Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2008, 13:18   #11
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
I've never been keen on Rear Window but, for me, Vertigo is Hitchcock's masterpiece. Maybe it's the difference between reality and fantasy. Is it true that people who love Rear Window dislike Vertigo and vice versa?
Vertigo is my all time favourite film, but that doesn't stop me in any way from loving Rear Window too. I don't understand how anybody could truly appreciate Hitchcock if they don't love both films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
Maybe there lies the problem. I never considered Novak a 'glacial' or any other kind of beauty - at least not in her youth. Curiously, she did acquire a modicum of poise and elegance in middle age.

Kim Novak was perfectly cast in Vertigo, one of the all time great meetings of actor and character. While not an actress of great range, she always had a slightly self-conscious, hesitant and insecure quality about her. When cast in the right part this meant she brought a touching vulnerability to her performances and never more so than in Vertigo. She just breaks my heart every time I watch the film. Criticising her for not being as attractive or poised as Grace Kelly is missing the point of her character:

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 08-09-2008 at 15:32.
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote