Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-09-2005, 18:34   #41
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
I don't think Play honour misprices.
That's not my point; the point is that it now appears to be coming from Universal. Anyway, no point in second guessing what's coming until we see the specs, but let's just say I've got a bad feeling for the R2 edition. For R2 purchasers sake, I hope I'm wrong...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 18:37   #42
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quite glad I went for the R4 tin now.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 19:03   #43
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
I don't think Play honour misprices.
They usually do actually.

I have the R2 Kong SE & box set on pre-order at Play and they've adjusted the price downward for both items - the box set has also been reduced by £1 to £22.99.

I also have the R1 Tin & box set with Son of../Joe Young on order at Play USA - it was cheaper to order the box set for Son of../Joe Young than to buy them separately!

I'm expecting to click the cancel order button for the R2 releases when the specs finally show up!
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 19:21   #44
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

To answer an earlier question; from Davis DVD:

A lot of people have been asking about Paramount's upcoming November 22nd release of the 1976 King Kong remake (the one with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange). Specifically, if this release will be a special edition with deleted scenes, commentary, etc. And unfortunately, the answer is no. This is the same disc that is currently available, only repackaged with a new cover. Be sure to check out newly posted back cover art for this and the 1933 original in our gallery section.

And those back covers:

King Kong SE (1933) (ain't that purty?)
King Kong (1976)
Old 16-09-2005, 20:21   #45
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse
They usually do actually.

I have the R2 Kong SE & box set on pre-order at Play and they've adjusted the price downward for both items - the box set has also been reduced by £1 to £22.99.

I also have the R1 Tin & box set with Son of../Joe Young on order at Play USA - it was cheaper to order the box set for Son of../Joe Young than to buy them separately!

I'm expecting to click the cancel order button for the R2 releases when the specs finally show up!
That reminds me, I've yet to place an order for the boxset, I've got the Tin on order from DVDImport.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 20:46   #46
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The latest press release reveals some new info...

One of the Greatest Adventures of All Time and Warner Home Video's Most Requested Title Makes Long-Awaited DVD Debut

KING KONG

Special Features Include New Documentary on Legendary Kong Creator Merian C. Cooper, New Seven-Part Documentary on the Making of Kong, including 'The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence'.

Also Available: Four-Disc Collector's Set Featuring King Kong and New-to-DVD Titles The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young

Burbank, CA (August 8, 2005) - On November 22, Warner Home Video's most requested title, the original 1933 RKO classic King Kong, will debut in a Two-Disc Special Edition and a Two-Disc Collector's Edition DVD. Now newly restored from rare nitrate film elements and digitally mastered in glorious black and white, King Kong features extensive bonus content, including an insightful seven-part documentary with Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson (King Kong (2005), The Lord of the Rings trilogy); commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong; and a feature length documentary on Kong creator Merian C. Cooper, directed by renowned filmmaker Kevin Brownlow. The Collector's Edition DVD will be released in a collectible keepsake tin with a 20-page reproduction of the original 1933 souvenir program, King Kong original one-sheet reproduction postcards and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of a vintage theatrical poster.

The King Kong Two-Disc Special Edition DVD will be available for $26.99 SRP/$19.95 MAP and the Collector's Edition will sell for $39.98 SRP.

The King Kong Collection, featuring two more new-to-DVD titles - The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young - along with the King Kong Two-Disc Special Edition DVD - will also be available for $39.92 SRP. RKO collaboration from Kong directors Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, The Last Days of Pompeii, will be released simultaneously. These three additional titles will each be sold individually for $19.97 SRP/$14.95 MAP.

About King Kong

With equal parts adventure, horror and old-fashioned romance, King Kong is a milestone of movie-making that has endured for more than seven decades. Recently named as one of the 100 Best Films of All Time by Time Magazine, King Kong premiered in New York City in 1933. The film was an instant success, breaking box-office records to become one of the top moneymakers of the 1930s. King Kong's state-of-the-art visual effects, entertaining story and touching conclusion captivated audiences and started a worldwide love affair with the giant ape.

A film ahead of its time, King Kong defied the technological limitations of the '30s. Special effects pioneer Willis O'Brien?s revolutionary stop-motion animation was not only technically brilliant but also highly imaginative and continues to impress even in today's era of computer-generated wizardry. Directed and produced by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, with a rousing score by Max Steiner, King Kong stars Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot and Fay Wray, whose memorable performance as damsel in distress Ann Darrow cemented her place in pop culture and earned her the nickname "The Queen of Scream."

DVD Details

King Kong (1933)

Robert Armstrong stars as movie producer Carl Denham who travels to a mysterious, uncharted island in search of material for his next film. Also aboard are unemployed actress Ann Darrow (Fay Wray) and adventurer Jack Driscoll (Bruce Cabot).

Once the crew reaches Skull Island they discover it is home to prehistoric beasts including Kong, a giant ape who becomes obsessed with the crew's blonde starlet. King Kong teems with memorable moments, from the audience's first glance at the giant ape to his last stand atop the Empire State Building.

DVD Special Features Include:

Disc 1: The Movie

• Original 1933 Film classic in Glorious Black and White, Newly Restored and Digitally Mastered
• Commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong
• I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper - 2005 documentary
• Merian C. Cooper Movies Trailer Gallery
• Subtitles: English, French and Spanish (Feature Film Only)

Disc 2: King-Sized Special Features

• RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World

-- The Origins of "King Kong"
-- Willis O'Brien and "Creation"
-- Cameras Roll on Kong, The Eighth Wonder
-- A Milestone in Visual Effects
-- Passion, Sound and Fury
-- The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence
-- King Kong's Legacy

• Creation Test Footage with Commentary by Ray Harryhausen

The Son of Kong (1933)

The filmmakers who created King Kong kept the excitement going with this sequel released the same year as the original. Robert Armstrong reprises his role as Denham, paired with a new damsel in distress, played by Helen Mack. After the two rescue Kong Jr. from a quicksand pit, they are rewarded with his devotion and protection when he defends them from a variety of prehistoric monsters. Composer Max Steiner and special effects expert Willis O'Brien return to provide the film's score and stunning stop-motion animation.

• Theatrical Trailer

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Ernest B. Schoedsack and Merian C. Cooper re-team with King Kong veteran Robert Armstrong for this touching film about a young girl and her pet gorilla. Featuring state-of-the art special effects, Mighty Joe Young seamlessly combined stop-motion animation with live action sequences to capture the 1949 Academy Award for Special Effects. Supervised by the legendary Willis O'Brien, the film's technical staff also included a young Ray Harryhausen working on his first full-length feature film.

• Commentary by Ray Harryhausen, Terry Moore and Ken Ralston
• New Featurette A Conversation with Ray Harryhausen and the Chiodo Brothers
• New Featurette Ray Harryhausen and Mighty Joe Young
• Theatrical Trailer

The Last Days of Pompeii (1935)

The grandeur of an era and the terror of nature at its deadliest come to the screen in this classic starring Preston Foster, Basil Rathbone, Alan Hale and Louis Calhern. Foster plays a simple blacksmith, Marcus, who rises to glory and riches and crosses paths with Jesus and Pontius Pilate. However, Marcus's wealth means nothing when Mt. Vesuvius awakes and releases its fury on the doomed Roman city.

King Kong Collection
Street Date: November 22, 2005
Four-Disc Collector's Set
Pricing $39.92 SRP
King Kong Two-Disc Special Edition $26.99 SRP/ $19.95 MAP
King Kong Two-Disc Collector's Edition $39.98 SRP
Additional Individual titles $19.97 SRP/ $14.95 MAP

King Kong Two-Disc Special Edition
Rating: Not Rated
B & W
English: Mono
Dolby Digital
Run Time: 104 minutes

King Kong Two-Disc Collector's Edition
B&W
Dolby Digital
Run Time: 104 minutes

The Son of Kong
B&W
Dolby Digital
Run Time: 70 minutes

Mighty Joe Young
B&W
Dolby Digital
Run Time: 94 minutes

The Last Days of Pompeii
B&W
Dolby Digital
Run Time: 96 minutes
Old 18-09-2005, 21:56   #47
Guest 47807
Trusted User

deleted

Last edited by Douglas R; 18-09-2005 at 21:59.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 00:30   #48
Guest 46615
Trusted User

Note from a lurker: The R4 tin release has been cancelled permanently. According to my contacts, it wasn't even a "lock" that it would be released in Aust. to begin with. EzyDVD have it listed as "release date unknown". I would presume rights is the issue - the RKO library isn't owned by WHV here.
Guest 46615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 07:32   #49
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Thanks for that TW, at least the EzyDVD description of the tin gives us a little more useful info;

The Mystery of the Spider Sequence (approx. 15 mins); This piece is a documentary in three parts that leads up to the 25-second recreation as a pay-off. The first part covers the legend of the Spider Sequence, how it supposedly appeared in the original cut of the film (Ray Bradbury saw it as a child), how it was edited out, lost for decades, rumored to exist and sought by fans and historians alike. The second part is Peter Jackson and his team taking on the job of recreating it (interviews, etc.), Weta (sic) studying the only existing photos to build the spiders and miniature environments, the NZ Miniatures Dept. shooting the sets and skilled stop-motion animators bringing the creatures to life. Finally, the third section and pay-off is the recreation cut together with sound effects and Max Steiner music.

Last edited by John Hodson; 19-09-2005 at 07:43.
Old 19-09-2005, 07:39   #50
anephric
Kidney Thief

The R4's deffo off? Snagafrassit. Time to go elsewhere.

Why is life never easy? Tell me, why!
Old 20-09-2005, 18:07   #51
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

King Kong-tastic....

Coming your way from Universal in R1 at the end of November; King Kong vs. Godzilla, King Kong Escapes plus a King Kong vs. Godzilla / King Kong Escapes 2-Pack.

Let's all go ape...
Old 20-09-2005, 18:19   #52
Spectre07
Trusted User

The Kong in those Godzilla films looks awful...awful...
Old 21-09-2005, 15:58   #53
new
Sand Dab

So where are you all getting your King Kong (1933) 2 Disc Collector's Tin from?

Cheapest that I've seen is PLAYUSA for £17.99 inc del.

Anywhere cheaper than that?

Last edited by new; 21-09-2005 at 16:00.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 16:00   #54
anephric
Kidney Thief

Hopefully CD-Wow will stick them out cheaper, if they stock it.
Old 21-09-2005, 20:28   #55
Spectre07
Trusted User

I'm getting the tin from DVDImport but haven't decided on where I'm getting the set.
Old 21-09-2005, 20:35   #56
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Import for the Collecton for me, but no tin for me, the three films are enough.

BTW, the Bits is reporting that The Last Days of Pompeii has been postponed, no reason given by Warners. Wondered why I couldn't find it anywhere...
Old 21-09-2005, 20:56   #57
Spectre07
Trusted User

But the tin is so purdey.
Old 26-09-2005, 07:33   #58
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Those that feared the Universal R2 release, well, some of your worst nightmares are being realised. From www.zetaminor.com:

A licensing quirk means that it falls to Universal Pictures UK to release the 1933 version of King Kong in the UK, rather than Warner Home Video, who are releasing the American editions. This is rather unfortunate for UK consumers, of course, because Universal Pictures UK have a terrible reputation among DVD enthusiasts. If you didn't know why that is, then you're about to find out.

I won't dwell on the various King Kong DVD sets being released by WHV in the US, suffice to say that there are three different sets, all featuring what is expected to be a meticulously-restored print, and packed with what should be worthwhile bonus features like commentary tracks, Turner Classic Movies and BBC-produced documentaries, and, in the case of the four-disc set, two classic films that the film spawned, Mighty Joe Young and The Son of Kong. You might as well put your orders in now, because the Warner Home Video sets wipe the floor with the Universal Pictures offerings.

Universal Pictures is releasing two editions of the film on December the 5th, both featuring the restored version of the film.

The first is a single-disc edition, which will apparently only have a trailer for Peter Jackson's remake as a bonus feature. It doesn't even appear that the creaky twelve-year-old documentary It Was Beauty Killed The Beast, which is on the current edition, will be included. This disc will have an RRP of £9.99.

There will also be a four-disc edition. That's where the good news ends! This set will feature the It Was Beauty Killed The Beast documentary, a twelve page collector's booklet, and two additional films: King Kong Escapes and King Kong Versus Godzilla. The fourth disc - and I advise you to clear away any sharp objects before continuing - will contain a colourised version of the film. RRP for this set is £29.99.

Now we know why the R2 is being punted out so cheaply...

Last edited by John Hodson; 26-09-2005 at 07:33.
Old 26-09-2005, 08:22   #59
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Those that feared the Universal R2 release, well, some of your worst nightmares are being realised. From www.zetaminor.com:

A licensing quirk means that it falls to Universal Pictures UK to release the 1933 version of King Kong in the UK, rather than Warner Home Video, who are releasing the American editions. This is rather unfortunate for UK consumers, of course, because Universal Pictures UK have a terrible reputation among DVD enthusiasts. If you didn't know why that is, then you're about to find out.

I won't dwell on the various King Kong DVD sets being released by WHV in the US, suffice to say that there are three different sets, all featuring what is expected to be a meticulously-restored print, and packed with what should be worthwhile bonus features like commentary tracks, Turner Classic Movies and BBC-produced documentaries, and, in the case of the four-disc set, two classic films that the film spawned, Mighty Joe Young and The Son of Kong. You might as well put your orders in now, because the Warner Home Video sets wipe the floor with the Universal Pictures offerings.

Universal Pictures is releasing two editions of the film on December the 5th, both featuring the restored version of the film.

The first is a single-disc edition, which will apparently only have a trailer for Peter Jackson's remake as a bonus feature. It doesn't even appear that the creaky twelve-year-old documentary It Was Beauty Killed The Beast, which is on the current edition, will be included. This disc will have an RRP of £9.99.

There will also be a four-disc edition. That's where the good news ends! This set will feature the It Was Beauty Killed The Beast documentary, a twelve page collector's booklet, and two additional films: King Kong Escapes and King Kong Versus Godzilla. The fourth disc - and I advise you to clear away any sharp objects before continuing - will contain a colourised version of the film. RRP for this set is £29.99.

Now we know why the R2 is being punted out so cheaply...
I don't know if I'm more angry with Warner/Universal for such a shoddy way to treat the R2 market, or with myself for getting my hopes up, against bitter experience. Sigh

R1 it is then
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 15:52   #60
Guest 31532
Hmmm!

Same here, gone for the R1 tin. The R2 sounds disgusting.

Guest 31532 is offline   Reply With Quote