Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 09-12-2004, 20:45   #41
Guest 325
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I will beg to differ and say that "L'Avventura" is still one of the greatest films ever made.
I'd have to agree Mike, it's a stunning film and would feature in my top 5 of all time. Mind you, you need to be in a certain frame of mind to get the most out of the film. The word "sublime" comes to mind when I think of L'Avventura.
Guest 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 20:56   #42
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Possibly Kathryn Bigelow's "Strange Days" - a film I adore but which seems to get short shrift from most quarters.
It's just Brainstorm with a rape scene, isn't it? Admittedly, it looks gorgeous, and the Millennium celebration at the end is well orchestrated, but I found thematically it was rather old hat...

Hackneyed traitorous best mate/Tom Sizemore in bad wig conspiracy plot as well.

Fiennes was good tho. And Bassett. Didn't think much of the rest. It was just too derivative... of William Gibson, of Phillip K. Dick... but done badly.

Hmph. I admit I was rabidly looking forward to this when it came out as I am a bit of a Bigelow (and Doors) fan but I was disappointed... and I've watched it since and never had my opinion ameliorated.

Soz.
Old 09-12-2004, 22:24   #43
thescrounger
Trusted User

I was hoping Criterion would be releasing Bullseye next year.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 00:17   #44
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

It's about fifty times better than the atrocious "Brainstorm". I'd prefer to think of it as "Brainstorm" done right, with gloriously intense visuals and intelligent, quirky characterisation of the leads. I agree about the Tom Sizemore thing and the plot is generally rather silly but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the film one bit. In fact, it's among my favourite films of the nineties and it looks better every time I watch it.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 00:36   #45
anephric
Kidney Thief

I quite like Brainstorm, but I realise I'm in a minority.

I'd only say Brainstorm was about three times as good as Strange Days, so your ratio outdoes mine ergo you win.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:08   #46
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Well I win anyway because I'm older and a lot lot cleverer than you are. And you're a girl. So there !!!

(On a serious note, I'm not sure what there is to like about Brainstorm other than Christopher Walken, who looks rather bored throughout. Douglas Trumbull couldn't direct traffic. I don't like that pile of illogical eco-nonsense Silent Running either, which is a slightly more controversial opinion.)
Old 10-12-2004, 09:15   #47
anephric
Kidney Thief

It is incoherent but I like the seed of the idea in Rubin's script... the film may not do it justice and get mired in silly Disney notions of Heaven a la The Black Hole but it's an intriguing idea, nonetheless... I don't think Strange Days does the idea (of experiencing other's emotions, memories etc) justice either: it's just backplot for the slightly lame conspiracy gubbins that Cameron throws in.

I thought Louise Fletcher was pretty damn good in Brainstorm, btw, (especially as she nears her demise) and I always like seeing Cliff Robertson. The "toxic" Brainstorm sequences are also very effective (if trimmed down from their unpleasant original form), and I've liked to have seen this in the way Trumbull intended (with it going into 70mm from 35mm theatrically for the Brainstorm bits - obviously, this wasn't very practical).

The film is tarnished with the tragedy that surrounded it etc but I don't think it a bad movie: it has a lot of potential... and it can be quite dark (the "toxic" sequences, the guy that gets addicted to the orgasm tape).

There's also one sequence which is very good and saves a lot of the movie, imho: when Walken makes the tape of all his best memories of his and Wood's marriage... call me a mawkish spongecake but I found this quite moving... especially the bit where he takes her to Kill Devil Hill and recreates the Wright Bros first flight (in words) for her...

All good stuff

I dislike Silent Running too, btw: homicidal hippie guff. With sickeningly cute robots. Trumbull, I blame you for R2D2.

Last edited by anephric; 10-12-2004 at 11:14.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:53   #48
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I always thought Bruce Dern tried to subvert the whole 'hippy-trippy' thing slightly by making Lowell seriously deranged; I mean, this maniac is no peace loving eco-warrior, he's off his chump.

But I do want to strangle Joan Baez with her own guitar strings; I really do...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 13:01   #49
anephric
Kidney Thief

I've always thought the film endorsed Dern's "necessary" killing; he's making a righteous stand, something that necessitates murder. I don't think it's too critical of his methods, and although he's troubled by them "slightly", it doesn't seem to bother him that much... he's saved the flora, after all...

And he pays the price, eventually.

As a film, it looks nice, though. And is very impressive technically. As it should be, given Trumbull's input.

Last edited by anephric; 18-12-2004 at 13:22.
Old 18-12-2004, 13:18   #50
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

From the Criterion website:

Criterion to Release Antonioni's L'eclisse

Michelangelo Antonioni's classic examination of modern alienation, L'eclisse, will be released by Criterion in early 2005. The two-disc special edition will feature a new transfer from restored film elements, as well as a number of supplemental features, including audio commentary by film scholar Richard Peña, a 56-minute documentary exploring the director’s life and career, an exclusive new video piece featuring Italian film critic Adriano Apra and longtime Antonioni friend Carlo di Carlo, and more. Look for L’eclisse this March!
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 20:01   #51
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

The March releases have now been announced and it's looking like it's going to be another great month for the CC:

The River (Renoir, 1951)

The Sword of Doom (Okamoto, 1966)

Young Törless (Schlöndorff, 1966)

L'Eclisse (Antonioni, 1962)

Jules et Jim (Truffaut, 1962) - 2 Disc
Guest 25297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 20:21   #52
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

... and apparently official, but yet to be announced (April release perhaps)

Wajda boxset:
A Generation
Kanal
Ashes and Diamonds

(source: Narshty at the Criterionforums)

Last edited by Puhkipsy; 22-12-2004 at 20:24.
Old 22-12-2004, 20:30   #53
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Good news on the Wajda.

Wonder if it would be too much to ask for Criterion to get hold of "The African Queen"...
Old 22-12-2004, 20:38   #54
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

Well "The African Queen" is a title Fox seem to own ... so there could be a bit of room for negotiation. You never know
Old 22-12-2004, 21:03   #55
Guest 4576
Trusted User

Specs for the Wajda are now up: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=282
Guest 4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 21:55   #56
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

Blimey, that is one big slate of releases for a single month. To think, there was once a time when they'd only put out two a month ... and nothing in December.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:02   #57
Guest 43314
Trusted User

Pushing this thread in a slightly different direction, I wish Criterion would release Cronenberg's Crash. They've been doing a great job with Cronenberg movies (Naked Lunch, Videodrome) and since I must admit my bias (Crash is my favorite Cronenberg film) I want Crash too.

Of course, they did a laserdisc of this title, so I hold out hope.
Guest 43314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:48   #58
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

Crash could well be on the way thanks to the deal with New Line. Also, Image are telling all enquirers on the DVD release to contact Criterion (source:criterionforum.org)
Old 03-01-2005, 19:42   #59
Guest 38857
Wallflower

Interesting to see Jean Renoir's The River on that list because I recorded it on Christmas Eve when Artsworld was having its freeview. I haven't bothered watching it yet, but now I know it's worthy of the Criterion treatment, I better get to it.
Guest 38857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 20:12   #60
Guest 25476
Person A Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha
Interesting to see Jean Renoir's The River on that list because I recorded it on Christmas Eve when Artsworld was having its freeview. I haven't bothered watching it yet, but now I know it's worthy of the Criterion treatment, I better get to it.
The River is probably my favourite Renoir - a staggeringly beautiful film.

I was surprised as anybody that Criterion are doing the treatment on this film as it is one of his least known (and appreciated IMO).
Guest 25476 is offline   Reply With Quote