Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 07:38   #3261
Crawf
Trusted User

Location: The planet of the evil space monkey robot monsters.
Realised we now had subscriptions to everything so Netflix was the first for the chop, once you’ve seen the exclusives and watched all the filler you want over about a year then it’s a bit redundant.

I can see me having one streaming service at a time and changing every 6 months or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2021, 10:54   #3262
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

When you remember we used to pay up to £5 to rent a video, or a significant amount for 2 or 3 Sky movie channels - Netflix seems dirt cheap!
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
nutter45 (12-01-2021), shteve (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:57   #3263
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Been enjoying Alice in Borderland last few nights on Netflix. Well worth a try if you don't mind sub titled shows.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:12   #3264
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,072 Times in 455 Posts
The first episode of Lupin was good, same as above it has sub-titles. I'll add Alice in Borderland to my list.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:12   #3265
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Hate to say it but if you downgrade Netflix it’s not only the quality but the amount of screens and devices you can download to that gets reduced too. Not important to small households maybe but a consideration for some.

Premium: Watch on 4 screens at a time. Full HD (1080p) and Ultra HD (4K) available. Download videos on 4 phones or tablets.

Standard: Watch on 2 screens at a time. Full HD (1080p) available. Download videos on 2 phones or tablets.

Basic:Watch on 1 screen at a time in Standard Definition. Download videos on 1 phone or tablet.
Woz (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:24   #3266
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
The first episode of Lupin was good, same as above it has sub-titles. I'll add Alice in Borderland to my list.
I should have pointed out in my original post it's a bit gory at times.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:02   #3267
ajw000
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
Really enjoyed first few episodes of Lupin. Nice production values(with exception of the car crash in first ep!), and made me long to be in Paris again .

Watched all of AIB but lost interest after first half of season. Went from great premise to a bit teeny...

Spoiler for AIB:

Last edited by ajw000; 12-01-2021 at 12:05.
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:42   #3268
James45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
When you remember we used to pay up to £5 to rent a video, or a significant amount for 2 or 3 Sky movie channels - Netflix seems dirt cheap!
I've never bought into Sky (except Now TV which is the only channel that makes sense) but when you have a music streamer or two, plus Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix and occasionally rent a new release it starts to get silly.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 13:20   #3269
cliff homewood
Trusted User

For me Netflix is the best, if you like to see foreign telly, its got loads on there that I would never get to see otherwise and always new ones dropping. Recently for instance had sweet home recommended.

From what I've seen/heard of other streaming services they are nearly all full of mainstream stuff that I've most likely seen. Yep I only pay for Netflix and that's been worth the money, when I started 5 years ago it was daredevil, these days its been The Witcher, Tiger King, Queens Gambit, there's always a new hit around every 8 weeks
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 18:51   #3270
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
I know this maybe isn’t the place to justify one streaming service over another and as much as I don’t welcome the Netflix price increase, I think the one thing that service does best is offer a variety of content from all creators and areas of the world. They also seem to have a knack ‘or the money’ of creating buzz with their content, something that Amazon Prime, IMO, lacks.

Would the Queens Gambit be as lauded on the socials and had as much marketing if it was on Amazon Prime?

I have no doubts half of these films will be duds but the names are there, the buzz is being generated and I’ll probably tune in to a lot of them.

Edit; why is it so cumbersome to post YouTube videos on an iPad?

Last edited by Robby; 12-01-2021 at 18:55.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:06   #3271
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Yup, and this is the same old argument that justifies every conceivable price hike and the inevitable reduction of value for the consumer. It’s also a false equivalence, because there will always be the haves who have more money than sense and would have Sky Movies back in the day - and that's before you get into the general lack of accessibility for films back then - but the £5 rental thing? Back when Blockbuster went under we were renting films we’d already decided that we want to watch, not paying £14 a month for access to a database of hundreds of films the majority of which we’ve already seen or have no interest in ever seeing.

We’re already at the stage where if you want access to all the top films and shows then you need at least three subscriptions: Netflix, Amazon, Disney, maybe even Apple for four. If all three were to keep prices low (even if through long term subscriptions like amazon and disney do currently) then having a broad database that serves all needs is affordable. If one company gets greedy like Netflix, then the rivals follow suit and it becomes a bad situation for the discerning consumer.

Netflix is great if all you wanna do is come home from work and slap a film or show on, not caring what it is so long as it’s current and “looks good” or its generated some buzz wthin your sphere of awareness, but if you’re an enthusiast its film database is incredibly anaemic, and its show database will keep you busy for a few months before you’re on the drip feed waiting for new shows or seasons (many of which will never come because Netflix love creating shows and cancelling them within two seasons once they've had a boost of subscribers from the hype machine).

This is very similar to the games industry. Ten years ago or more you’d pay £40 for the latest game and get to play 100% of it. Today that same game can cost up to £60+ with 20% of the game reserved for the DLC campaign costing you another £40. Why? Because “when you think about it, i pay £15 for one film so £40 and more for a game that will last me 100hrs is basically dirt cheap!”

Last edited by Shingster; 12-01-2021 at 22:28.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Goooner1 (12-01-2021)
Old 13-01-2021, 13:43   #3272
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Was jusrt saying to my friends yesterday in the old days we have the Fox effect. You'd like a show but it would get cancelled after one season. These days, and Netflix is definitely a prime candidate for this, you like a show but then the showrunner leaves citing creative differences and another one takes over and the show you loved carries on but is turned to crap. You can see it happening with Star Trek Discovery at the moment where the showrunner Bryan Fuller left mid second season. Also happened with Altered Carbon, which I also gave up on in the second season as it was now a dumbed down shadow of its former self.

Although it doesn't just happen on Netflix, just watched Carnival Row on Prime, which I really enjoyed, the creator had a 4 year master plan, but its been announced he has left due to creative differences so new team when it comes back for the second season. Fingers crossed its still good...
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 13:47   #3273
zantarous

IIRC Fuller left before the pilot even aired, DISCO had a further 2 show runners in S1 and S2. Also should be noted the production of Discovery has nothing to do with Netflix they are just a distributor.
Old 13-01-2021, 13:59   #3274
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I thought that S3 of Discovery was better than 1 and 2, though that may have been me going in with lowered expectations. With Fox shows, yes, we soon learnt to not get invested in anything which hadn't been renewed for S2. That may have even led to more cancellations.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:16   #3275
zantarous

I started watching The Roman Empire yesterday on Netflix, it's a kind of documentary with actual dramatisation . I can see from reviews on IMDB and Reddit it's not very accurate but heck is incredibly entertaining.

It's actually got me really interested in wanting to find out more about the Roman Empire and am now looking up some books.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:26   #3276
nutter45
burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I started watching The Roman Empire yesterday on Netflix, it's a kind of documentary with actual dramatisation . I can see from reviews on IMDB and Reddit it's not very accurate but heck is incredibly entertaining.

It's actually got me really interested in wanting to find out more about the Roman Empire and am now looking up some books.

SPQR by Mary Beard is excellent
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
zantarous (13-01-2021)
Old 13-01-2021, 15:30   #3277
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

For some good Roman Empire book fiction, try the Eagles of the Empire series by Simon Scarrow.

I think I saw those Roman Empire dramatisations on History, they did a few in the same style from different eras.
zantarous (13-01-2021)
Old 13-01-2021, 15:51   #3278
zantarous

I was planning to start with the Seven Ceasers, anyone read that?
Old 13-01-2021, 17:28   #3279
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post

Dig out the HBO series Rome if you've not seen it before. It's on Blu-Ray boxset. There's two seasons and it's a whole story. It rocks!
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 19:09   #3280
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Was jusrt saying to my friends yesterday in the old days we have the Fox effect. You'd like a show but it would get cancelled after one season. These days, and Netflix is definitely a prime candidate for this, you like a show but then the showrunner leaves citing creative differences and another one takes over and the show you loved carries on but is turned to crap. You can see it happening with Star Trek Discovery at the moment where the showrunner Bryan Fuller left mid second season. Also happened with Altered Carbon, which I also gave up on in the second season as it was now a dumbed down shadow of its former self.

Although it doesn't just happen on Netflix, just watched Carnival Row on Prime, which I really enjoyed, the creator had a 4 year master plan, but its been announced he has left due to creative differences so new team when it comes back for the second season. Fingers crossed its still good...
TBF Netflix doesn't have a record of having issues with its showrunners, amazon prime are more guilty of that imo as you've already stated with Carnival Row, plus David E Kelley couldn't get along with them and that affected Goliath. As previously mentioned Bryan Fuller left Discovery long before it aired and only disparate elements of his vision for the show actually made it into the final product. Could you be getting it mixed up with American Gods? Starz booted him and Michael Green during season 2 of that show.

Last edited by Shingster; 13-01-2021 at 19:13.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote