Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 13-02-2007, 01:02   #1
megatron
Trusted User

HD-DVD/BLU-RAY - Are most bare bone discs?

Are the majority of the current releases mainly the same extras wise to SD DVD or are they bare bones so the lucky early adopters get to double/triple dip if the format takes off?
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 01:28   #2
Guest 27297
Trusted User

The majority of early Blu-Ray titles were barebones, because the technology meant they had to use less effecient codecs, and only 25GB discs were available for manufacture. This is slowly changing with the advent of 50GB discs and the acceptance of VC-1 and AVC for video encoding.

The majority of HD DVD have included the SD DVD extras, thanks to the use of VC-1 since day one. Titles such as V for Vendetta, Last Samaurai, Batman Begins etc have ported over all (or 99%) of the extras from the SD DVD.

One advantage HD DVD currently has over Blu-Ray is the advanced interactive content, known as IME on Warner Titles and U-Control on Universal titles. This enables the studio to include such things as Picture in Picture, Pop Up storyboards, photo's, gimicky things like in-film maps - One of the most impressive examples I've seen so far is Miami Vice, where you press a button on the remote to access this content, and the whole HD image scales down slightly to offer options around the edge.

Blu-Ray's advanced content authoring is slightly lagging at present due to the lack of BD-J support to implement it. It's for this reason that Warner are currently not releasing certain titles such as Batman Begins on Blu-Ray as they don't want to be seen as putting out an inferior product for one format.

HTH
Guest 27297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 22:39   #3
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Blu-ray owners will face a slew of double-dips in the years to come, regarding both extra features and transfer quality. But 32 out of 35 HD-DVD's that I own manage to equal or better the extra features on their SD counterparts, whilst still providing a superior A/V experience.

Blu-ray will get there eventually, but at the moment Sony et al are happy to put films on disc with barely a sprinkling of extra features, and yet they still manage to treat the consumer like they're lucky to have that.

As soon as this attitude is rectified I'll join the Blu brigade, as I'm crazy about HD and won't be able to do without some of the treasures that lie in the Sony/MGM/Fox vaults, but right now I'm happy to whine about Blu-ray's deficiencies.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 14-02-2007 at 22:40.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 09:37   #4
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff
Blu-ray owners will face a slew of double-dips in the years to come, regarding both extra features and transfer quality. But 32 out of 35 HD-DVD's that I own manage to equal or better the extra features on their SD counterparts, whilst still providing a superior A/V experience.
This is why I've been painstakingly selective on the Blu-Ray discs I've bought - for example, buying the current Terminator 2 release is money down the drain for me - it should come with a big neon flashing sign saying 'feature-laden edition due in a bit'.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 10:12   #5
Guest 4923
Trusted User

Blu Ray

Blu Ray are being rather pathetic about this. People will choose the format which has more content on it which would be HD DVD or even just DVD!
Guest 4923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:45   #6
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I'm not a extra feature fan really anyway. When a film has transported me to another world for two hours I don't want to sit and watch a documentary about how they did it. Ruins the magic.

Love trailers though!
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 16:04   #7
Guest 27297
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21
I'm not a extra feature fan really anyway. When a film has transported me to another world for two hours I don't want to sit and watch a documentary about how they did it. Ruins the magic.

Love trailers though!
You must be right at home with blu-ray then
Old 15-02-2007, 16:18   #8
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Don't plan on getting Blue Ray jeff. Hopefully HD DVD oneday though?
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 17:29   #9
THX
Trusted User

Quote:

Love trailers though!
I agre with you chris21 i just got my US PS3 today and am more concerened with the quality of picture and sound on the main feature rather than have shed loads of extras.

In fact i dont think out of the 600 SD DVD's i have never actually seen an extra.

Last edited by THX; 15-02-2007 at 17:30.
THX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 22:54   #10
Guest 27297
Trusted User

Quote:
Don't plan on getting Blue Ray jeff. Hopefully HD DVD oneday though?
Fair enough, just a bit of gentle joking.

Personally I am a huge fan of extras, but then I've always been interested in how things are 'done' in the movies. There's very few movies I've bought on a blind buy, so normally I've seen the movie already. Of course I'll watch it again, but the extras add something 'new' to the package.

The Abyss for example, I enjoy the film, but the Documentary included is excellent.

Look at "Lost in La Mancha", it's basically the extras disc for a film that was never completed!

Finally got myself an Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on earlier this week, just now waiting on my Mission Impossible Box Set - probably turn up tomorrow at work ...

on my day off...

Old 16-02-2007, 02:42   #11
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
People will choose the format which has more content on it which would be HD DVD or even just DVD!
What are you talking about?
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 09:06   #12
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
What are you talking about?
That at the moment the HD-DVD (and regular DVD) discs tend to have more extra content than the Blu-Ray, fairly obvious (the topic of the thread is extras on HD discs). Though don't know if it really would be that much of a factor in most peoples purchasing decision.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 10:07   #13
Guest 4923
Trusted User

Extras

Yes, that's what I meant. I think people would be swayed by extras. They want more from their money. We have now been spoilt by them because of DVDs and now expect them. I know a friend who hardly ever watches the extras but refuse to buy a DVD that doesn't have any.
Guest 4923 is offline   Reply With Quote