Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 17-03-2009, 23:22   #41
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
The Gallyminnus (sp?), the gay prancy dinos, in Jurassic Park were all CGI weren't they? Looked incredible at the time, and still holds up quite well.
What was so gay about them ?
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:29   #42
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,602 Times in 839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Yeah, the CG for the T-1000 still looks incredible. Some of it is a little cheesy, but most of it is great and there are even a few genuinely photo realistic moments too. It's hard to believe that T2 is creeping ever closer to its third decade.

And where's Jurassic Park in HD already? I wanna see how those Dino's stack up in 1080p.
Nah.. T-1000 isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it's good for it's time. But I would hardly call any of it photorealistic.

The gorilla and "Digi-Bacon" in Hollowman is still pretty good, even on blu-ray.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:36   #43
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Obviously, when the best CGI is onscreen, you shouldn't even notice (or realise) it's there - things like water, fire, backdrops, cityscapes, etc.

But that could be for a whole new thread.

Another thing that blew my socks off was the creature in The Relic when I saw it for the first time in the cinema 12 years ago.

The creature in that is great, but there's one particularly magnificent bit near the end where it grabs hold of a bloke and rips his head off slowly, all in one long, continuous shot with no cutaways. First time I'd seen an effect like that, and particularly well done, I thought (and still do).
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:36   #44
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Like I said, the T-1000 has a few photo realistic CG moments. They're just that: moments, yet in those few seconds CG fulfils its potential. The rest of it ain't perfect, but it still wows me. I love T2.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:44   #45
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheDance View Post
Another thing that blew my socks off was the creature in The Relic when I saw it for the first time in the cinema 12 years ago.

The creature in that is great, but there's one particularly magnificent bit near the end where it grabs hold of a bloke and rips his head off slowly, all in one long, continuous shot with no cutaways. First time I'd seen an effect like that, and particularly well done, I thought (and still do).
I remember that! It was quite a decent creature.

Mind you, I quite liked the CGI werewolves in An American Werewolf in Paris.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:48   #46
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Obviously, when the best CGI is onscreen, you shouldn't even notice (or realise) it's there - things like water, fire, backdrops, cityscapes, etc..
Forrest Gump is very good for that. Film is riddled with CGI you'd never imagine (especially all that stuff with Lieutenant Daaaan's legggs).
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 23:55   #47
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I remember that! It was quite a decent creature.

Mind you, I quite liked the CGI werewolves in An American Werewolf in Paris.
Please sir, step away from the thread. Lay down your half-cocked opinions and back away slowly!
Old 18-03-2009, 06:33   #48
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Please sir, step away from the thread. Lay down your half-cocked opinions and back away slowly!
Yeah, I know .

Don't get me wrong, American Werewolf In London is one of my favs, and nothing beats the old school makeup fx in that - but I like Werewolves, and didn't think those CG Paris ones were too badly done at all - for the time, anyway. I certainly found them far more entertaining than the bloody melty effects in T2.

Last edited by Ratfink; 18-03-2009 at 06:50.
Old 18-03-2009, 10:28   #49
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Also, if anyone listens to the 'VFX show' podcast, they discussed COM in an old episode. When you watch that film again... When they are on a bus heading towards the refuge camp, and some helicopters fly past outside the window. The helicopters are CG and you'll think they look good. But actually EVERYTHING outside those windows was CG. the windows were green screen for the entire scene. It's just amazing.
It's fascinating, isn't it, when you discover quite how much FX are integrated into shots/scenes that you simply wouldn't even think about/notice. People, rightly, are talking about the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park, which I still think is a benchmark in using FX in an action sequence. The full-body CGI T-rex is stunning, but I remember it being the little detail that it's a fully CGI jeep (when he bites at the tires) that impressed me: I'd just assumed it was a practical jeep that had been rigged to move in time with the CGI rex. Likewise, with War of Worlds, I was amazed to see how much CGI was used in the first Tripod scene - not just the machine rising from the ground (obviously) but how much ILM manipulated the genuine location footage (the church splitting, the road crumbling, cars flying, etc). Again, I'd assumed it was am expensive set, rigged to fall apart, not actual location footage. Likewise, the crumbling bridge shot shortly after.

Jar Jar is an impressive CGI creation, but I never quite understood why it *needed* to be CGI? I mean, it's a humanoid shaped creature, and Star Wars is littered with impressive men-in-suits aliens; there was nothing in Jar Jar's design and 'performance' that couldn't have been achieved likewise. There are better CGI critters in that film, Wato (sp?) being one.

I feel a little similar about Gollum - it's a magnificent digital creation and character, for sure, but I'm still not 100% sold on Jackson's assertation that it could only be achieved via CGI. That said, it's realised with amazing skill, so what do I know?!!! I'm less impressed with his Kong, simply because I'm less impressed with the movie, as a whole, which does feel a little like CGI/FX overkill in places. I'd rather have seen Jackson make Kong on a smaller budget, as he would have done pre-LOTR, simply because I think Jackson wouldn't have been as over-indulgent.

Davy Jones is rightly lauded as a great CGI creation, but I thought the skeleton pirates in Black Pearl were just as effective - and better used!
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:33   #50
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
Yeah, I know .

Don't get me wrong, American Werewolf In London is one of my favs, and nothing beats the old school makeup fx in that - but I like Werewolves, and didn't think those CG Paris ones were too badly done at all - for the time, anyway. I certainly found them far more entertaining than the bloody melty effects in T2.
I'm with you Ratty - I think we're in a minority though. I saw AAWIP at the cinema and really loved it, certainly didn't think it tarnished the memory of the first film like a lot of horror film snobs seem to think!
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:42   #51
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm with you Ratty - I think we're in a minority though. I saw AAWIP at the cinema and really loved it, certainly didn't think it tarnished the memory of the first film like a lot of horror film snobs seem to think!
I don't think any sequel of remake can tarnish a true classic. Werewolf in Paris still was rubbish though. I really wanted to like it too, because I thought Anthony Wallers earlier horror film, Mute Witness was quite promising.
Old 18-03-2009, 10:45   #52
Soprano
Walking the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
What was so gay about them ?
All the dinosaurs in the park were female
Old 18-03-2009, 10:46   #53
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano View Post
All the dinosaurs in the park were female

Are you implying there was girl on girl reptile action we missed out on ?
Old 18-03-2009, 10:56   #54
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I really wanted to like it too, because I thought Anthony Wallers earlier horror film, Mute Witness was quite promising.
Totally! Waller showed some serious potential with Mute Witness, which was a nift little idea (if a little unoriginal) executed pretty well. AAWIP was just tonally completely wrong, and a real disappointment. Whatever happened to Waller? Did AAWIP kill his career?
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:05   #55
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

^ Well, his next project looks kind of interesting. A psychological horror called Nine Miles Down.

[EDIT. Just seen trailer - not too impressed]

Last edited by Ratfink; 18-03-2009 at 11:13.