Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 15-11-2004, 21:57   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Criterion 2005; Le Samourai, Wages of Fear for Oct, Pickpocket, Ran, Hoffman for Nov.

From Anthony at the HTF:

The American Museum of the Moving Image recently hosted a panel dicussion with Criterion president Peter Becker and Criterion Tech Director Lee Kline on November 14th. During their chat, they happened to spill the beans on a number of upcoming titles.

Jean Renoir's THE RIVER is forthcoming. The transfer of this title will be done by digitally re-compositing the original 3-strip Technicolor negative, which currently has some shrinkage problems. This project is being co-financed by the British Film Institute.

Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI is being re-released from a new High Definition transfer. Peter Becker noted that a number of early non-anamorphic Criterion titles (some additional Kurosawa possibly among them) will likely be re-released with new transfers.

Michael Powell's 49TH PARALLEL and A CANTERBURY TALE are in the works. Antonioni's THE ECLIPSE (seen to great effect in Scorsese's MY VOYAGE TO ITALY doco) is also on the way. The forthcoming MGM RAGING BULL DVD will feature the original Criterion commentary, and Criterion indicate they are open to considering future licensing of their earlier commentary tracks on a case by case basis. I bet 2005 will be an expensive year for Criterion fans.

Last edited by John Hodson; 30-08-2005 at 09:17.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 22:32   #2
Guest 36757
Banned

Carlton's Canterbury Tale is already excellent (like all their P and P discs). It will be interesting to see what Criterion can come up with to tempt me to lash out on a second copy.
Guest 36757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 23:03   #3
Guest 4461
Trusted User

Yeah, No real suprise about a re-release of 'Seven Samurai' as rumours of such have been on the cards for a while...talking of rumours etc..i wonder whether 'Last Year In Marienbad' will materialise from Criterion next year?
Guest 4461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 00:14   #4
Guest 24327
Banned

And still we await Michael Powell's "Tales of Hoffmann". That is one Criterion that has been proposed for such a long time, even being listed in an earlier catalogue, but still not eventuating. Can't wait to see Renoir's "The River" tho. That is certainly good news.
Guest 24327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 00:19   #5
agnetha

Still no definite answer about Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls I see...
agnetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 00:52   #6
earl_roberts2002

I'm disapointted with no Beyond The Valley news too, been waiting for this one for a while now. Plus they've been saying that the old releases will be done anamorphic for like, the last three years and in three whole years they managed to do Charade. Umm, wow, not holding my breath on that one.
Solid titles, and of course the Seven Samurai news is great but nothing blows me away there to be honest. But then Criterion always seem to just announce titles with no/little build up prior which always seem to please me {like the forthcoming Suzuki's!** so I can't be down on them too much.
My ideal release would still be a double disc release of Greeting and Hi Mom! with De Palma and De Niro commentary though
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 01:19   #7
Guest 28243
Trusted User

Thanks John, that's marvellous news. If I could pick one film for the Criterion treatment it would be 'A Canterbury Tale'. Let's hope they pull out all the stops for this release.
Guest 28243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 15:41   #8
Guest 4779
sweet & sticky

Yeah to Seven Samurai. Held off on that due to rumours.
Guest 4779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 18:04   #9
Guest 42843
Banned

When are Criterion going to do the business on Resnais' little known 1977 classic 'Providence'???
Guest 42843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 20:11   #10
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

I've had seven samurai (crit) for a while but may upgrade for this. I'm on a Criterion spree with Fanny and Alexander, Re-release of M, Testament of Dr Mabuse, Naked Lunch, Sullivan's Travels, Ikuru all on my 'to get' list as well as next years Kurosawa Kagemusha.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 12:46   #11
Guest 4779
sweet & sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
I've had seven samurai (crit) for a while but may upgrade for this. I'm on a Criterion spree with Fanny and Alexander, Re-release of M, Testament of Dr Mabuse, Naked Lunch, Sullivan's Travels, Ikuru all on my 'to get' list as well as next years Kurosawa Kagemusha.
Oh cool. Have you ever seen Preston Sturges ''Sullivans Travels''. If you haven't then you are in for a special treat. Criterion has done a tremendous job with the picture and the extras are great, plus the movie is simply a masterpiece.

I urge you to get ''The Lady Eve'' as well. For me it is one of the smartest, funniest and happy films ever made.
What happened to wit in hollywood scipts?
Guest 4779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 13:09   #12
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Any more Powell & Pressbuger is good news for me; the Carlton A Canterbury Tale is a good disk and as it's one of my favourite films I can see me getting the Criterion as well no matter what it contains

The problem with Hoffman is apparently technical, rather than some reluctance to release it; let's hope they get it sorted eventually.
Old 19-11-2004, 13:54   #13
Guest 25297
Ski tracks in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvert11
Oh cool. Have you ever seen Preston Sturges ''Sullivans Travels''. If you haven't then you are in for a special treat. Criterion has done a tremendous job with the picture and the extras are great, plus the movie is simply a masterpiece.

I urge you to get ''The Lady Eve'' as well. For me it is one of the smartest, funniest and happy films ever made.
I'll second that and add TROUBLE IN PARADISE as another absolute must see as far as witty hollywood scripts. They really don't make them like they used to.
Guest 25297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 14:05   #14
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this, but I thought the Coens' made quite a decent fist at the (sadly missed) screwball comedy with Intolerable Cruelty and Oh Brother Where Art Thou? harked back to the Golden Age too. Sadly, The Ladykillers, IMHO, proved a hark too far...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 14:22   #15
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I thought "Intolerable Cruelty" had some extremely funny moments - Richard Jenkins's lawyer attempting to object to versification being my favourite - but didn't quite hang together. George Clooney has the potential to be a really great comic actor though, if he makes the right choices.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 14:45   #16
anephric
Kidney Thief

Hudsucker obviously makes a tip of the hat to Hawks and co. too.

Looking forward to the R2 Coen Box set with the above and Barton Fink amongst others...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 17:04   #17
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvert11

No havent seen it yet, am looking forward to, cherz for the recomendation! I was going to buy it earlier this year but opted for Fellini's 8 1/2 instead (which I dont regret at all ) The last Criterion I bought was The Leopard. Excellent film and a brilliant presentation by Criterion. I must need help but even though I know a disc that is supposedly superior to a criterion (ala BFI's version) I'll always go for Criterion
Old 19-11-2004, 17:34   #18
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

On the subject of Crits, the new "Fanny And Alexander" is quite splendid.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 18:01   #19
Guest 40950

intolerable cruelty is the best thing the coen brothers have done, fargo notwithstanding, but then i'm not a massive fan

antonioni's the eclipse is one of my most wanted films, looking forward to the river too
Guest 40950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 20:21   #20
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
On the subject of Crits, the new "Fanny And Alexander" is quite splendid.
Whats it like? I'm really looking forward to getting this (the family may get it for me, for christmas.) Looking forward to see the TV cut and the Bergman making of doco.