Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 30-12-2008, 18:48   #1
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
Exclamation Screeners / Pirate copies

We've seen a number of users post recently commenting on films that have yet to be released and often clearly referencing screeners and pirates. As such I am posting one warning now and if there are ANY more allusions to illegitimate copies of films in this area the poster will receive an instant one week exclusion from this area of the site.

If you have seen a film through non-legitimate means - especially one that has not been publically shown (including press screenings etc) then please just refrain from posting about it.

This rule is not open to for discussion.

If any studio decides they want to make an example of a site for this sort of discussion, it wouldn't take much effort on their part no matter how baseless their accusations are. We've already had threats of termination of our hosting based on issues relating to the Indiana Jones film earlier this year and that was entirely baseless - yet it seems hosts are more than happy to pull the plug on legitimate sites with no evidence on the request of studio lawyers so please DON'T risk this happening here.
Old 30-12-2008, 18:58   #2
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quite right. So to be clear, is it a similar situation as for TV shows, once they have had a UK or US release they are fine to discuss?

Last edited by LouBarlow; 30-12-2008 at 18:58.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 19:01   #3
magneticman
Trusted User

I completely agree with this in regards to movies - but surely we can discuss the TV shows?
magneticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 19:02   #4
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Just another question, is the same thing going to apply to games/music?
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 19:42   #5
statto
Jedi Master

Is it OK for those who've genuinely seen the stuff (ie those who've been to press screenings and/or sent legitimate screeners)?
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 19:57   #6
Werdna007
Trusted User

A very valid and sensitive point.

Concerning American TV shows, it is rather suspicious when people whose "location" is obviously the U.K. discuss a U.S. TV show/episode only a few hours after it has been shown exclusively over there. Makes one wonder if all those people have had a legitimate access to said transmission.

A very delicate area as said.

Last edited by Werdna007; 30-12-2008 at 20:02.
Werdna007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 20:51   #7
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Quite right. So to be clear, is it a similar situation as for TV shows, once they have had a UK or US release they are fine to discuss?
Yes, pretty much exactly the same. As long as there has been a press screening in either country then I guess films are open to discussion. If films ARE obtained from a dodgy source then this must not be mentioned, alluded to or discussed in any way.
Old 30-12-2008, 20:52   #8
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Just another question, is the same thing going to apply to games/music?
If it becomes and issue then yes.
Old 30-12-2008, 20:52   #9
Guest 50304
Trusted User

for too long there has been discussion on films, tv series etc, that has not been relased / shown in the uk or other illegal content. I feel the mods have a hard job trying to moderate this.
Guest 50304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 20:54   #10
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdna007 View Post
A very valid and sensitive point.

Concerning American TV shows, it is rather suspicious when people whose "location" is obviously the U.K. discuss a U.S. TV show/episode only a few hours after it has been shown exclusively over there. Makes one wonder if all those people have had a legitimate access to said transmission.

A very delicate area as said.
There's no way we can police this - it's possible, if unlikely, that people may be UK citizens but might catch an episode on holiday or whatever. As we can't stop discussion in these circumstances our policy is that we're as trusting as possible that people have watched something by legitimate means - if they haven't then it must NOT be mentioned here. If they mention it then they're breaking the T&Cs. If a TV show, movie, game or album has been legitimately released, broadcast or is available in some way from the UK, US or any other major European country or Australia then we'll allow discussion. If it hasn't been legitimately released in some way then it's out of bounds to discuss specific viewings.

We know what to look for - if someone says that something is 'available from the usual places' then this is against the rules.

What we don't want to do is stiffle legitimate discussion so pre-release chat is acceptable for everything, but if you've seen / played / listened to something that hasn't officially sanctioned in some way then just don't say so here.
Old 30-12-2008, 21:07   #11
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,396 Times in 736 Posts
Totally agree about the films. Most of the time it's fairly clear cut. I remember the Mist thread here was massive, yet the film hadn't come out in the UK yet and wasn't available on DVD in the US for several months.
TV is interesting though. Putting the torrents and P2P aside.... I don't know if anyone listens to No Agenda podcast with John Dovark and Adam Curry... but they've setup a sling box on their respective TV's (Adam lives in the UK and John in the US), then they swap sling box ID's to stream each other's live TV. Apparently it's quite common for international people's to do this... sling box doesn't get legal troubles for it's re-streaming technology.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 22:12   #12
DM
Self Abuser

Personally, I think you may have made a rod here. Everyone is going to be pointing fingers/reporting and anyone lucky enough to have seen previews is going to be put off posting early opinions/reviews. May not be a good thing for the site but I understand the legal aspect of it.

Last edited by DM; 30-12-2008 at 22:14.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 22:39   #13
splobber
Administrator

Well to save any confusion we can just put a blanket ban on it all if it comes to it. Whilst you are going to have legitimate previews that people are privy to, I dare say the majority of people posting aren't. It's those people that are causing the problem, not our decision to protect the forums from fending off aggrieved film studios because some members can't help themselves.

We'll now get the "what if I got the music download early off a cornflake packet promotion" and other equally silly posts as well as the usual drama that often follows on after what we see as a very clear cut instruction.

All we are asking for is the members to show a bit of common sense.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 22:54   #14
Space Duck
Trusted User

To be honest I think for those of use who attend festivals like Frightfest where you can see films months in advance... people like Mr Fink and Myself usually post about the event and then in the film post we put where we've seen it...

ala Inside... oh what a film *saunters off to watch it, all alone*
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 23:03   #15
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

It's pretty easy to tell from reading a post whether someone saw something legitimately - so if the poster themselves can't tell they might consider buying something to increase their IQ!
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 23:03   #16
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
I remember the Mist thread here was massive, yet the film hadn't come out in the UK yet and wasn't available on DVD in the US for several months.
That's becasue I started it back in 2005
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 00:08   #17
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
...if you've seen / played / listened to something that hasn't officially sanctioned in some way then just don't say so here.
I think that's about as simple and direct as you could put it and I completely agree with this. If you have seen something from a norty source, then don't bloody mention it and then nobody's in a position of getting in trouble.

I remember the dubious fiasco with the Indy thread and can certainly see what fragile ground we're treading here. Think I speak for many here when I say that I'd absolutely hate to see the forums get in trouble over simple lack of common sense.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 00:33   #18
splobber
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
I think that's about as simple and direct as you could put it and I completely agree with this. If you have seen something from a norty source, then don't bloody mention it and then nobody's in a position of getting in trouble.

I remember the dubious fiasco with the Indy thread and can certainly see what fragile ground we're treading here. Think I speak for many here when I say that I'd absolutely hate to see the forums get in trouble over simple lack of common sense.
Unfortunately not everyone can grasp this and feel they are having their human rights infringed upon and will stick it to "The Man". We've seen it time and time again.

OK, it's a small minority of members who cause the problems (although a vocal majority) but enough to upset the equilibrium so we end up having to tighten the rules when people don't/won't/can't play fairly.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 07:01   #19
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I think the TV forum is an example of how the rules can work well, despite it obviously being the most 'piracy-laden' forum here.

It is obvious that people are not jetting over to the US to watch episodes of 24, but everyone respects that threads aren't started until a show is broadcast....somewhere.

The music forum wouldn't be as easy to moderate this way, as legitimate promos are circulated, sometimes months before an album is released, as I'm sure Johnny Vinegar-Strokes can confirm. Hell I've even bought a few in my time. Proper record shops still sell them, though they aren't supposed to.

The film forum should be easier to control though as press-screenings/previews aside, screeners rarely, legitimately, end up in the hands of the general public.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:00   #20
James45
Trusted User

Totally agree with it, but would be interested to know if Colin has taken any legal advice to prevent the Indiana Jones thing happening again, finding a host with some spine would be a good start... is there such a thing?
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote