Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 13-09-2011, 11:16   #721
Jonny G
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post
Because most of the charge they are levvying on you is made up of their "admin fee" not the actual duty and VAT. Those are probably fairly small - most of the £20 and £25 charges is going to be made up of the fee they charge for processing import-charge-due items. This varies depending on who you use - for Royal Mail it is a flat fee of £8 per package. It's probably more like £12 for UPS.

The $40 shipping is, well, whatever they charge for shipping. Note that once goods value itself goes over the £18 limit, the shipping is added to the goods value and the whole becomes subject to duty and VAT...
In that case, I'd say I'm looking at a £12-13 admin fee on each package!!

The £18-20 in VAT is fair enough, I'd expected it to be around this. The fee for claiming for the VAT Man is insane! Looking at around 50% per package more than Royal Mail - but leaving no breakdown to explain anything is pretty bad too.

Last edited by Jonny G; 13-09-2011 at 11:22.
Jonny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:32   #722
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Yep, you probably are. The fee from Royal Mail is £8 (it used to be £4) and the charges by couriers are nearly always higher. It's a bugger that the fee is flat, so you get charged it even if the import taxes themselves are just a few pence!

In essence, UPS have already paid the tax on your behalf, their charge is the tax they need to recover from you, plus a fee for all the 'admin' that this has entailed.

It's poor that the bill isn't itemised though. If it was you'd have immediately seen where the problem was.
Guest 45362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:37   #723
Tob
Trusted User

I've heard that if you send them a cheque for the VAT, they have to release the package. You then send them a letter asking for an itemised breakdown of the admin fee before you pay it which usually leads to silence.

No idea if that works or is just a myth though. I'd like to try it one day though, the fee is utterly ridiculous.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 21:50   #724
Paul Moran
Trusted User

From the first post:

Quote:
UPS is £11or 2.5% (whichever is greater) UPS site in section marked "Disbursements" (Thanks to Chris for the info and smst for update 14/02/06).
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:03   #725
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Can I remind everyone that the personal import allowance changes from £18 to £15 come November 2011

So anything that enters the UK on or after 1/11/2011 will be assessed using the new threshold
Thanked 2 times by:
Guest 52145 (06-10-2011), Richie (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 15:55   #726
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob View Post
I've heard that if you send them a cheque for the VAT, they have to release the package. You then send them a letter asking for an itemised breakdown of the admin fee before you pay it which usually leads to silence.

No idea if that works or is just a myth though. I'd like to try it one day though, the fee is utterly ridiculous.
^Is that for Royal Mail or others like UPS etc?

I want to know how the Royal Mail "admin / handling fee" is legal. They even point blank refuse to give you a receipt for it when you collect in person. The fact that they won't release a parcel in person when you pay the VAT but refuse to pay their extortionate fee can't be legal. This fee means the customer nearly always has to go out of their way (time, fuel etc) to collect their own post and then get charged even more for it. HOW can this practice be stopped?
AND HOW is it legal to even charge VAT from people who are not themselves VAT registered? ie. the majority of customers.
Someone explain this to me please because this whole ILLEGAL practice is ******* me right off.

Last edited by Richie; 03-11-2011 at 16:03.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:03   #727
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
AND HOW is it legal to even charge VAT from people who are not themselves VAT registered? ie. the majority of customers.
Someone explain this to me please because this whole ILLEGAL practice is ******* me right off.
The postal carriers are not charging you VAT - they are collecting it on behalf of HMR&C.

Not sure what being VAT registered has to do with the price of eggs.

I do agree the admin fees Royal Mail charge is outrageous.
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:19   #728
Jonny G
Trusted User

I certainly think that the people like UPS that don't just charge a flat fee are robbing people. The Royal Mail charge is bad enough but the other courier companies charge even more and all the change in threshold is doing is driving their profits up.

I don't object to paying the VAT on something that I import. I do object to making a private company rich because the rules allow them to rip people off as long as the HMRC get's their 20%.

That said, the Royal Mail charging a stupid amount for a Saturday delivery after recovering the Customs charge is another tax I don't approve of. The guy in the van doesn't get paid anything more for working the saturday (most likely) so why must the public pay the extra?
Old 03-11-2011, 17:55   #729
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
The postal carriers are not charging you VAT - they are collecting it on behalf of HMR&C.
Yeah I realise that, but WHY does there need to be this middleman milking the recipient? Why can't HMRC not just attach an invoice to the packet or parcel and allow the recipient to pay the VAT online on receipt of the parcel? It is ludicrous to involve third parties when their only use is collecting their own "fees". The fact that Royal Mail nearly always requires you go and collect your own post is simply outrageous considering the extra money they make on each and every one of these parcels for doing NOTHING, they don't even deliver them FFS! And then always refusing to provide a proper receipt for the "fee" is simply out of order and smacks of something dodgy.

Quote:
Not sure what being VAT registered has to do with the price of eggs.
If you buy something from a company abroad that isn't UK VAT registered WHY is VAT charged at all? For example American online retailers, are they required to be VAT registered here?
From the HMRC website:
Quote:
VAT is a tax you pay when you buy goods or services from a VAT-registered business in the EU, including within the UK.
If say amazon.com is not VAT registered in the UK (and I don't know their status but why would they be?), how can anything from them be legally charged for? You are buying goods from outside the EU, how do the UK VAT rules apply to these parcels? It makes no sense at all and why do people just accept this? Oh yes, because they make it IMPOSSIBLE for you not to pay and charge you extra for the privilege! I just want to know if it's actually legal or not to charge VAT on these kinds of parcels.
Right, so using the example of amazon.com, seems they are required to be EU VAT registered http://aws.amazon.com/tax-help/ which is fine, so in that case I go back to my previous question: why can't HMRC simply attach an invoice to a packet and have the recipient pay the VAT online upon receipt? That would be a lot fairer, not interupt the delivery of parcels by Royal Mail and allow the recipient control of the payment.

BUT HMRC cannot legally invoice a non VAT registered individual for VAT, right? Can someone please clarify this point for me?!
If it's illegal for them to do that then why is it okay to be in collusion with Royal Mail etc to collect VAT that individuals do not legally have to pay? How is that okay with anyone? And that's before you add in the unfair associated fees on top of that.

Last edited by Richie; 03-11-2011 at 18:43.
Old 09-11-2011, 15:37   #730
Guest 22574
Roar!

should be allowed to pre pay the vat so it just flys through mount unpleasent and avoids the hidden charges.
Guest 22574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:52   #731
Tob
Trusted User

Got hit for a £12 admin fee on a $25 item from the US courtesy of Parcelfarce.

Utterly ridiculous. I have to write to them/HMRC as they've charged the incorrect rate of VAT anyway, so I'm going to ask for an itemised break down of the admin fee. £12 admin fee and they can't even calculate the VAT correctly? ********.

I'm wish some consumer group would pick up on these admin fees and do something about them, it's just daylight robbery.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:12   #732
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,253 Posts
send an email to Martin Lewis.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 13:46   #733
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Quote:
Yeah I realise that, but WHY does there need to be this middleman milking the recipient? Why can't HMRC not just attach an invoice to the packet or parcel and allow the recipient to pay the VAT online on receipt of the parcel? It is ludicrous to involve third parties when their only use is collecting their own "fees". The fact that Royal Mail nearly always requires you go and collect your own post is simply outrageous considering the extra money they make on each and every one of these parcels for doing NOTHING, they don't even deliver them FFS! And then always refusing to provide a proper receipt for the "fee" is simply out of order and smacks of something dodgy.
Because it would cost HMRC to directly charge the end customer, and on low value packages it would cost them far more in costs than the revenue raised. This is one of the reasons we have the tax-free threshold in the first place, although of course, it was set so long ago that it has little relevance. In order to exclude loss-making items, the limit should probably be around £100 or more. As you might expect, the nasy little protectionist EU, home of the overpriced almost everything, has amongst the lowest import allowances in the world.

In enlightened countries like Australia, the limit is over $1000, and they take the attitude that if the consumer is importing goods cheaper than they can be bought, domestic prices are too damn high

Likt it or not, Royal Mail has all the necessary apparatus in place for the charging regime, and the £8 is simply the fee for the service they provide.

Quote:
BUT HMRC cannot legally invoice a non VAT registered individual for VAT, right? Can someone please clarify this point for me?!
If it's illegal for them to do that then why is it okay to be in collusion with Royal Mail etc to collect VAT that individuals do not legally have to pay? How is that okay with anyone? And that's before you add in the unfair associated fees on top of that.
'cos it's the law that foreign imports potentially attract charges. All countries use this as a method of raising revenue, and to protect their domestic industries

Like it or not, personal imports from outside the EU are subject to VAT and duty. That's just how things are
Old 11-11-2011, 13:48   #734
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjm View Post
should be allowed to pre pay the vat so it just flys through mount unpleasent and avoids the hidden charges.
This is possible - Amazon.com offer a service where the customer to pre-pay import charges on high value orders to do just this.

However, I have never seen thre system actually offer the opportunity to do it, not even when I spent nearly $1000 a coupel of years ago on a splurge buying all of the Dark Shadows DVD sets when they were on special offer.
Old 11-11-2011, 13:57   #735
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
£8 is simply the fee for the service they provide.
If "service" equals doing nothing and includes charging the customer for the pleasure of collecting their own post instead of delivering it! Yeah, good value that.
Old 11-11-2011, 17:17   #736
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
send an email to Martin Lewis.
I would if I thought it would do any good, but there's prob not enough people to be affected by it.

The admin fee robbery is a ******* good racket for them.
Old 16-11-2011, 17:28   #737
Wezzo
Words like confetti

Quote:
This is possible - Amazon.com offer a service where the customer to pre-pay import charges on high value orders to do just this.

However, I have never seen thre system actually offer the opportunity to do it, not even when I spent nearly $1000 a coupel of years ago on a splurge buying all of the Dark Shadows DVD sets when they were on special offer.
You just have to select Expedited Int'l Shipping or Priority Int'l Courier (it's not an option, though - it's compulsory). I've done this dozens of times, often with DVDs.
Wezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 09:11   #738
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Ah, fair enough. I guess that makes sense, in that you're paying for a speedy delivery and paying the import charges upfront helps in that.

However, to utilise all of that must mean you have money to burn. I dread to think what the shipping costs would be

I prefer to wait the three or so weeks. And there's always a chance that stuff will go through uncharged
Old 19-11-2011, 10:35   #739
Wezzo
Words like confetti

Quote:
Ah, fair enough. I guess that makes sense, in that you're paying for a speedy delivery and paying the import charges upfront helps in that.

However, to utilise all of that must mean you have money to burn. I dread to think what the shipping costs would be

I prefer to wait the three or so weeks. And there's always a chance that stuff will go through uncharged
Expedited is actually only a few pounds more than Standard (though Priority Courier is pretty extortionate, and only worth it for >£100ish orders that are still small enough to be shipped using Amazon's standard customs-attracting methods.)
Wezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:06   #740
Brandt
Trusted User

Quote:
Can I remind everyone that the personal import allowance changes from £18 to £15 come November 2011

So anything that enters the UK on or after 1/11/2011 will be assessed using the new threshold
I'm glad you posted that mate I was just about to order a dvd from amazon marketplace for £17.95
Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote