Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 19-11-2004, 22:36   #21
Guest 4779
sweet & sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lontano
intolerable cruelty is the best thing the coen brothers have done, fargo notwithstanding, but then i'm not a massive fan

antonioni's the eclipse is one of my most wanted films, looking forward to the river too
I found Intolerable Cruelty very mediocre and a partial let down in the Coen Brothers catalogue.

Would love a Special Edition of ''Raising Arizona''.
If any a film could benefit from a makeover then that's the chap.

Anyone know if Antonioni's ''Red Desert'' is available? Never seen it myself but friends say it's worth hunting down. The late, great Richard Harris stars.
Guest 4779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 22:58   #22
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Whats it like? I'm really looking forward to getting this (the family may get it for me, for christmas.) Looking forward to see the TV cut and the Bergman making of doco.

Only watched the theatrical version so far and it looked gorgeous. The whole package is a thing of wonder. I'm more familiar with the TV version and have to say that I think I preferred the shorter film, but that's maybe because it's new to me.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 00:10   #23
Guest 40950

the r1 of il deserto rosso is oop but it's fairly crappy anyway
Guest 40950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 00:41   #24

"The last Criterion I bought was The Leopard. Excellent film and a brilliant presentation by Criterion. I must need help but even though I know a disc that is supposedly superior to a criterion (ala BFI's version) I'll always go for Criterion ":[QUOTE from Tony Soprano]

Why is the BFI version better than the Criterion, it would be hard to beat that immaculate 3 disc release with the single disc that BFI put out. I would like to hear why it's better because I'm looking for a reason to buy it

Last edited by jordanash; 20-11-2004 at 00:45.
Old 20-11-2004, 11:49   #25
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Why is the BFI version better than the Criterion, it would be hard to beat that immaculate 3 disc release with the single disc that BFI put out. I would like to hear why it's better because I'm looking for a reason to buy it [/QUOTE]

Sorry, didnt mean to imply that the BFI version is better (because it isn't, the transfer is suposedly supervised by the dp for the film, Giuseppe Rotunno but is presented in 2.2:35 unlike the Criterion which is presented in the correct (according to the dp) ratio of 2.2:1 (Super Technirama).) There was quite a big discussion about it on the Criterion Forums before they lost their threads. I totally recomend this edition over the BFI, The AV is incredible, the extras are fantastic and its a brilliant film overall.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 11:52   #26
Guest 40149
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvert11
Anyone know if Antonioni's ''Red Desert'' is available? Never seen it myself but friends say it's worth hunting down. The late, great Richard Harris stars.
It has been recently released by Cinema Forever here in Italy: pricey as usual but good a/v quality. Italian subs only, I'm afraid.
Guest 40149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 12:06   #27
Guest 40149
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano

Sorry, didnt mean to imply that the BFI version is better (because it isn't, the transfer is suposedly supervised by the dp for the film, Giuseppe Rotunno but is presented in 2.2:35 unlike the Criterion which is presented in the correct (according to the dp) ratio of 2.2:1 (Super Technirama).) There was quite a big discussion about it on the Criterion Forums before they lost their threads. I totally recomend this edition over the BFI, The AV is incredible, the extras are fantastic and its a brilliant film overall.
I believe the discussion was about Criterion vs. Medusa/Cinema Forever, the Italian release. You can read about it on DVD Beaver.
AFAIK the BFI release uses the same master as the Criterion edition, see DVD Beaver again.
Guest 40149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 12:15   #28
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Whoops, my bad sorry But the Criterion version is still the one to get

Last edited by Tony Soprano; 20-11-2004 at 12:16.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 19:40   #29
Guest 4252

The Eclipse at last! Now I can stop worrying about whether I should buy the Italian edition without English subs.
Guest 4252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 20:26   #30
Guest 18771
Bring my shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweefan
And still we await Michael Powell's "Tales of Hoffmann". That is one Criterion that has been proposed for such a long time, even being listed in an earlier catalogue, but still not eventuating. Can't wait to see Renoir's "The River" tho. That is certainly good news.
Don't forget that there is a DVD of Tales of Hoffmann for sale at Amazon.co.jp: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...701842-1881861

The picture quality is acceptable and the sound is what you'd expect for a film over fifty years old. Apparently, the sound was not that good when the film was made anyway. Its well worth a purchase until Criterion do their thang.
Guest 18771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 09:34   #31
Guest 45586
Trusted User

The only Antonioni movie that is currently worth watching is La Notte, a world class masterwork. All the rest - Avventura, Eclipse and (especially) Red Desert (I have them on VHS) are just terrible nowadays - ponderous and mannered in the extreme. Blowup hasn't aged well, either, and the scene between Hemmings and Redgrave must be the cringiest moment in the history of the cinema. Haven't seen The Passenger for yonks.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 10:41   #32
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I will beg to differ and say that "L'Avventura" is still one of the greatest films ever made.
Old 24-11-2004, 18:10   #33
Guest 24708
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
From Anthony at the HTF:
Michael Powell's 49TH PARALLEL and A CANTERBURY TALE are in the works.
That's excellent news. I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for someone to release 49TH PARALLEL. It's a superb mix of wartime propaganda and thriller, as good in its own way as Hitchcock's 'Foreign Correspondent'. Now I find out that not only is it coming but it's coming from Criterion.
Guest 24708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 19:12   #34
Guest 28243
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird
I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for someone to release 49TH PARALLEL. It's a superb mix of wartime propaganda and thriller, as good in its own way as Hitchcock's 'Foreign Correspondent'. Now I find out that not only is it coming but it's coming from Criterion.
It's also been available in the UK on Carlton's budget label for over two years.
Guest 28243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 12:52   #35
Guest 40223
Trusted User

While everyone's whittering on about Criterion, does anyone know if they are likely to be re-releasing any of the out of print stuff in the near future. I'm thinking of Hitchcock films here, as I've been waiting to get my grubby little paws on these for a while.

Guest 40223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 13:04   #36
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Criterion's rights have expired on the OOP Hitchcock titles; MGM is supposed to be releasing them in a Hitch box set - The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, The Paradine Case, Rebecca, Sabotage, Spellbound, The Thirty-Nine Steps and Young & Innocent.. It was scheduled for this year, but now they are saying sometime in 2005.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 14:13   #37
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Over at DVD Talk, Glenn Erikson has added to the Criterion speculation by saying:

"Heard a hopeful rumor about Criterion. Among the films proposed for the Criterion treatment in 2005 are the Fitzcarraldo doc Burden of Dreams and Powell and Pressburger's A Cantebury Tale. "
Old 07-12-2004, 15:11   #38
Snuffy
Shirker not lurker

This little article from the Chicago Tribune

Criterion picks up the pace
Its latest array of DVDs don't compromise quality

By Joshua Klein
Special to the Tribune
Published November 30, 2004

No one could accuse Criterion of resting on its laurels. Even as 2004 winds to a close, the company continues to release an amazing array of eclectic and immaculately produced DVDs.

Recently, Criterion released Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" (Criterion, 1993, 183 minutes, R, $39.95), considered by many the last major work of the director still unreleased on DVD. The same day, Criterion released a boxed set of Ingmar Bergman's late period masterpiece "Fanny & Alexander" (Criterion, 1984, 610 minutes, NR, $59.95) that included the 2 1/2-hour U.S. theatrical version, the original 5-hour Swedish television version and a 2-hour documentary about the making of the autobiographical film. Next week gets a new edition of Fritz Lang's iconic "M," and coming in January is Akira Kurosawa's "Kagemusha," among other winter titles.

Criterion is releasing more DVDs than ever, but if anyone thinks the company is in danger of depleting its vast catalog of classic cinema, think again.

"Our release schedule has increased," notes Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson. "It's somewhere above 40 titles per year. But that's just 40 titles, not 400 titles, and when you're selecting only 40 titles, you can't release 12 Kurosawa films a year. So how do you deal with the library? It's a question we ask ourselves all the time, but it's a good problem to have."

Still independent, Criterion sometimes (albeit rarely) teams with one of the major Hollywood studios, and the occasional commentary track from the laserdisc days -- back when Criterion pioneered the inclusion of such special features -- gets licensed for use on someone else's set. The upcoming MGM special edition of Martin Scorsese's "Raging Bull," for example, reportedly includes the commentary track from the old Criterion laserdisc. But by and large, Criterion is on its own, scouring the globe for good source material, restoring prints and continuing its slow and steady release pace.

"The philosophy has always been, at the end of the day, that you have one chance to do this," Hendrickson says. "At least, you think you have one chance, and for most films there will be one chance, at least until there's another format. You should do what is right for the film. It may not sound like good business, by the numbers, but I think people really appreciate the fact that we'll hold a release if we haven't done it right, or reprint something if it hasn't come back properly. We don't care if we miss a street date."

Criterion keeps its upcoming slate under pretty tight wraps, and release dates are indeed prone to delay for numerous reasons. But Hendrickson is willing to confirm a few new titles for the Criterion faithful and hint about several more in store for 2005 and beyond. These include Powell/Pressburger's "The 49th Parallel" and "A Canterbury Tale," Antonioni's "L'Eclisse," Les Blank's riveting Werner Herzog documentary "Burden of Dreams," and a new edition of "Seven Samurai" (plus possibly other re-released Kurosawa titles as well).

"We're always addressing the issues of the library and getting out new filmmakers that we haven't been able to put out before," Hendrickson says. "I feel like 2005 is the introduction of a lot of people to the Criterion library that you haven't seen before. John Ford is possibly on the horizon. There will be Mizoguchi and a few more women inserted into the collection. But we're driven as much by what the collection is missing and how we're going to address those gaps."
Try to keep an open mind. Try to understand the viewpoint of others. Consider the minority opinion, but try to get along with the majority opinion once it's accepted. Course Holly and I've had fun, even if it has been rushed, and... so far we're doing fine. hadn't got caught. Excuse the grammar.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 15:25   #39
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
...John Ford is possibly on the horizon...
Fingers crossed. John Mulvaney wrote to me recently: "We hope to release some Ford in the future, but nothing is certain at the moment."

To quote Brian Stimpson:

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope..."
Old 08-12-2004, 13:07   #40
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

More women in the future - too much to hope for Ida Lupino's "Outrage" ?? Possibly Kathryn Bigelow's "Strange Days" - a film I adore but which seems to get short shrift from most quarters.

Nice quote from "Clockwise" John. All I can remember to match it is Joan Hickson wittering about sherry glasses