Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 10-07-2006, 11:55   #21
PlexShaw
XBL/PSN/iOS: PlexShaw

What's with all the negative comments?

I thought King Kong was superb and that the three hours flew by. Guess I'm in a minority...
PlexShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12   #22
Guest 23584
Banned

must admit i thought it was rubbish also. Got bored very quickly.
Guest 23584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18   #23
Psycho
Trusted User

I liked it. I'm hoping this Extended version might come with a Weta statue like the LoTRs box sets!

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:25   #24
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexShaw

I thought King Kong was superb and that the three hours flew by. Guess I'm in a minority...
Well I thought it was enjoyable enough (not as good as I would have expected mind) but if there was ever a film that wasn't asking for an extended edition its Kong.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:27   #25
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

all I can say is I told you so. check the original kong thread...
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:43   #26
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexShaw

I have noticed when a film gets released and peope rave about it how good it is. Then the DVD comes out and the same peope then say how rubbish it is. Then cue a dozen posts saying the same thing. I find it quite amusing.

I bet the same thing will happen with POTC 2 eventually.

I had no problems with the pacing of King and I also think 3 hours whent by very quickly. However, I don't think anything can add to it ATM. I will wait for reviews that confirm the added scenes.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:51   #27
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Another one here who really enjoyed Kong. I got the R3 and really enjoyed that as well when i watched it. I'll be definitely getting the EE as well.

I can see why people have a problem with it, its not effortlessly brillant like the LOTR films are (cue loads of posts by people saying they hated the rubbish LOTR films ), and you've got to look past a few of its problems but overall I thought it was excellent.

I don't mind a longer film at all, if its a good film then 3+ hours is no prob to me at all. I just enjoy seeing some geniuely quality acting and emotion in a blockbuster, compared to the dross that gets stuck up on screen and is little more than lots of CGI and explosions.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 13:06   #28
Guest 55583
Trusted User

[QUOTE=nwgarratt]I have noticed when a film gets released and peope rave about it how good it is. Then the DVD comes out and the same peope then say how rubbish it is. Then cue a dozen posts saying the same thing. I find it quite amusing.

[QUOTE]

Well to be fair there are quite a lot of people already saying POTC 2 is rubbish!

I posted how disappointing I thought Kong was when theatrically released. Three hours of my life I won't get back - I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Jackson's inability to edit and tell a coherent story extended even further. This is not like LOTR where he'd cut so much of the key emotional parts of the story to ensure he got all his extended battle footage into the movies that the extended versions were pretty much compulsory to make sense of the characters and plot.

But you bring up a fair point. The initial reviews of each of the LOTR films were gushing to put it mildly, ditto for the third Star Wars movie. Then when the DVDs came out the critics started being more realistic, threw off the hype and pretty much dropped each rating by a star. I guess the lesson to be learnt is that marketing works!
Guest 55583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 13:54   #29
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt
I have noticed when a film gets released and peope rave about it how good it is. Then the DVD comes out and the same peope then say how rubbish it is. Then cue a dozen posts saying the same thing. I find it quite amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian
But you bring up a fair point. The initial reviews of each of the LOTR films were gushing to put it mildly, ditto for the third Star Wars movie. Then when the DVDs came out the critics started being more realistic, threw off the hype and pretty much dropped each rating by a star. I guess the lesson to be learnt is that marketing works!
That happened with the Star Wars films, but definately not Lord of the Rings.

Gary A

Last edited by GAmbrose; 10-07-2006 at 13:55.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 14:37   #30
staffyman
Gamertag: Staffyman

I thought Kong was ok but, imo, could do with more material removed than added as it did drag to some degree.

I can only hope that if he is going to add material back in, it'll be one of those (very) rare cases where the added material restores a 'natural flow' to the whole piece and therefore makes it seem shorter. If that makes any sense?

Maybe it'll finally answer the question of why Jamie Bell's character is made to seem so important in the build-up to Skull Island, with absolutely no pay-off that I could see?
staffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 14:59   #31
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffyman
Maybe it'll finally answer the question of why Jamie Bell's character is made to seem so important in the build-up to Skull Island, with absolutely no pay-off that I could see?
He wasn't important. He was just the youngest on the ship with people such as Hayes looking out for him.
Old 10-07-2006, 15:29   #32
SqueakyG
Trusted User

My preferred cut of the film would be about 30 minutes shorter. I expect this extended edition to do what the LOTR EE's did: add some great scenes that should have been in the theatrical cut to begin with, but also many scenes that are boring and useless.

My preferred cuts of the LOTR films would be 3 hours each: removing about 20 mins from each theatrical cuts, and adding about 20 mins from the EE's, to make better films of 3 hours each.

Last edited by SqueakyG; 10-07-2006 at 15:32.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 15:40   #33
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffyman
Yeah. From what I remember (only saw this at the cinema), it seemed to indicate that he might have come from Skull Island... or had been there.

I can't really remember... can anyone help?

I think they found him at sea or something...

Psycho
Old 10-07-2006, 15:57   #34
Mr Blobby
Single,sane and solvent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeka
Maybe they'll show how they got Kong on the boat in this one
They used a very,very big banana.
Mr Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 15:58   #35
staffyman
Gamertag: Staffyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt
He wasn't important. He was just the youngest on the ship with people such as Hayes looking out for him.
I agree he wasn't important, but they seemed to spend a lot of time building up his character and paying it off with nothing.

From the way he was built up I expected him to actually do something other than get rescued all the time and then disappear in the third act. The time spent on his character is somewhat disproportionate to his worth in the film as it exists now. I'm hoping a further cut will either pay his character off or reduce it to the background.
staffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 16:06   #36
SIMON ADEBISI

I want a full 30 mins of Kong figure skating on the frozen pond!
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 16:10   #37
Psycho
Trusted User

Maybe this will be added in (taken from IMDB):

"Considering the film's running time, it could have possibly been longer. According to the book The Making of King Kong, there was a scene written and filmed where Denham, Driscoll and the Venture crew build rafts to cross the swamp, only to be attacked by an aquatic creature (a "Piranhadon"). There was also mention of a scene where Lumpy the cook shoots a large flightless bird."

Psycho
Old 10-07-2006, 16:18   #38
Guest 33006
Trusted User

I'm just hoping they improve the CG in the Brontosaurus chase, was Jackson going for a back projection look or what?
Other than that I enjoyed this film and I held off for this release as I didn't really have a problem with the length.
Guest 33006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 16:20   #39
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga2k1
I'm just hoping they improve the CG in the Brontosaurus chase, was Jackson going for a back projection look or what?
I wasn't too keen on that either. It just looked like they were running on the spot and someone else was waving things about to cast shadows.

Jurasic Park looked 100 x better and that was made ages ago!

Psycho
Old 10-07-2006, 16:35   #40
nwgarratt
Trusted User

I had no problems with any of the CGI. It looked fine to me.