Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 17-10-2009, 09:37   #1
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Singing in the Rain DP Blu-ray £8.80 with code Release Date 16th July 2012 UK :)

just thought I would ask the question if anyone had any info on this as it is my favourite musical and eagerly awaiting it's arrival on blu-ray

thanks in anticipation

Last edited by ben001; 09-06-2012 at 01:37.
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:10   #2
JoelCairo
Trusted User

I have not come across any rumours that Singing In The Rain is being prepared for a Blu-ray release. You'll have to be patient.

As the original DVD is of such high picture quality, there is no reason to give Singing In The Rain priority over other great movies waiting to be issued in high definition.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 11:43   #3
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCairo View Post
I have not come across any rumours that Singing In The Rain is being prepared for a Blu-ray release. You'll have to be patient.

As the original DVD is of such high picture quality, there is no reason to give Singing In The Rain priority over other great movies waiting to be issued in high definition.
Thanks Joel,
but I am very patient as I have seen An American in Paris released with Gene Kelly which was nowhere near such a great Film as Singing in the Rain and as a point of information was voted the Number One musical of all time by the American Film Institute....so on a biased and unbiased note would regard this a truely great film....
Old 17-10-2009, 12:57   #4
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:

It really isn't that good (I put it on earlier to take a look; the 2-Disc SE)
For a film that is so colourful it's pretty drab and flat. If Warners can do a Wizard of Oz level job on it, there's huge room for improvement.
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 14:44   #5
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
For a film that is so colourful it's pretty drab and flat. If Warners can do a Wizard of Oz level job on it, there's huge room for improvement.
totally agree horseflesh....I think it would look exceptional if they do the same treatment as the wizard of oz which was another classic
Old 17-10-2009, 17:57   #6
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
I wrote "the original DVD". I haven't seen the Special Edition but I am surprised that you find it drab. I can assure you my Region 1 DVD has vivid colours and sharp focus. It was one of the first DVDs I bought - a long time ago now.
Old 17-10-2009, 19:30   #7
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
I wrote "the original DVD". I haven't seen the Special Edition but I am surprised that you find it drab. I can assure you my Region 1 DVD has vivid colours and sharp focus. It was one of the first DVDs I bought - a long time ago now.
Maybe I've ruined it for myself by watching the new Wizard of Oz release last week.
I had that DVD too, I can't remember exactly what it looked like but I can only presume that the SE was an improvement. There's nothing "wrong" with it as a DVD, but having seen the Blu-rays of the likes of Oz and Adventures of Robin Hood it's clear that it can be considerably improved on.
Warners have been doing fine work on catalogue titles, so I have high hopes for a future Blu-ray release of Singin' in the Rain.
Old 17-10-2009, 22:29   #8
JoelCairo
Trusted User

I've just watched Singing In The Rain - for the first time in about five years. I still say that this particular DVD has vivid colours and sharp focus but, watching through a new and better projector than previously and via a new and better DVD player, I can now see that the source print was grubby and that in some scenes the colours are muddy. They are not drab or subdued but they are smeared. Certainly a Blu-ray of Singing In The Rain will require either a much cleaner print or substantial restoration of the source materials.

Nevertheless this DVD incarnation is better and more watchable via a projector than the DVDs of many other musicals including that other great masterpiece The Band Wagon.

Singing In The Rain is one of the great Himalayan peaks of the movies; one of that tiny group of films which are so good that it is difficult to find any fault with them. (Others in this group are The Maltese Falcon, The Third Man, Rio Bravo and North By Northwest.) To climb on my favourite hobby horse for a moment, the foundation for the movie being so good is its screenplay which absolutely superb and never acknowledged. (Singing In The Rain is one of the most loved and applauded fiilms ever but I have never heard or read any-one praising the excellence of the screenplay.) Another point which re-occured to me tonight was that in a film with numerous brilliant performances, the two best come from Donald O'Connor and Jean Hagen. O'Connor of course was a diamond-hard professional of extreme versatility who could do anything to an exceptionally high standard. (One of the main pleasures of There's No Business Like Show Business is watching him with Dan Dailey, a comparable all-rounder.) What about Jean Hagen however? Just compare her work in Singing In The Rain with her performance in The Asphalt Jungle. Clearly she was an actress of considerable range. What a pity she was not given more opportunities to demonstrate her talent.

I look forward to a Blu-ray of Singing In The Rain from restored materials. Cyd Charisse in high definition! Yes sir, that's my baby!

Last edited by JoelCairo; 03-04-2012 at 21:24.
Old 17-10-2009, 23:27   #9
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Yeah, I agree with you about O'Connor & Hagen; two perfect comic performances.
Of course, I ended up watching the film in full today, and my kids made me replay the Make 'em Laugh scene about five times and they just cracked up every time and tried to copy O'Connor.

And that Cyd Charisse sequence could/should look stunning in HD.
Old 18-10-2009, 08:18   #10
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Loco

The "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence is the one item which casts a shadow over the magnificence of this movie. It is a quite dazzling sequence and shows that Donald O'Connor was one of the best hoofers in the business. But . . . but . . . but . . . . the tune is a blatant plagiarism of Cole Porter's "Be A Clown" written for MGM's The Pirate.

When Benny Green, an ex jazz musician who for many years on BBC Radio 2 had a Sunday afternoon programme about popular songs, asked Gene Kelly about this - Kelly of course performed "Be A Clown" in The Pirate - Kelly said everyone on the set went around pretending they had not noticed that producer Arthur Freed had plagiarised Cole Porter. Kelly was a huge admirer of the great songwriters and told Benny Green he thought they were unrecognised genuises.

Cole Porter did not sue MGM and - perhaps I'm being cynical - seems to have been rewarded for his forbearance. In the immediate years following Singing In The Rain, MGM bought the rights to and filmed Silk Stockings and also hired Porter to write the scores for High Society and Les Girls.

Last edited by JoelCairo; 18-10-2009 at 15:33. Reason: typo
Old 18-10-2009, 08:58   #11
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
The "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence is the one item which casts a shadow over the magnificence of this movie. It is a quite dazzling sequence and shows that Donald O'Connor was one of the best hoofers in the business. But . . . but . . . but . . . . the tune is a blatant plagiarism of Cole Porters's "Be A Clown" written for MGM's The Pirate.

When Benny Green, an ex jazz musician who for many years on BBC Radio 2 had a Sunday afternoon programme about popular songs, asked Gene Kelly about this - Kelly of course performed "Be A Clown" in The Pirate - Kelly said everyone on the set went around pretending they had not noticed that producer Arthur Freed had plagiarised Cole Porter. Kelly was a huge admirer of the great songwriters and told Benny Green he thought they were unrecognised genuises.

Cole Porter did not sue MGM and - perhaps I'm being cynical - seems to have been rewarded for his forbearance. In the immediate years following Singing In The Rain, MGM bought the rights to and filmed Silk Stockings and also hired Porter to write the scores for High Society and Les Girls.
If it's true that this cast a shadow on the movie, then you're a lot harder on your movie composers than the classical guys are on opera composers. One of the greatest, Handel, was, as famous for stealing whole scores from other composers as he was for his Messiah. Has that harmed his reputation ? With music I would say what matters is the context in which a tune is used and whether or not it works. "Make 'Em Laugh" works fantastically well.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:14   #12
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
If it's true that this cast a shadow on the movie, then you're a lot harder on your movie composers than the classical guys are on opera composers. One of the greatest, Handel, was, as famous for stealing whole scores from other composers as he was for his Messiah. Has that harmed his reputation ? With music I would say what matters is the context in which a tune is used and whether or not it works. "Make 'Em Laugh" works fantastically well.
agree with bosque....I actually thought that this was one of the most light hearted parts of the movie and Donald O'Conner should how superfit he was as an actor in the musical genre...Remember in the context of the film Singing in the Rain was a look at Hollywood in a tongue and cheek manner of Hollywood's Golden age of The Musical and the transition from silent film to talkies with The Jazz Singer being the competition at the time as a comparison within the storyline....again I must stress that I cannot fault Singing in the Rain as I am a fan of the movie

Last edited by ben001; 18-10-2009 at 09:16.
Old 18-10-2009, 09:23   #13
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
I've just watched Singing In The Rain - for the first time in about five years. I still say that this particular DVD has vivid colours and sharp focus but, watching through a new and better projector than previously and via a new and better DVD player, I can now see that the source print was grubby and that in some scenes the colours are muddy. They are not drab or subdued but they are smeared. Certainly a Blu-ray of Singing In The Rain will require either a much cleaner print or substantial restoration of the source materials.

Nevertheless this DVD incarnation is better and more watchable via a projector than the DVDs of many other musicals including that other great masterpiece The Band Wagon.

Singing In The Rain is one of the great Himalayan peaks of the movies; one of that tiny group of films which are so good that it is difficult to find any fault with them. (Others in this group are The Maltese Falcon, The Third Man, Rio Bravo and North By Northwest.) To climb on my favourite hobby horse for a moment, the foundation for the movie being so good is its screenplay which absolutely superb and never acknowledged. (Singing In The Rain is one of the most loved and applauded fiilms ever but I have never heard or read one-one praising the excellence of the screenplay.) Another point which re-occured to me tonight was that in a film with numerous brilliant performances, the two best come from Donald O'Connor and Jean Hagen. O'Connor of course was a diamond-hard professional of extreme versatility who could do anything to an exceptionally high standard. (One of the main pleasures of There's No Business Like Show Business is watching him with Dan Dailey, a comparable all-rounder.) What about Jean Hagen however? Just compare her work in Singing In The Rain with her performance in The Asphalt Jungle. Clearly she was an actress of considerable range. What a pity she was not given more opportunities to demonstrate her talent.

I look forward to a Blu-ray of Singing In The Rain from restored materials. Cyd Charisse in high definition! Yes sir, that's my baby!
I am glad to hear you appreciate the movie Joel and totally agree with your synopsis of Donald O'Connor...but let's not forget about the true star of Singing in the Rain...the genius they call Gene Kelly
Old 18-10-2009, 15:46   #14
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
I disagree. Plagiarism is a form of theft. I am well aware it has been going on for centuries but that does not justify it. The correct procedure for Arthur Freed would have been to commission a new tune.

By the way, I have not disputed that the "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence is brilliant. See my earlier post.
Old 18-10-2009, 15:53   #15
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben001 View Post
I am glad to hear you appreciate the movie Joel and totally agree with your synopsis of Donald O'Connor...but let's not forget about the true star of Singing in the Rain...the genius they call Gene Kelly
I am most unlikely ever to forget Gene Kelly's contribution to the movies in general and Singing In The Rain in particular. I didn't mention him because I try not to make points that have been made a thousand times before, not because I don't appreciate his work.
Old 18-10-2009, 16:02   #16
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
I disagree. Plagiarism is a form of theft. I am well aware it has been going on for centuries but that does not justify it. The correct procedure for Arthur Freed would have been to commission a new tune.
I'm sure you're right, but why worry about it?
Leave that to the legal eagles and just enjoy it for what it it.

Quote:
I am most unlikely ever to forget Gene Kelly's contribution to the movies in general and Singing In The Rain in particular. I didn't mention him because I try not to make points that have been made a thousand times before, not because I don't appreciate his work.
As strong as Kelly is in Singin' in the Rain, I still think that O'Connor steals the show every opportunity he gets.
Kelly & O'Connor......they sound like they could be my neighbours
Old 19-10-2009, 05:40   #17
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Kelly & O'Connor......they sound like they could be my neighbours
I once heard Tommy Steele tell Michael Parkinson about his time in America. He worked for bit with Gene Kelly and later demonstrated a dance step he had learned to Fred Astaire. Fred Astaire remarked "the Irishman taught you that, didn't he?"
Old 19-10-2009, 08:14   #18
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
I once heard Tommy Steele tell Michael Parkinson about his time in America. He worked for bit with Gene Kelly and later demonstrated a dance step he had learned to Fred Astaire. Fred Astaire remarked "the Irishman taught you that, didn't he?"
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30   #19
Guest 66681
Trusted User

16th July 2012 release date in UK .....can't wait for this musical gem

Amazon and Play have a pre-order price of £11.99 for the Region Free Doubleplay

Old 09-04-2012, 09:54   #20
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Amazon has just reduced this to £10.99