Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 22-06-2006, 10:43   #41
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

It's a practice I loathe; here's an example, the aptly named The Little Shop of Horrors from Legend films.

The only redeeming feature is the fact that in crayoning in Corman's film, like all the films that undergo the treatment at Legend, the original has to undergo a thorough restoration. I've heard that their work on The Mark of Zorro has lead to their b&w version being slightly superior to Fox's original 'Studio Classics' release.

The total downside is that these films can never be a true representation of what the film could looked like had it been filmed in colour. How can they be? There are any number of arguments - the cinematographers worked to the parameters of b&w film stock, the director may deliberately have chosen to work in that medium, who now knows what the colour of the costumes, sets, bakgrounds, or even the shades of makeup, were. None of the colours can be a true match; they look somehow ghoulish to my eyes, like the product of the undertakers art.

There's no denying the technology involved. But it's a little like watching the footage of 'smart' missiles hitting their target; it's well done, but it's horrible, just horrible, to watch.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 16:14   #42
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Am I mistaken, or is this practice getting a foothold again? These have just been announced, Fox seems to give it credence with their tie-up with 'Legend', and this thread shows that the only possible reason to defend Legend - that in crayoning in films they are obliged to restore the original - doesn't seem to hold water if views of their recent Things to Come release are accurate.

Some quite breataking views in that thread BTW; I thought I was remarkably restrained (and lucky that they have a 'delete post' function).
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote