Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 05-06-2006, 16:40   #21
Guest 155
Trusted User

The ONLY circumstances in which I'd approve of colourisation, is if it's for restoration purposes - if something was made in colour but only exists in black and white. That mostly applies to junked TV programmes from the late 60s/early 70s, but I think that there are some old colour films that only exist(ed) in b&w prints - the 30s Dr X was one of them for years and may still be.

Otherwise, black and white was the way it was made and the argument that it would doubtless be made in colour nowadays doesn't hold water - it wasn't made nowadays and the makers made the best use of what was available at the time, and in many cases actively chose to shoot in monochrome. Besides, I've seen plenty of modern films that clearly would like to be in black and white - Pierrepoint was one such, so desaturated that it might just as well have been black and white, and would probably have been better off that way.

Last edited by Gary Couzens; 05-06-2006 at 16:41.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 16:53   #22
anephric
Kidney Thief

Badham's Dracula is another, the horrific desaturation job that's been inflicted on it postpartum fair ruining it on laserdisc and DVD...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 18:13   #23
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Probably more suited to the Classic forum since we'll be discussing pre 1980 films
Old 05-06-2006, 19:45   #24
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Mind, i've got the colour versions of 'Bewitched' and they're not too bad. And its easy to make them go B&W again.

*twitches nose*
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 21:22   #25
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Er, none.

Next.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 21:34   #26
djjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW
Mind, i've got the colour versions of 'Bewitched' and they're not too bad. And its easy to make them go B&W again.

*twitches nose*
I brought these too, because I had only ever seen the colourised versions on Channel 4 and seeing anything else wouldn't seem right. If anything the colourisation adds to the 60's kitch-ness of it. I'd never even consider buying a colourised classic film though. Double standards perhaps I know...
djjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04   #27
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW

*twitches nose*
I am not so hot on "Bewitched" even though this was the first of the two. I like "I Dream of Jeannie" better and have not yet made up my mind whether to buy the colourised version or original b/w set of the opening season.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:27   #28
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjr
I brought these too, because I had only ever seen the colourised versions on Channel 4 and seeing anything else wouldn't seem right. If anything the colourisation adds to the 60's kitch-ness of it. I'd never even consider buying a colourised classic film though. Double standards perhaps I know...
Yeah, it does add to the Kitch effect, but there's one scene that spoiled it for me. In Season One, Samantha is shown watching TV and they've 'colorized' the TV she is watching which suddenly looks ridiculous as it should be a B&W set. Weird, huh?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:34   #29
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW
Yeah, it does add to the Kitch effect, but there's one scene that spoiled it for me. In Season One, Samantha is shown watching TV and they've 'colorized' the TV she is watching which suddenly looks ridiculous as it should be a B&W set. Weird, huh?
You forget who Samantha is. She does not need a computer or any other gizmo to colorise a TV! All she needs to do is twitch her nose.....
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:37   #30
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore
You forget who Samantha is. She does not need a computer or any other gizmo to colorise a TV! All she needs to do is twitch her nose.....
Old 06-06-2006, 16:11   #31
Guest 33073
Trusted User

my reply would be NONE.
if it was made n b/w let it stay that way.
i got the laurel and hardy dvd colour releases completly rubbish.
glorious black and white .as they all say on the release adverts in america. leave it that way.just my 2cents worth lads
Guest 33073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 20:01   #32
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Funnily enough, Laural and Hardy is completely unfunny in 'color'.
Old 06-06-2006, 20:08   #33
Guest 55583
Trusted User

I was totally against colorization of black and white... until I saw "Bewitched". They did a fantastic job and the black and white versions used in the accompanying 'Making of' just look plain dull by comparison.

I had some friends over who'd bought the B&W version as they are very anti colorisation and they admitted that they wouldn't have known the series hadn't originally been made in colour. The only thing commented on was Samantha's green eyes which looked odd. Two minutes later Darren actually talked about her "green eyes" and the doubters were totally convinced.
Guest 55583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 20:22   #34
Guest 33073
Trusted User

shirley temple coulourized dvds some of them were done really well, i got a kid who would of never watched them in the origanal version,
but now she loves them.
Guest 33073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 21:39   #35
Guest 993
Trusted User

None. Simple as that.

Arguably the same should be said of mono films remixed into DTS 5.1 whizz bang surround (though admitted it's done tastefully with the Kubrick films, at least those by Warner).

And as for suggesting colourisation of Raging Bull, shame on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
The ONLY circumstances in which I'd approve of colourisation, is if it's for restoration purposes - if something was made in colour but only exists in black and white. That mostly applies to junked TV programmes from the late 60s/early 70s
e.g. Doctor Who. Still a bunch of colour episodes from the 70s which only survive in Black&White. Mind you there are still loads missing B&W ones entirely thanks to the policy of wiping the tapes in those days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeka
Ah, Lucas.. always at the forefront of ruining classic films.
Bizarre especially as from his own mouth...

“I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them. — George Lucas, speaking out against the colorization of black and white films “
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:07   #36
Guest 55011
Trusted User

Not only am I hoping that when Abel Gance's Napoleon receives its R1 release it will be saved from dreadful monochrome by a new resplendent colour transfer, but that it will also be pan and scanned so I can better view it on my 14" 4:3 monitor and with a magnificent new score by the only person I feel is capable of fully realising the intricacies of the film in an aural accompaniment, 50-Cent.

Last edited by Dave Lawrence; 06-06-2006 at 22:13.
Guest 55011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:16   #37
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Not really an old b/w film, but...

The Man Who Wasn't There was filmed in high contrast colour, and then desaturated for the final release.

Would be interesting from a purely technical perspective to see the colour version - IIRC there's a DVD release that includes it...
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:04   #38
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lawrence
a magnificent new score by the only person I feel is capable of fully realising the intricacies of the film in an aural accompaniment, 50-Cent.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34   #39
Guest 993
Trusted User

Actually I can think of one possible exception and that's the black & white sequence in Kill Bill.

That depends if what I've read is true, which is that it was essentially made B&W to tone down the violence for western audiences, whereas in far eastern markets it was shown in colour.

i.e. if it was made B&W for censorship purposes I would like it in colour. If however it was for artistic reasons then B&W. Not sure where I stand if it was done for artistic reasons but based on different artistic views of the audience depending where you live. That kind of thing bugs me (like using different voice actors for cartoon films like Shrek depending on where you live because they might be more recognisable, and other similar regional differences). It makes it difficult to really say what is "original".
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48   #40
SIMON ADEBISI

Ever seen the colourised version of Night Of The Living Dead? So damn bad its shocking. Makes the film totally unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
Actually I can think of one possible exception and that's the black & white sequence in Kill Bill.

That depends if what I've read is true, which is that it was essentially made B&W to tone down the violence for western audiences, whereas in far eastern markets it was shown in colour.
The Japanese R2 is in full colour. Doesn't make much difference.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote