 13:27   #540
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 2,007
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam
if we want to make a challenge for the premiership,we need top class players in key positions. Pennant doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.
Id probably agree, im discussing his value, not whether id want him at the club or not. Though Id rather get Pennant now than go without a dedicated right winger for the season.
Guest 34961 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.qq
Copyright ©2000 - 2021 Network N Ltd.