Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 19-05-2017, 00:42   #461
Shingster
Trusted User

Well tomos, you not going to at least address GR being too weak to do anything to AIDA? It's almost as if they've read the comics isn't it?

Seriously though, one of the most well known aspects of the character is that the only thing really limiting GR's powers is the human host it inhabits and they bottleneck it, so it's not a being that just rolls over anyone not up to a certain spec of power like a Thor or Hulk, but more one that can ramp up its abilities when the situation calls. On top of that you have TV show production values and writing, which will always nerf a character for the purposes of "drama" or action - Just like how GR completely blitzed those robot clones in a heartbeat at the start of the episode, then conveniently decided not to use his hellfire when going up against the same clones in the middle of the ep - All because the producers wanted a GR/Daisy action scene.

Quote:

Last edited by Shingster; 19-05-2017 at 00:45.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 05:21   #462
Taq
Evil Scientist

A great end to the season I thought.
Old 22-05-2017, 22:35   #463
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,507 Times in 475 Posts
Just got round to watching the finale. Great stuff, and I can only imagine that it was an infinity stone that froze time at the end? Maybe the one from Dr Strange? It was green after all.

Not heard of SWORD before. Gonna have to go read up on that now.

I'm guessing Coulson's deal with GR was to become the permanent host if Robbie dies. Not sure how that could happen if he's GR though.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:12   #464
CLH
La Bender

I have no idea how the writers keep coming up with these new arcs but it's terrific fun.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:02   #465
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Agree. Really enjoying this so far. Just keeps getting better
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:01   #466
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Yep season 5 has been superb so far. You can tell it's had a drastic budget reduction but they have made the most of it and come up with something compelling and interesting.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:39   #467
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

And despite the Budget cut, it still has the best CGI of any TV/Cable show...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:40   #468
Taq
Evil Scientist

Good episode this week!
Old 11-03-2018, 15:35   #469
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,507 Times in 475 Posts
It continues to be another really strong season. They must have good writers because it always seems good no matter what the situation they're in or who they're up against.

A really interesting revelation at thr end of this week's episode too.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 20:08   #470
Taq
Evil Scientist

Be interesting to see how they get out of this one. Hopefully it won't be a bit giant reset.
Old 12-03-2018, 00:12   #471
Shingster
Trusted User

Are we watching the same show here? I'm only 8 episodes in and so far it's been a significant step up from the truly woeful opening Ghost Rider arc of last season, but at this point in the season the show remains the very definition of watchable, middle-of-the-road fluff. The opening episode was pretty good but it soon settled into a routine of heavily contrived plotting designed to pad out a relatively flimsy scenario so they can hit that bloated 22 episode quota, oh and the Kree villains are boring as ****. Like I say, passable enough but far from must-watch TV.

Edit: I can't believe that p-i-s-h is an autocensored word on here!

Last edited by Shingster; 12-03-2018 at 00:14.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31   #472
tomos
XBL - virgo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Are we watching the same show here? I'm only 8 episodes in and so far it's been a significant step up from the truly woeful opening Ghost Rider arc of last season, but at this point in the season the show remains the very definition of watchable, middle-of-the-road fluff. The opening episode was pretty good but it soon settled into a routine of heavily contrived plotting designed to pad out a relatively flimsy scenario so they can hit that bloated 22 episode quota, oh and the Kree villains are boring as ****. Like I say, passable enough but far from must-watch TV.

Edit: I can't believe that p-i-s-h is an autocensored word on here!
i kinda agree and disagree. i wasn't keen on GR last year but on rewatch the whole season flowed much better for me and i enjoyed it a lot more.

the "future" arc this time around is enjoyable enough (especially compared to the flash/arrow and legends) but somethings lacking. haven't seen saturdays 100th episode yet though - off to do that now
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:20   #473
CLH
La Bender

I think there's something in this show that really clicks with some and leaves others merely satisfied. But it is hugely consistent and carried with the charm of the cast. It's also not the Coulson show. Indeed, it's more the FitzSimmons show.

The 100th? Pretty great in my view and,
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45   #474
TonyG

I remain totally puzzled why this show gets such poor ratings & horrendous negative comments on other forums. For me it still remains one of the most consistent US Network shows out there. Well written, characters with depth that get an equal share of screen-time, decent action choreography, excellent FX & consistently surprises me with plot-twists (The one at the end of ep.100 was a corker!).

I can only assume the online haters are angry housewives upset that the show denies them another banal, bland hospital/cop-based procedural to watch....
Old 12-03-2018, 11:45   #475
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Really enjoyed the 100th ep. The callbacks were a nice touch and the twist was pretty cool.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 18:29   #476
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I remain totally puzzled why this show gets such poor ratings & horrendous negative comments on other forums. For me it still remains one of the most consistent US Network shows out there. Well written, characters with depth that get an equal share of screen-time, decent action choreography, excellent FX & consistently surprises me with plot-twists (The one at the end of ep.100 was a corker!).

I can only assume the online haters are angry housewives upset that the show denies them another banal, bland hospital/cop-based procedural to watch....
There is a lot to be said for shows that can tell a story in an hour and be done. Agents Of Shield has 22 hours per season and as good as the stories are there is not 22 hours worth. Or look at it another way would you go to the movies 11 times to see 11 two-hour movies that cover the events in season 4 of AOS?

Given that the way people consume television today is a lot different, the way they make TV shows has hardly changed. Even the Netflix series at 13 episodes have fallen to padding, pacing and plot contrivances designed to prolong the story way past a normal conclusion. Money could be a factor in this but most likely is that they are trying to fit a story to a set number of episodes rather than fit the number of episodes to the story.

Daredevil season one and Daredevil season 2 first half for my money has the best pacing in recent years, CW's Arrow, Flash, Legends Season 1, Luke Cage have some of the worst.

Middle of the road leaning towards bad Jessica Jones, Punisher, Daredevil Season 2 2nd half.

Have not watched Iron fist in full could not get past the first two episodes.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 03:24   #477
Shingster
Trusted User

Well that 100th episode was pretty embarassing for Marvel, the creators of the show, the people in front of and behind the camera, the network and just scripted TV fiction in general wasn't it? I don't think they could have come up with a more derivative, clichéd pile of **** to celebrate a pretty big milestone if they tried. You wanna know why this show gets **** on and doesn't gather steam with viewers Tony? Go back and watch that pile of ********!

Also Dove Cameron couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and looks about 4ft tall and 14yrs old, and she's the new badass threat to the team? Ok.

Last edited by Shingster; 15-03-2018 at 03:25.
Old 15-03-2018, 12:27   #478
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

For the 100th it would have been great to try and tie it back in with the movies more. I'm thinking like what DS9 did with Trials and Tribulations episode.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 00:15   #479
tomos
XBL - virgo22

aye, still love shield though and the "wedding" was still infinitely better than the CW attempt - as in there wasn't a riot and a reddit rebranding following it
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:22   #480
TonyG

Indeed, no matter how good/bad you thought ep.100 was, it was infinitely superior to any of the current CW Superhero output...