Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 21:32   #121
Guest 45472
Banned

I think the American guy would make a great future Doctor. I envy his good looks and he is really funny.
Old 12-06-2005, 22:21   #122
Blenky
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooksta
PS
No other programe could pull of a Big Brother, Weakest Link & that makeover show and get away with it.
I would rate this as the best DrWho ive ever seen and the best season ever.
I think you correct on both observations. I hate all the shows they used but it still worked. However as someone said using references to such shows may mean it will date quickly.
Old 12-06-2005, 23:57   #123
Andrew70
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravid
I think the American guy would make a great future Doctor. I envy his good looks and he is really funny.
I agree, he does look very good indeed. He then looks even better when you consider he's actually 38 years old!
Old 13-06-2005, 00:36   #124
Guest 1019
Trusted User

The doctor's become a little more aggressive over the years, hasn't he?!

All that stuff at the end about "wiping every stinking one of you out", or something like that, yet one of the early doctors (Tom Baker I think) had the chance to wipe out the entire Dalek race but hesitated and lost the opportunity because he thought if he wiped out an entire intelligent life-form then he'd be no better than the Daleks themselves...
Old 13-06-2005, 01:03   #125
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

I thought it was a good ep too - not the best yet as I think The Unquiet Dead and the two-parter WW2 ones are the joint best stories, but not far behind.
Old 13-06-2005, 07:20   #126
capricorn1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J M

All that stuff at the end about "wiping every stinking one of you out", or something like that, yet one of the early doctors (Tom Baker I think) had the chance to wipe out the entire Dalek race but hesitated and lost the opportunity because he thought if he wiped out an entire intelligent life-form then he'd be no better than the Daleks themselves...
In that episode though wasn't he there to wipe them out before they really became the Dalek's? I seem to recall (haven't seen it for years) the Doctor made the point that without them other 'races' wouldn't have come together as they had done as they had a common enemy.
Old 13-06-2005, 07:30   #127
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
She does mutter something, but it sounds like her saying 'ah' as she nearly falls over when getting up off the floor. Could be mis-interpreted as a naughty word by people though.
I listened to it several times on my Tivo and it really does sound like the F-word, obviously could just be a grunt but it could easily be misinterpreted!

As for the episode, great stuff, I do feel it was a mistake to use contemporary TV shows in it as I feel that will date it very badly and it does just seem very gimmicky but the story itself was excellent and the last few minutes were brilliant, especially the doctors conversation with the Daleks and him just switching off the view screen at the end!

Really looking forward to next weeks, only thing is, I'll be at the Bristol meet (like many of you obviously will ) so wont see it live, plus I will have just moved and wont have Sky to catch the BBC3 repeat so I don't know when I'll actually get to see it! Might have to record it on VHS from analogue BBC1
Old 13-06-2005, 08:10   #128
Guest 48118
Trusted User

Enjoyed it very much but then it had daleks so was always going to enjoy it and suprisingly I didnt find the BB or Weakest Link parts that bad, thought they would be the filler leading upto the end but they actually worked quite well.

As for who's voice that was at the end of the trailer, it is probaley...
Old 13-06-2005, 08:53   #129
ChrisHunt
GT:Chunty PSN: Chunty1983

Quote:
As for who's voice that was at the end of the trailer, it is probaley...

Old 13-06-2005, 09:09   #130
Guest 8751
Trusted User

my guess as to the voice

Old 13-06-2005, 09:10   #131
SPB
Balding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHunt

Against popular opinion (on this page anyway!) I hope captain Jack gets vapourised by the Daleks, then his ash get reversed over and over just to make sure....

edit: Forgot to say this episode started 'OK' and ended 'very good'. Didn't like the whole 'lets use todays game shows/hosts' idea really, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. The episode got better as it went on. Not the best episode but pretty good once it got going.

Glad the Daleks seem to be back to normal rather than the namby pamby touch feely watery rubbish we had earlier in the series. "Exterminate, Exterminate!", marvellous

Last edited by SPB; 13-06-2005 at 09:37.
Old 13-06-2005, 09:20   #132
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilalford
I listened to it several times on my Tivo and it really does sound like the F-word, obviously could just be a grunt but it could easily be misinterpreted!
So they let that through, yet won't show Cap'n Jack's butt? Naw - you just want Billie Piper to talk dirty to you; admit it now, c'mon...
Old 13-06-2005, 09:21   #133
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by J M

The Tom Baker incident was before the Daleks had wiped out all the Time Lords though. I think the current Doctor has good reason to have become more aggressive towards the Daleks.

I loved the bit where he handed the gun back in this ep though, it was almost acknowledging what you've posted above.
Old 13-06-2005, 09:38   #134
Guest 31673
Trusted User

Has www.badwolf.org.uk changed by any chance? The reason I asked is I accessed it from my computer at work last week with no problems but I've just tried to go on it but the internet filtering program (Websense) my company uses has now stopped access to the page with the message: 'The Websense category "Tasteless" is filtered'!!!
Old 13-06-2005, 09:44   #135
Guest 9652
Timelord

I got all excited when I watched this episode cos of the dalek task force and 500,000 daleks. This must be the most daleks in any episode of Doctor Who. I was even more excited when I heard Davros' voice. He's just a class villian.

I have thought of a way of killing the daleks though - Get Rose to touch them like in the episode (Dalek) and infect them with human DNA. LOL LOL LOL.

Last edited by 01keith; 13-06-2005 at 09:45.
Old 13-06-2005, 10:01   #136
capricorn1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsly
my guess as to the voice

Old 13-06-2005, 10:10   #137
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01keith
I got all excited when I watched this episode cos of the dalek task force and 500,000 daleks. This must be the most daleks in any episode of Doctor Who. I was even more excited when I heard Davros' voice. He's just a class villian.
There was no indicator that the voice heard was Davros. Note that the character of Davros was only created in 1974, and before that there was an emperor or black dalek in charge, so the voice might be any of those or it might be something totally unexpected. We shall see ...
Old 13-06-2005, 10:10   #138
Guest 31673
Trusted User

The following is an article written by RTD for the Guardian:

Alien resurrection

Not everyone believed in his Doctor Who revival. But, as the series nears its triumphant climax, Russell T Davies says the only scary part of the process was meeting the monsters

Monday June 13, 2005
The Guardian

Never go back. That's what they say about boyfriends, or certain restaurants, or any kind of first love. And Doctor Who was the very first thing I loved on telly. As a kid I loved it simply and honestly, before there existed a million websites analysing Best Monster, Worst Costume and Funniest Death.
So, when I was asked to bring back Doctor Who, I did pause. Going back can work for maybe one night - a drink, a flirt, a snog, then vanish - but this was going to be a year of my life. Plenty of people told me that it was a mistake, that revivals never work, that science fiction was irretrievably niche, that frankly, I had better things to do. It sounded like a great mistake. And that's what made my mind up. Flying in the face of opinion, lovely.

We started work, in the corridors of BBC Wales. Here, the lifts announce the floor in both English and Welsh, which is fine, but in the voice of a child trapped down a well, which is not. The team began to gather. If we had been in LA, we would have just wandered along the lot and snapped up production teams from whatever sci-fi show had been axed that week. But that expertise did not exist in the UK. Every single department had to learn its stuff from scratch. I dreaded that being a disadvantage, but now I think it added a lot of adrenaline, and even passion.

When the work started, I had presumed that I was long in the tooth when it came to television drama. I have done gay men, Jesus and Casanova, all of which should converge nicely on a Time Lord. But Doctor Who turned out to be a world of its own, a mad, colourful, little world with dozens of satellites. We had a long day in a hot Cardiff conference room, working out how certain aliens could have zips in their foreheads. Can hair have a zip? Should they be bald? But what about the women? Are they bald too? Can we get bald women? Can the hair be a wig, can they lift it up? But doesn't that still make them bald? And so on, for three hours. And then we turned to page two.

Script editing sessions normally revolve around basic emotions - why is he angry, who does he love, why does he not say so? Doctor Who brought a whole new set of considerations. We had one fraught session over a scene where our heroes find an invisible spaceship. We picked at it for hours, until someone said, why is it invisible? Because it is hidden. No, but the point of the scene is that they find it, so why does it actually need to be invisible? Oh. Good point. (And a lot of money saved, hooray.)

One night, at 10 o'clock in a Newport warehouse, we had a Monster Parade. Except the monsters weren't ready, so it became a Monsters' Clothes Parade. Dressers strode up and down in front of us, looking like someone had mugged an opera. I joined in and spent the night in a big furry ensemble, which I wish I had stolen. On other days, alien beings would walk around on set, drinking coffee through straws. The Moxx with its face of blue, the Living Trees, the zippy Slitheen. Strange thing is, I would find myself staying away from the monsters. I rationalised this as keeping a guilty distance from some poor actor having to suffer in hot latex. But actually, I think somewhere deep down, it is because they were monsters.

Then there were the camera crews. Not just ours, but the behind-the-scenes teams - 13 half-hour documentaries for BBC3, the electronic press kit, the website, GMTV, the Culture Show, you name it. I was given a camcorder to create some DVD extras, so I filmed them filming the filming of the filming. That is the game, these days. The extras are part of the hype, and I cannot deny that I am glad the hype was with us. On screen, the Doctor was deliberately flying the flag as a very British icon (Routemaster buses, Big Ben, Simon Callow) while off screen, the concept was given a very American kick up the arse. We built in sweeps episodes - event episodes and two-part stories placed strategically throughout the run, designed to boost ratings. The last in the series quickly became the "season finale". And we did not just learn structure from the States, we stole story. So many good dramas - thank you, Buffy - had expanded the genre. They showed us that if you can laugh and cry in the middle of a story, then the adventure is that much better.

I never expected any of this to work. I swear, I thought the niche would win. I'd watch rushes of Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper being so very, very excellent, and feel sad that all this hard work would be relegated to a Friday at midnight by week seven. But somehow, it seems to have worked, although you will not find me celebrating until after the last episode - sorry, season finale. And even then, I am not going to think too much about what worked. Beware the analysis. I went into the first series on instinct, and that's how it should stay.

But I love this show as much as ever. It has not diminished as I feared it would. I can still catch a Jon Pertwee repeat on UK Gold and be happy as a Zygon. And as a writer, I have had a ball. This programme gave me the chance to swing from New Labour to Dalek armies, taking in plastic surgery, Fox News, religious fanatics and farting obesity along the way, with a Christmas special to come (just wait till you see what we do with Santa). I should never have worried about going back. This programme's about time travel. In the act of going back, it is hurtling forward, as fast as it can go.
Old 13-06-2005, 10:19   #139
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I went into the first series on instinct, and that's how it should stay.
Huzzah. But TBH part of me is dreading next Saturday and that - ugh! - 'season finale', which is bound to have a cliffhanger ending, leading to weeks and weeks of angst, speculation, anticipation...and much 'net geekifracation

Last edited by John Hodson; 13-06-2005 at 10:20.
Old 13-06-2005, 10:34   #140
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
...Christmas special to come (just wait till you see what we do with Santa)...
Now look here !
My kid might not believe the Daleks are real but she still believes Santa brings her pressies. RTD better not ruin Christmas in my house
Closed Thread