Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2018, 10:51   #21
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Finally hit High Rank at the weekend. Had a 48 minute slug out with a Pink Rathian that was royally kicking my ass. My cat was literally stuck up a tree (he glitched climbing vines and got stuck there!) and my SOS yielded no rescue. Still on my old low rank armour setup she could 2-shot me no problem. I burned through everything I had, frantically grabbing Flashbugs where I could to flash her out of the sky and get some hits in. She was on me the entire time relentlessly attacking. Had to use those little crawl holes to get enough distance to heal. With two minutes to go I got her limping and managed a capture. Felt awesome.

Still not got my head around the way multiplayer works. I've joined other folks' SOS missions when grinding for parts via the search option but had sporadic response to my own flares. I think part of the issue is losing rewards if you join after 10 minutes. Means folks are incentivised to join SOS missions that have just started rather than ones in situ.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:57   #22
Barnacle
Trusted User

Is there any difference between the Xbox and PS4 versions (I have a Xbox One S and a PS4 Pro) ?
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:21   #23
Lucid
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Finally hit High Rank at the weekend. Had a 48 minute slug out with a Pink Rathian that was royally kicking my ass. My cat was literally stuck up a tree (he glitched climbing vines and got stuck there!) and my SOS yielded no rescue. Still on my old low rank armour setup she could 2-shot me no problem. I burned through everything I had, frantically grabbing Flashbugs where I could to flash her out of the sky and get some hits in. She was on me the entire time relentlessly attacking. Had to use those little crawl holes to get enough distance to heal. With two minutes to go I got her limping and managed a capture. Felt awesome.

Still not got my head around the way multiplayer works. I've joined other folks' SOS missions when grinding for parts via the search option but had sporadic response to my own flares. I think part of the issue is losing rewards if you join after 10 minutes. Means folks are incentivised to join SOS missions that have just started rather than ones in situ.
BiB - I think the best thing to do is to fire a flare as soon as you land in an area if you think you might need help further down the line. As you say, the longer you leave it the less insentive people have for joining.

I think it also matters as to what quest/investigation you are on. As I no help with the Pink Rathain as pat of the story (took me 3 attempts, the spawny git) but do get help when running via a side quest or investigation
Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 22:48   #24
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post
Is there any difference between the Xbox and PS4 versions (I have a Xbox One S and a PS4 Pro) ?
Not a great deal. I went with Xbox purely because I prefer that controller.

dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:10   #25
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
BiB - I think the best thing to do is to fire a flare as soon as you land in an area if you think you might need help further down the line. As you say, the longer you leave it the less insentive people have for joining.
I've been doing that running investigations and had an excellent take up rate of players.

Likewise, I've found using the SOS system excellent for finding groups when grinding specific monsters.

The downside is I've found it very difficult to find a multiplayer dedicated session where I get to hunt with the same folks in succession. The SOS system always results in disbanding after the one hunt. I miss the old round robin lobbies of the old days.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:19   #26
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Finally got this at a cheaper price & decided to see if it lives up to the hype.

First impressions are not good at all unfortunately. I've never played this series on any other format so the RPG/weapon systems is a huge, overwhelming mess of stats which the tutorial system in place has not explained well at all so far.

Also the initial cut-scenes & early "tutorial" missions have been really clunky & not entertaining at all. Please tell me it improves eventually & the game-systems start to make some kind of sense?!?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 13:19   #27
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I've never played this series on any other format so the RPG/weapon systems is a huge, overwhelming mess of stats which the tutorial system in place has not explained well at all so far.
Hopefully the upcoming Paul W.S. Anderson film adaptation will clarify a few things for you.
Old 17-05-2018, 14:28   #28
lentini
now with added cymbals

Quote:
Finally got this at a cheaper price & decided to see if it lives up to the hype.
It doesn't. It was the most disappointing thing I've played in a looooooong time.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 19:48   #29
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Gave it a go on gamepass and its disappointing given all the hype it has. Horrible clunky tutorials and menu. Weapon sponge enemies and you need to sharpen your sword repeatedly in a fight. Also the "quests" are just kill this monster so far
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04   #30
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Gave it a go on gamepass and its disappointing given all the hype it has. Horrible clunky tutorials and menu. Weapon sponge enemies and you need to sharpen your sword repeatedly in a fight. Also the "quests" are just kill this monster so far
Agreed, it remains the most puzzling, overhyped game I've ever played in recent memory. I struggled to find ANY redeeming features to keep me playing.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 16:11   #31
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Agreed, it remains the most puzzling, overhyped game I've ever played in recent memory. I struggled to find ANY redeeming features to keep me playing.
It has cult following who loves it and this is the one that is actually more streamline and welcoming to new players!