Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 18-01-2013, 15:06   #761
Kevin
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
What have amazon said about it? Not Royal Mail's fault they are putting the wrong prices on! Unless I've misunderstood something?
I think you have mis-read it.

Amazon correctly put the item value of $21.99 on and listed the shipping separately at $6.48 but Royal Mail declared the value to HMRCE as $28.47

Royal Mail combined the two amounts and declared that to customs, and that's why it got charged.

Amazon did nothing wrong. HMRCE simply charged what they believed was a chargeable amount declared by Royal Mail. Royal Mail simply cocked-up by declaring the incorrect value to HMRCE.

And now Royal Mail say there is nothing that can be done other than pay the fees, and go through the (long winded) procedure to reclaim them back.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:36   #762
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Yes sorry I presumed as you quoted the amazon problem that was what had happened to you. Sucks
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 20:03   #763
statto
Jedi Master

Has anyone dealt with a company called parceltracker-uk.com?

I had a text message from them saying a parcel was being held and gave me a reference number for their website. The only thing I've ordered from the US was something off eBay for £8, so nothing should have been stopped, but I figured if they've included the postage charge (I know they shouldn't) it may have pushed it over the limit.

When I input the reference number it says there is a £40 handling and shipping charge! Are these con-men or what? I can't believe that customs would be using people who charge insane rates like this.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 20:19   #764
Richie
Trusted User

It's a scam.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 01:20   #765
Listy
Hello meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
Has anyone dealt with a company called parceltracker-uk.com?

I had a text message from them saying a parcel was being held and gave me a reference number for their website. The only thing I've ordered from the US was something off eBay for £8, so nothing should have been stopped, but I figured if they've included the postage charge (I know they shouldn't) it may have pushed it over the limit.

When I input the reference number it says there is a £40 handling and shipping charge! Are these con-men or what? I can't believe that customs would be using people who charge insane rates like this.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=60960735
Listy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:43   #766
Guest 45362
Trusted User

It's a phishing scam, nothing more. You're not expecting anything from the US except that one item that is well below the limit anyway. Any reputable carrier firm would invoice you by letter - not a text. Have you given you rmobile number to the sender of that package? I'm betting you have not.

It's just a scam.
Guest 45362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 17:44   #767
statto
Jedi Master

Yes, thanks guys, I thought as much. Even the website looked like it had been knocked up in 10 minutes.

My item arrived today anyway. I'd like to know where they got my phone number from though.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:52   #768
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Random dialling.
Old 30-04-2013, 18:58   #769
welshmatt
Rusted User

Re: [FAQ] Customs and Import Duties

Yep I've had as few of these to my work phone. It's just coincidence you had one whilst actually awaiting a parcel.
Old 09-12-2013, 16:09   #770
Guest 27297
Trusted User

I've just been stung on a package from etsy.com.

The value of the goods is $21, but it has been marked at $25. As far as I can tell, the £15 Import Limit is $24.57, so I'm over by 43c.

At this point, they've included the postage, which has been marked as $23.95 by USPS - feel a bit for the Etsy seller as they quoted $9 for postage...

So in total by parcel is being valued at $48.95, so has been taxed £6.05, plus the RM "Admin" fee of £8, so £14.05 charge for being less than a dollar over the limit, and even that was a mistake.

The HMRC website is a complete nightmare to navigate, and most of the links in the original post don't work. Can anyone point me in the correct direction as to making a complaint / claim? Is it worth doing? I couldn't even find the limits on the site, to see if being posted in November, arriving in December would make any difference.
Guest 27297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 22:44   #771
Paul Moran
Trusted User

The exchange rates are here:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...d=EXRATES_2013

and the rules are here (on-line version of Notice 143):

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Despatch date is not relevant. The "customs" exchange rate in force when the item is received in UK is what counts.

Shipping costs are only included in the calculations if the cost of the goods themselves is over £15. At $21 (excl shipping), you were well within the £15 allowance, so you can make a claim. Be prepared for a long wait. And you will need to reclaim the RM handling fee separately, after Border Force have agreed the duty (VAT) refund. You can download a Border Force claim form - a link is in the guide - but RM will require a letter, I think.
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 12:44   #772
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstarr View Post
I've just been stung on a package from etsy.com.

The value of the goods is $21, but it has been marked at $25. As far as I can tell, the £15 Import Limit is $24.57, so I'm over by 43c.

At this point, they've included the postage, which has been marked as $23.95 by USPS - feel a bit for the Etsy seller as they quoted $9 for postage...

So in total by parcel is being valued at $48.95, so has been taxed £6.05, plus the RM "Admin" fee of £8, so £14.05 charge for being less than a dollar over the limit, and even that was a mistake.

The HMRC website is a complete nightmare to navigate, and most of the links in the original post don't work. Can anyone point me in the correct direction as to making a complaint / claim? Is it worth doing? I couldn't even find the limits on the site, to see if being posted in November, arriving in December would make any difference.
If they have incorrectly marked the goods value as something other than what you actually paid then you can put a claim into HMRC for a refund, if what you paid for the goods is below the threshold.

Here's how it works:

The sender should mark the goods value as whatever the buyer actually paid for them. They shouldn't use RRP's or a price that fails to include a special discount, or whatever. They will normally mark that in their domestic currency, although sometimes it can be in the currency used to make the payment as a few stores allow payments in foreign currencies. This is why the declaration also requires the sender to indicate which currency the value is in (espescially as there are LOTS of different dollars)

When the package arrives in the UK it is valued in pounds sterling - this valuation means a currency coversion, and they use the rate quoted by HMRC that prevails at the time of valuation. In other words, if your package arrives in the UK in November, they look at the exchange rate that HMRC will be using for November. These rates are fixed for each month in th elast week of the preceding month. They do not change unless the exchange rate fluctuates by more than 5%, either way, in any one week of that month. This is very rare between major, stable currencies (such as sterling vs. US dollar, euro, etc) but can happen between say sterling and currencies of less stable places like some African states.

If then value of the goods is less than £15 at that point, the package is just delivered. If it is over £15, they add the shipping costs to the item value, and then charge VAT on the total - in other words, 20%. There may also be Duty, but this is waived if it adds up to £9 or less, and since Duty is only 3.5% on stuff like DVD's can normally be ignored (whereas it can be up to 30% on some things, unlike VAT it is not a flat rate). A very few items, notably books, are VAT free.

Once a package becomes liable for a charge, then the carrier will pay HMRC for you, then recover that money from you before they'll deliver. They will charge an admin fee for doing that. For Royal Mail this is always £8.

If, as I said, the sender has misquoted the price you paid, resulting in an arroneous charge then you can get a refund from HMRC. You would need proof of what you paid, a printout of an email invoice will usually do.

Once HMRC has refunded you, then assuming there should have been no charge from them, you can get your £8 back from Royal Mail as well. But you need the refund letter from HMRC to do this. Obviously, if you only got some money back from HMRC - in other words, there was still a charge due but the original one was too high, then the £8 isn;t refundable.

The commercial exchange rate at the time of purchase is largely irrelevent, what matters is the rates HMRC use when they process the income package.

Don;t ever rely on "well Amazon said the item was only £14.98 when I bought it so it's safe"...'cos it doesn;t work that way!

If you only paid $21 then the package was likely under the threshold when it was processed on entry into the UK. What has pushed you over is Etsy's mistake on the declaration. So you should be able to get you £6 in tax and your £8 admin fee back.

HMRC are good on refunds, but take ages, and you can;t get your refund from Royal Mail until after HMRC have sent you their letter saying there should have been no customs charges.
Old 29-12-2013, 14:26   #773
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Isn't that just a longer way of saying what Paul said two weeks ago?
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 18:59   #774
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think you have mis-read it.

Amazon correctly put the item value of $21.99 on and listed the shipping separately at $6.48 but Royal Mail declared the value to HMRCE as $28.47

Royal Mail combined the two amounts and declared that to customs, and that's why it got charged.

Amazon did nothing wrong. HMRCE simply charged what they believed was a chargeable amount declared by Royal Mail. Royal Mail simply cocked-up by declaring the incorrect value to HMRCE.

And now Royal Mail say there is nothing that can be done other than pay the fees, and go through the (long winded) procedure to reclaim them back.
Just having to go through this myself now, bluray was below threshold but they counted carriage as well so now have to post claim form off and wait 6-7 weeks to be resolved and refunded (HMRC claim they are still catching up from Xmas backlog)
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:07   #775
Paul Moran
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk View Post
... (HMRC claim they are still catching up from Xmas backlog)
A claim I submitted on 30 Dec 2013 was cleared on 20 Feb, and the refund PO was issued on 27 Feb. A lot quicker than my previous claim on 30 July 2013, which took almost 3 months!
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:00   #776
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Just had a silver envelope through from RM saying I've got a customs charge of £11. The package is some baby clothes sent as a present from my friend in New Zealand. I presume it's not been marked up properly his end - is it worth appealing it?
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40   #777
Guest 45362
Trusted User

I'd do it on principle but it;s a bit of a faff! Let me guess; they added the shipping charge to the goods value and put the total on the declaration rather than as separate items?

Or you bought them at a discount but they put the full RRP?

Those are the usual two culprits!

The bugger is that £8 of that is Royal Mail's "admin fee". Pffft.
Thanked once by:
rustybin (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 11:04   #778
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moran View Post
A claim I submitted on 30 Dec 2013 was cleared on 20 Feb, and the refund PO was issued on 27 Feb. A lot quicker than my previous claim on 30 July 2013, which took almost 3 months!
Just a letter from Border Force stating yes I was right, they were wrong and a money order for the refund will be processed in due course (does not stipulate how long this will take though).

Annoyingly in the same week they have done the same thing again on another Amazon order so have had to send another request for a second refund now. /sigh.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:34   #779
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Isn't it more the case that Amazon ****** up? Customs have charge or not based on what the Customs CN22 declaration says.

It's not their fault - or yours - if Amazon aren't putting the correct amounts on the value declaration.
Old 18-05-2014, 13:50   #780
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

2014 Rates