Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 26-08-2009, 16:21   #141
Guest 2302
XBL + PSN : Jediross

Like many of you I have seen soooo many over the years they all start to blur but will never forget seeing Iron Maiden at The Pitz in Milton Keynes, Eddie coming out on the tiny stage was a sight to behold.

Also memorable, at the same venue was Roadstar and The Answer co-headlining. The Answer blew me away totally! As they were on first I then got to stand chatting with the band as Roadstar played at the back of the very small venue.

Black Stone Cherry at the Soundhaus in Northampton, tiny venue, great gig and awesome to see them playing somewhere so small, also at Oxford Academy with the mighty Stone Gods supporting.

AC/DC at the O2, a day out with my son that I will never ever forget.

Maybe not cool but totally amazing, Status Quo at Cambridge Corn Exchange last year.

Bands that have never let me down, even when the venue has, have bee The Almighty, The Wildhearts/Ginger, Terrorvision, never been disappointed by a Metallica or Iron Maiden gig either.

Have got to the point now where I take my sons to gigs and that has brought a new level of joy, taken them to Metallica, Judas Priest / Megadeth, Terrorvision, The Wildhearts, Foo Fighters, and it makes my heart glow with pride that they are enjoying the music I have enjoyed for so many years.

Could go on to list the bands I remember seeing but that would only be dull and Id probably miss shed loads.
Guest 2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 16:26   #142
Guest 26778
Idiot Baiter

Sigur Ros at Connect Festival 2008
Elbow at Connect Festival 2008
Muse at SECC 2007

The first two because the fantastic music and the highland venue were so unashamedly brilliant when combined (fog rolling down off the mountains surrounding the venue), and the third because I was it was the first major gig I ever shot, and struggled to remain composed, because being at the front of thousands of fans for three songs was so ******* awesome.
Guest 26778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 16:43   #143
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediross View Post
Also memorable, at the same venue was Roadstar and The Answer co-headlining. The Answer blew me away totally! As they were on first I then got to stand chatting with the band as Roadstar played at the back of the very small venue.
You know Roadstar are back as Heaven's Basement now, yes? They're great live.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 17:55   #144
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhillbiker View Post
Sigur Ros at Connect Festival 2008
These could well be my fave live act and that's despite not seeing much due to a packed venue. (Glasgow Academy btw.)

Last edited by Johnny Vodka; 26-08-2009 at 17:56.
Johnny Vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 18:01   #145
tizza
cranial deficient

Rolling stones st james park 90

God they were old then!!

oh yeh mcfly twice

Last edited by tizza; 26-08-2009 at 18:03.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 18:45   #146
CiderMyth
Random poster

Sonic Youth playing through Daydream Nation at the Camden Roundhouse, September 07, was pretty special.
And My Bloody Valentine's "comeback" gigs, again at the Roundhouse, last June were amazing.

CM
"Say you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone says plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No use looking for one either. It's part of the lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything."
CiderMyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 19:03   #147
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

The best would have to be...

Bruce Springsteen & the Sessions Band - Hammersmith '06
Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - Columbia, SC '02
Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - Crystal Palace '03
Old 26-08-2009, 19:47   #148
PeteMc
Stranger In A Strangeland

The Damned, umpteen times between 1982 and 2001-not a bad show amongst them.

English Dogs, Leeds Queens Hall 1983 - Storming set made even better by the crowd participation/stage invasion.

The Men They Couldn't Hang, some dodgy club in Manchester in the late 80's/early 90's.

The Macc Lads, somewhere in Milton Keynes late 80's.

Worth a mention, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, The Stranglers (original version).
PeteMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 22:04   #149
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

My top 3 so far:

1) Twisted Sister. Come Out And Play Tour. Manchester Apollo. 1986.
2) Ace Frehley. Hammersmith Odeon. 1988.
3) KISS. Lick It Up Tour. Leeds. 1983.

Honorable mention to Michael Jackson. Bad Tour. Leeds. 1988.

Last edited by MrSpeed; 26-08-2009 at 22:06.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:23   #150
Guest 70483
Trusted User

I have to say the best gig I have seen so far is Take That. They put on the best show ever not just stand/sit on stage they put on a amazing show.
Guest 70483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 09:12   #151
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,110 Posts
Hard to choose but I am in a metal mood today so I shall choose:

Metallica - Master Of Puppets tour, Cardiff St David's Hall
Mainly memorable as the bank of seats I was stood on collapsed and I ended up with my neck on a metal seatpost and about 25 metalheads on top of me. V scary. Hetfield had a broken arm and roadie was playing guitar. One of Cliff's last gigs

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction, Bristol Colston Hall
Particularly memorable as I got left behind by the tour bus. Met Slash and Axl. Slash offered to buy my bootleg shirt for "five dollars" and Axl offered me a ride on the bus to London. I got the mail train home to Cardiff.

Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain, Cardiff St David's Hall
It was snowing and I turned up in my school uniform to grab a returned ticket. Caught a signed Tommy Lee drumstick. Mate was gutted so the next thing coming off the stage was gonna be his no matter what. He caught it. Cue screaming terror around. It was a sheep's brain that someone had chucked on stage. My school jumper was covered in brains and the girl next to him had an eyeball stuck in her hair.

Janes Addiction - Ritual, Bristol Bierkeller
Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible, Cardiff Ritzy

Honorable mentions to Joe Strummer in Newport TJs, Public Enemy/Anthrax in Brixton and The Strokes in Clwb Ifor Bach

Last edited by DeadYankee; 27-08-2009 at 09:25.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:59   #152
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Hard to choose but I am in a metal mood today so I shall choose:

Metallica - Master Of Puppets tour, Cardiff St David's Hall
Mainly memorable as the bank of seats I was stood on collapsed and I ended up with my neck on a metal seatpost and about 25 metalheads on top of me. V scary. Hetfield had a broken arm and roadie was playing guitar. One of Cliff's last gigs

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction, Bristol Colston Hall
Particularly memorable as I got left behind by the tour bus. Met Slash and Axl. Slash offered to buy my bootleg shirt for "five dollars" and Axl offered me a ride on the bus to London. I got the mail train home to Cardiff.

Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain, Cardiff St David's Hall
It was snowing and I turned up in my school uniform to grab a returned ticket. Caught a signed Tommy Lee drumstick. Mate was gutted so the next thing coming off the stage was gonna be his no matter what. He caught it. Cue screaming terror around. It was a sheep's brain that someone had chucked on stage. My school jumper was covered in brains and the girl next to him had an eyeball stuck in her hair.

Janes Addiction - Ritual, Bristol Bierkeller
I was at all those too, Metallica was a top gig with Anthrax in support, loved Cheap Trick supporting the 'Crue

Gun's N 'Roses was memorable as this was before they broke the big time and the venue was only about a quarter full!!
(saw them at The Marquee a few months before, now that was legendary!)

Last edited by George vader; 27-08-2009 at 11:01.
George vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 12:54   #153
Guest 1471

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderMyth View Post
Sonic Youth playing through Daydream Nation at the Camden Roundhouse, September 07, was pretty special.
And My Bloody Valentine's "comeback" gigs, again at the Roundhouse, last June were amazing.
My best ever gig was Sonic Youth at some train station in Seattle when Daydream Nation first came out. They came on and said "this is a new song." After that they introduced "another new song" then another. They played the whole album from start to finish.

I seem to think the encore was an old song, I remember it being I wanna be your dog, but maybe that was another SY show, and then that was it. Screaming Trees and Tad were the supports I think.

Update: Google tells me it was 11/11/88 - @ Union Station and it was Mudhoney not Tad.

Last edited by DCH; 27-08-2009 at 12:59. Reason: more info
Guest 1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:04   #154
Guest 1471

Not my best gig but my worst bet on the success of a band ever: After seeing Nirvana support STP and Sonic Youth in Seattle I came out and said they were the worst band I'd ever seen and they'd go NOWHERE. I rather liked STP though...

That said when I saw them co-headline in the UK with Tad a couple of years later I didn't think they'd improved much. Doh.

Last edited by DCH; 27-08-2009 at 13:04. Reason: typo
Guest 1471 is offline   Reply With Quote