Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2014, 17:27   #1
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
The Manchester United Thread 2014/2015

Continued from here:

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/foru...d.php?t=628058
Old 27-08-2014, 18:22   #2
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Di Maria's presser is tomorrow at 3 , I wonder if anyone will ask LVG if that's it for the signings ?
Old 27-08-2014, 21:28   #3
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Did you all think LVG was lying when he said it would be bad for the first 3 months?

I know you had a great preseason, but that doesn't count. In July he said...

Quote:
When we survive the first three months, it will be the same as for me as it was at Bayern Munich. At Bayern, after the first three months, we were sixth or seventh
Did you think he was lying?

Still doesn't explain why you've waited so long to bag your signings though...especially with all the clubs adding money on, knowing you're desperate.

Still don't know how you haven't swooped in for Vlaar on the cheap...
Old 27-08-2014, 22:01   #4
yak
Trusted User

I don't think he expected it to be quite this bad, particularly after pre-season. I think he genuinely wanted to look at players first hand and give them a chance.

Having said that, he or his backroom staff must have known there was an issue in losing 2 highly experienced CBs and subsequently a LB, particularly given the system he wanted to play from the off. Plus, he must have known the midfield was wafer thin, and then Carrick got injured.

I still don't understand why a mid-level central midfielder wasn't signed weeks ago to help out. Song is available on loan and could do a job. Sandro is available. Defensive cover is needed.

The talk seems to be that deals (Blind, De Jong/Vidal) are lined up for the wire - they'd better be. The spine of the team has looked so weak the last few games. I've found it a real shock, simply because in pre-season, merits or not of the system he had them passing quickly, crisply and forward. That seems to have fallen by the way side.

So, with no Europe and only the FA Cup as a possibility for a cup run the squad needs pruning. Get at least 1 CM, plus a defensive covering player. Don't sell/loan (and why on earth would you think of loaning him to another PL team anyway) Welbeck. Think about Chicarito moving on (and he is a player I'm very fond of) - staying isn't doing either party any good. Get Anderson out. Decide what to do with Zaha. Let Rafael play once he is fit. Get more urgency and movement in the play. Ashley Young will never be a serviceable defender.
Old 28-08-2014, 07:27   #5
aliman5000
Clown X

The Manchester United Thread 2014/2015

Strong talk of Vidal and Blind coming before the window closes...would it then be a good summer?
Old 28-08-2014, 08:07   #6
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
It's going to take time. Unfortunately that means two seasons written off instead of one. Credit to the Glazers, they're not shirking their responsibilities this season. Just a couple more players and we'll be back to challenging instead of just showing up.
Two seasons, think again. I bet there is a clause in all of these 'top' players contracts that they can/will leave if we don't make Champions League this season, add to that the sponsors who will have a similar clause to either leave or reduce the amount they pay by a substantial sum. Now is not the time for experimenting, now is the time to get winning in the style all the players know best. Any other system can be tried once we are safe.
Old 28-08-2014, 08:51   #7
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Two seasons, think again. I bet there is a clause in all of these 'top' players contracts that they can/will leave if we don't make Champions League this season, add to that the sponsors who will have a similar clause to either leave or reduce the amount they pay by a substantial sum. Now is not the time for experimenting, now is the time to get winning in the style all the players know best. Any other system can be tried once we are safe.
Claptrap!

What top players will have a release clause? If RVP, Rooney or Mata had these then they would had already escaped, surely? Herrera and Shaw aren't the type of players to demand or be entitled to release clauses and if Di Maria has been signed for £60m and has a release clause for less then United are sinking into chaos!

I believe the new sponsorship deals drop about 30% if we fail to qualify for CL this season (or maybe next season) but they are still relatively massive compared to any other club's.

Also, where is this 'winning in the style the players know best' coming from? They've been losing for 14 months now since Fergie left. Confidence is shot, rival teams have improved significantly, there is a massive upheaval ahead - going to and saying 'play like you did when you were winning' is hardly going to work. For a start, the spine of that team are nowhere to be seen.

LVG can have all the time he requires in my eyes - I don't like the three at the back system and I hope he changes that quickly but otherwise it is his side. A couple more additions by the time the window closes, get players fit and plug on. There is no-one better placed than LVG right now to take on this job.
Old 28-08-2014, 09:16   #8
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalgubbins View Post
Claptrap!

What top players will have a release clause? If RVP, Rooney or Mata had these then they would had already escaped, surely? Herrera and Shaw aren't the type of players to demand or be entitled to release clauses and if Di Maria has been signed for £60m and has a release clause for less then United are sinking into chaos!

I believe the new sponsorship deals drop about 30% if we fail to qualify for CL this season (or maybe next season) but they are still relatively massive compared to any other club's.

Also, where is this 'winning in the style the players know best' coming from? They've been losing for 14 months now since Fergie left. Confidence is shot, rival teams have improved significantly, there is a massive upheaval ahead - going to and saying 'play like you did when you were winning' is hardly going to work. For a start, the spine of that team are nowhere to be seen.

LVG can have all the time he requires in my eyes - I don't like the three at the back system and I hope he changes that quickly but otherwise it is his side. A couple more additions by the time the window closes, get players fit and plug on. There is no-one better placed than LVG right now to take on this job.
30% of 700,000,000 is.......
Old 28-08-2014, 10:08   #9
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
30% of 700,000,000 is.......
Still dwarfs any other shirt sponsorship deal in football.

I couldn't actually care less about the money side to be honest it only hurts the Glazers ultimately as they'll need to keep forking out to get us back into the CL. I hate how we are currently managing our transfer activity, shelling out £60m on Di Maria (a great player worth nowhere near that sum), £37m on Mata (who I think will ultimately be deemed a failure) and nearly £30m on Shaw and Herrera.

My bug-bear for seasons now has been our failure to improve the squad and invest in promising but established talent (rather than the top end 'stars' or raw youngsters). Where were United when Strootman was purchased by Roma? He is exactly the player we needed but sod that, let's leave him. It appears we either buy at ridiculous prices or not at all and that is a throwback from Fergie's time.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:24   #10
MaxNutter

The most baffling thing about the last years of Fergie's reign was his inability / refusal to reinforce the midfield. Who was the last quality central midfielder we bought? Hargreaves?

Back in the day we went from Robson to Ince to Keane. Keane left in 2005, almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't replaced him.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:34   #11
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalgubbins View Post
Still dwarfs any other shirt sponsorship deal in football.

I couldn't actually care less about the money side to be honest it only hurts the Glazers ultimately as they'll need to keep forking out to get us back into the CL. I hate how we are currently managing our transfer activity, shelling out £60m on Di Maria (a great player worth nowhere near that sum), £37m on Mata (who I think will ultimately be deemed a failure) and nearly £30m on Shaw and Herrera.

My bug-bear for seasons now has been our failure to improve the squad and invest in promising but established talent (rather than the top end 'stars' or raw youngsters). Where were United when Strootman was purchased by Roma? He is exactly the player we needed but sod that, let's leave him. It appears we either buy at ridiculous prices or not at all and that is a throwback from Fergie's time.
I tend to agree, this is knee jerk buying. There should have been a gradual replacement over the years & that is Fergies fault. I have no problem with a new system, I'm concerned that now is not the time to try it. It may be suited only for the continent. We have to start winning & winning fast, whatever system is used. I have no problem with not winning the premiership this or next season, but I would have a problem if we don't gain a Champions League place at the end of this season, & that ain't going to be easy.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:40   #12
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
The most baffling thing about the last years of Fergie's reign was his inability / refusal to reinforce the midfield. Who was the last quality central midfielder we bought? Hargreaves?

Back in the day we went from Robson to Ince to Keane. Keane left in 2005, almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't replaced him.
It was Hargreaves under Fergie's reign - an appalling lack of investment in an area in which we were always so strong prior to Keane. If Hargreaves had stayed fit then he'd have been a huge asset.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:44   #13
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
I tend to agree, this is knee jerk buying. There should have been a gradual replacement over the years & that is Fergies fault. I have no problem with a new system, I'm concerned that now is not the time to try it. It may be suited only for the continent. We have to start winning & winning fast, whatever system is used. I have no problem with not winning the premiership this or next season, but I would have a problem if we don't gain a Champions League place at the end of this season, & that ain't going to be easy.
It is much more difficult than simply winning - this is a team that hasn't been winning for 12 months or more. LVG has to put a system in place and it has to be a new one otherwise we are playing like we did under Moyes.

Rodgers took twelve months to settle at Liverpool and he, arguably, has changed his own principles to make it work. It is likely that LVG will do similar.

Right now, without any more additions, I would give us about a 15% chance of making CL next season. United don't crumble if they don't make it though, it is not the be all and end all. I'd much rather we see some progress in the way we play and positive signs for the future.
Old 28-08-2014, 10:59   #14
jpig
Trusted User

I remember when we were being linked to Bale from Southampton for £7m and Fergie wouldn't pay it. He went to Spurs and the rest is history.

I also agree about Mata - he's shown very little of what he can do so far, in some games he is absent. I'm a little concerned that he is the next Veron and that Mourinho maybe saw it too.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:07   #15
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Mata has scored 7 in 8 games and has only been at the club for 6 months. I wouldn't write him off yet.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:31   #16
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Mata has scored 7 in 8 games and has only been at the club for 6 months. I wouldn't write him off yet.
and we've been **** over that period!
Old 28-08-2014, 13:11   #17
jpig
Trusted User

Not writing him off and I agree he has managed to bag himself a few goals, but I was hoping he'd be the start of a more creative attack yet we seem to have problems getting people into scoring positions and a lot of the attack are shot-shy. He's got a mean free kick on him too. I was just expecting a lot more: he might improve with a stronger midfield behind him.
Old 28-08-2014, 14:51   #18
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Van Gaal confirms he expects more transfer activity: "The club will [announce] when the time's there. Players will leave, others will come."
Old 28-08-2014, 15:39   #19
mamboboy
Legend

Cleverley off to Villa for £8m by the looks of it. Amazed we're getting so much for him!
Old 28-08-2014, 16:01   #20
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

And Hernandez to Juventus for £15m too apparently.
Closed Thread