Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 22-03-2005, 20:39   #1
slatermethuen
Sir Lurkalot

Sharing broadband connection via dial-in connection

I am trying to configure my home PC so that my folks can dial-in to it and access the internet via my broadband ADSL connection (their phone calls to me are free and I don't use my land line for telephone calls anymore). Basically I want to set myself up as a free ISP for my parents!

Firstly, I created an 'incoming dial in connection' using the XP network connections wizard and set up an account to be used by the connection. But whenever I dial in with the correct username and password the connection fails and I get an error message in the system log file recording that a login attempt has been made but that the authentication failed.

Secondly, I tried to set up the PC for internet connection sharing but the wizard fails ('unable to complete operation' or something similar) I assume this is because some needed service has been disabled, but there is no indication in the log files as to what the service might be.

Does anyone know whether what I am trying to do is technicaly possible with the XP pro built-in software? Has anyone tried this and succeeded? I'm not having any luck with Google.

Cheers,

SM
slatermethuen is offline   Reply With Quote