Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 21:08   #81
Sneeka
pull my finger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbrat
just to be extra annoying could someone please (briefly) explain who davros and adam are?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davros

Old 11-06-2005, 21:09   #82
andybhoy
Trusted User

to post spoilers, add the word spoiler between square brackets at the start of the spoiler, and then add /spoiler in square brackets at the end of the spoiler.
Old 11-06-2005, 21:09   #83
redmosquito
Trusted User

To be honest I loved this episode, it was top notch TV and I can't wait for next week

I'm going to avoid spoilers, but I haven't felt this good about a show since Buffy, it's just top notch stuff
Old 11-06-2005, 21:15   #84
new
Sand Dab

Thumbs up

Very, very good & glade to see that RTD is getting praise from some of you at long last. If we all think it’s a long wait to next week after that we are going to have to wait to Xmas to see what happens next.

As for the owner of that voice, well I’m thinking 4 things:

The fact the "Dalek" episode was directly before “The Long Game” one & we are now back to where one that was set, makes me think the “Dalek” episode has also got to have a significant link to what is going on some how.

Have to also say that the new Doctor has got a tough act to follow. Thought Eccleston was OK at first but he really has been an important part in this show’s revival.

EDIT - As a heads up there is a 45min Doctor Who Confidential on BBC1 at 6.15pm (before the last episode) next Saturday as well as the usual 25min one on BBC 3 after the show.
Not sure if the later one will be an edited down version of the longer one or not.

Last edited by new; 11-06-2005 at 21:26.
Old 11-06-2005, 21:16   #85
chillster76
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP
Hmm, in the guest stars for Bad Wolf it lists an actual character of 'Bad Wolf' played by "Kevin Eldon". Any idea if that makes any sense?
Old 11-06-2005, 21:17   #86
Lorne.t
Trusted User

I thought it was a brilliant episode.
I loved all the little Dalek reveals,even though I had seen last weeks trailer.
The build towards the end in the last few minutes was worth waiting for a week also.
It's certainly been a succesful revamp,let's hope we'll all warm to Casanova in the same way as the current Doc...
Old 11-06-2005, 21:52   #87
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

i HAD to look at this thread, just to see if the episode was any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45
so he's back then?
that gave me shivers down my spine...

cant wait to see this, looks like im waiting till monday tho

LooN
Old 11-06-2005, 21:58   #88
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new

As for the owner of that voice, well I’m thinking 4 things:

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Old 11-06-2005, 22:33   #89
Guest 2728
Trusted User

That was fantastic! All those doubting Russell T Davies better let me know how that humble pie tastes, 'cos 'Bad Wolf' rocks and POTW looks even better. Utterly compelling, chock-full of great lines ('Do i look like an out of bounds kind of guy?' 'No-one votes for sweet!'), great direction, atmospheric, pacy, with some great twists ('I created this world', Rose disintegrated before our eyes). Also, despite the small-scale 'Boom Town' giving the impression that the budget had run out, the special effects were the best yet. The final shot, the pull-back from Rose seeing thousands of Daleks in the giant hold of the ship, honestly looked like the tour of the cloning factory in Attack of the Clones. Director Joe Ahearne has worked miracles on his episodes, and he will be missed next series. The only blot on the copybook was the blatanly unsubtle reprise of all the 'Bad Wolf' moments from earlier in the series laid over the title sequence, for all those at the back of the class that haven't been paying attention. Unnecessary.

ROSE 7/10
THE END OF THE WORLD 8/10
THE UNQUIET DEAD 9/10
ALIENS OF LONDON 7/10
WORLD WAR THREE 7/10
DALEK 8/10
THE LONG GAME 6/10
FATHER'S DAY 9/10
THE EMPTY CHILD 8/10
THE DOCTOR DANCES 8/10
BOOM TOWN 7/10
BAD WOLF 9/10

Is it next Saturday yet?
Old 11-06-2005, 22:41   #90
Guest 33132
PSN: Tomathee

I watched most of it and agree with the good things people have said so won't go into them again. Suprised no ones had a moan about the screwdriver's over-use, at least in the parts i saw. Anyone know what happens to Jack? Haven't heard mention of him in next series so guess he is killed/parts ways with Rose at the end?
Old 11-06-2005, 23:09   #91
Andy
Logomotive

This was just bloody good television and the best Dr Who for years. RTD's best script and a Doctor I will sorely miss in Eccleston. Can't believe it will be all over next week.

Fantastic stuff
Old 11-06-2005, 23:38   #92
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I also enjoyed it, good edge of the seat directing, could tell the direction was good form th efirst scene of the doctor trapped in the room. Having however many hundred years in the future be based on our current teevee is not very intelligent, lazy cheesy writing. However it did it well, and the daleks were well intense again when they reappeared. Lets just hope the cybermen are done as well, I for one am hoping for singsong voices.
Old 11-06-2005, 23:44   #93
LiviLion
Live At The Witch Trials

I think that this series has been excellent in every way. Can't wait until next week.
Old 11-06-2005, 23:52   #94
Ricinus
Trusted User

QUITE Bizarre.
I've not enjoyed this series as much as I wanted but this episode was great. I also thought the earlier 'Long Game' was good too.

I still don't like what I'm calling inappropriate grinning from Ecclestone and I can't stand Jack.

BUT the look on my daughter's face when Rose got zapped has made it all worthwhile.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42   #95
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
The only blot on the copybook was the blatanly unsubtle reprise of all the 'Bad Wolf' moments from earlier in the series laid over the title sequence, for all those at the back of the class that haven't been paying attention. Unnecessary.

?
You mean, normal viewers and not Dr Who fans? I doubt the average viewer will remember the conversation Rose had with Gwyneth 10 weeks ago, so it was a welcome reprise.

Last edited by thescrounger; 12-06-2005 at 01:47.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:49   #96
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Excellent from start to finish, apart from the music drowning out the dialogue in a couple of places, firstly just after Rose was zapped, but that was intentional I think, to emphasize that the Doc was so stunned by Rose's apparent death, the goings on around him did not matter, and secondly in the dialogue between the Doc and the Daleks - music way too loud.

Anyway, to me it is seems fairly obvious who said 'they survived though me' ... potential massive spoilers if its correct ...

... although ... [back-covering disclaimer] I could have got all of that completely wrong.[/back-covering disclaimer]

Last edited by Refrenz; 12-06-2005 at 01:53. Reason: because of his butter-fingers typing.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:20   #97
CLH
La Bender

Sky+ missed the Beeb 1 so I picked it up on Three last night.

I'm typing this 5 minutes after what I consider to be utterly breathtaking television.

I thought Spooks S2 ws the pinnacle of Beeb programming.

I was wrong..........and I so so want it to be next Saturday.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55   #98
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
That was fantastic! All those doubting Russell T Davies better let me know how that humble pie tastes,
Why would anyone need to eat humble pie? All his episodes prior to this were average compared to the other writers. This one blew them all away. Rather than eating humble pie, I'm just glad he finally learnt how to write an exceptional episode and hope he did the same for next week. Its a shame he couldn't have done it earlier - but it gives me hope for next season, that he's learned his lessons and will be producing the best season of Who ever.

I didn't "doubt" him, I just didn't build up huge expectations in case it matched his earlier output.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01   #99
cliff homewood
Trusted User

And I being a pedantic nitpicker still have question like if it was a transporter beam what was the big pile of dust loeft behind when it was used? Also surprised they didn't leave the rose is not dead reveal till next week, perhaps they thought it'd be too much for the kids?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:05   #100
Lorne.t
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood
...surprised they didn't leave the rose is not dead reveal till next week, perhaps they thought it'd be too much for the kids?
There was no point.
BBC would have shown she was alive 2 seconds after the episode had ended!
Closed Thread