Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 16-06-2011, 15:07   #21
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlack View Post
The official word from the Beeb on the next series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

Summary: The guy in the Deerstalker did it, in the office block, with the screwdriver.
That.s just BBC News reporting on whats already been said and not an official BBC Press Release, and we may not even get that until after this series has finished in October (no doubt it will contain some sort of spoilers about who is or is not in Series 7).

Last edited by new; 16-06-2011 at 15:22.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 15:11   #22
ChrisBlack
GWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
That.s just BBC News reporting on whats already been said and not an official BBC Press Release, and we may not even get that until after this series has finished in October.
Oh right. I, naively perhaps, assumed (always dangerous) that BBC News would generally be quite accurate where it came to news about the BBC.
Old 17-06-2011, 17:22   #23
thescrounger
Trusted User

This has been posted on Who related places and a couple of people I know seem to think it rings true with what they have also heard.

Quote:
Disturbing times and news, I'm afraid. Private Eye got it right, absolutely spot on. In 2012 there will only be four episodes - not specials, just ordinary episodes. Followed by just ten episodes in the anniversary year - two of which will be the 50th anniversary special in November, and a Xmas special.

And that's it, that's all they're making. Moffat is too busy to write more - with a sitcom coming up that he's making with his wife, Sue Vertue, plus Sherlock 2 and probably Tintin 2, which he appears to be involved in storylining. He simply doesn't want to do any more Who than he has to. He has become 'unmanageable' and because Wenger and Willis are too wet and useless, Moffat is simply being allowed to do what he likes.

The top brass at the BBC have known about the hiatus for over a year now. And drama commissioner Ben Stephenson signed off the 14 eps over two years scenario over a YEAR ago - this has been brewing for a long time. And the BBC is carefully trying to manage the publicity by drip feeding out the bad news.

Worldwide are furious - BBC top brass are livid - what was once a powerhouse of regional production is being reduced to a joke. Wenger, Willis and Moffat may be endangering the future existence of the show. A cheer went up in BBC Wales when Wenger's resignation was announced - and people can't wait until September when he takes up his position at Channel 4.

The top brass of the BBC are now concerned that the show is only being made to appeal to fans, and is rapidly losing audiences. They want it to return to its Russell style appeal. Moffat's contract expires in 2013 and talk is currently not to renew,
Wales is in a shocking mess, and NO ONE is taking charge. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else.

Regards
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 18:00   #24
Guest 32525
Trusted User

I heard Moffat comes to work regularly drunk and smelling of cheap perfume. Apparently last week he strolled into the BBC Wales offices and locked himself in a room with the tapes for the rest of series 7 and is threatening to not only stop making Doctor Who but destroy the remaining episodes this series unless the BBC hire Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to help him plot Sherlock series 3.
Guest 32525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 18:04   #25
thescrounger
Trusted User

It's unlikely he'll be producing the show beyond 2013 from what I've heard.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 19:12   #26
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

the main issue i have with that is that it isn't losing audiences at all. it's as popular now as it was in seasons 2, 3 & 4.

So that puts the rest into doubt for me.

Last edited by hookbeak; 17-06-2011 at 19:12.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 20:27   #27
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

I don't get it. They have a good doctor, companion and writer - everything is now finally in place. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I would like the show to stay as it is for a while and build up a library of great modern Doctor Who episodes. Everyones' on a good thing and I don't see how they could let it fall apart when it is working so well...

Madness!

Last edited by JohnMac; 17-06-2011 at 20:27.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 21:35   #28
Guest 2484
sees little green people

I'm not sure what bits of the various stories to believe but I do rather get the impression that Moffat is spreading himself too thin rather than choosing one project and making sure it's absolutely right.
Guest 2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 21:40   #29
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,634 Times in 775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I'm not sure what bits of the various stories to believe but I do rather get the impression that Moffat is spreading himself too thin rather than choosing one project and making sure it's absolutely right.
Last year he worked on Who and wrote ONE episode of Sherlock, I'm pretty sure his work on Tin Tin was completed before he started working in the top Who job. I don't think he spread himself *that* thinly.

This year seems to be much the same, whereas next year it now sounds like he's got an additional project in his sit-com - that's the one that worries me out of all of this as it's an unknown.

Lots of speculation and supposition though going on with lots of 2+2=5 moments IMO.
Old 17-06-2011, 22:36   #30
jpig
Trusted User

Doctor Who is more popular than ever - both in the UK and around the world. TV viewing habits have changed so the overnight audiences are down a bit, but they are down on everything apart from 'live' stuff that you have to watch as it happens. People time shift, and use iplayer. And Doctor Who is the most watched show every on iPlayer.

So that makes the rest of that statement dubious. But I agree, no full series is a dissapointment. Just wish they would tell us what they're doing so we can get used to the idea and stop all this silly speculation - they clearly know!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 22:33   #31
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

I'm not sure about the Tintin thing since it was confirmed a while back that he turned down any further work on it. The first Tintin film had an original draft turned in by Moffat, which was then re-written by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish because Moffat took the Who job instead.

I met two separate people who work for the BBC a while back and in just generally chatting with them (Not about Who in particular) they both mentioned that the show was in trouble, and this was before Season 6 even aired. More than anything I think its the expense that's causing the BBC concern.

Budget has always been the show's biggest enemy, I think even RTD talked candidly about how good episodes were turned to mediocre ones because the budget wouldn't allow them to do what they needed to do.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 22:53   #32
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

It's crazy that expense is a concern when the show is *hugely* in profit. That's the BBC for you I guess....
Old 18-06-2011, 23:37   #33
Guest 1471

14 over two years? Better not be true, it'll kill the show and cause riots in the streets (well, I'll kick off anyway!)
Guest 1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 07:37   #34
Harold1066
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
It's crazy that expense is a concern when the show is *hugely* in profit. That's the BBC for you I guess....
BBC are losing money hand over fist, the lastest is that either BBC4 goes or the F1 http://twitpic.com/5dggsr/full so guess Dr Who has to fall in line too
Old 19-06-2011, 07:56   #35
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

I wish they would kill off Eastenders. There's a money wasting black hole of a show. It is depressing and seems to only sell the message that antagonising other people is the expected norm. Some people even in my own family are only happy if they are miserable and they are regular Eastenders viewers - I sense a connection.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:45   #36
DrVenkman

I don't think there's even a reason for BBC4 to exist. There's barely a reason for BBC3 to be there. Hell just close them both and move Charlie Brooker over to BBC2.

Out of curiosity we keep hearing that Who is popular the world over but is it? I know BBC America show it and it does well, but then are the BBC really seeing any money from that? It does mainly seem the problems stem from money, since there's been rumours for a while that the show is having its budget cut.

Here's what'll happen. The BBC will slowly phase Who out, talking some nonsense about preserving its "Legacy" or some such and make out it was a mutual decision from all parties, and then in a few years it'll probably come back in some form.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
Old 19-06-2011, 13:49   #37
jpig
Trusted User

BBC4 no reason to exist? :O It's the only BBC channel that does what the BBC is there to do: make programmes that commercial broadcasters would never make. For that reason alone, it must stay!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 15:05   #38
DrVenkman

What I mean is that isn't the BBC schedule littered with repeats? They're running 4 channels on 2 channels worth of programming.
Old 19-06-2011, 15:35   #39
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Agreed, 3 and 4 could easily be fitted into 1 and 2.

Watch the beeb have the budget to send half of their crew and presenters to glasto next week and then tell me they're worried about costs.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 15:38   #40
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
Out of curiosity we keep hearing that Who is popular the world over but is it? I know BBC America show it and it does well, but then are the BBC really seeing any money from that?
Top gear and Doctor Who are the BBC's most profitable programmes, making over Ł51 million profit last year.