Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 05-08-2005, 23:09   #21
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre07
So they're good for a Kong-a-thon, or rather a giant ape-o-thon.
I would definitely say so, yes.

Ray Harryhausen got his big break on Mighty Joe Young and does some wonderful character animation on the title character.

EDIT:

The features listed on that ezydvd link suggest that the 'Spider Sequence' has indeed been recreated for the DVD, as a deleted scene at least!

Last edited by CrazyHorse; 05-08-2005 at 23:18.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 19:15   #22
Spectre07
Trusted User

Here's some artwork:

Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 19:20   #23
Spectre07
Trusted User

and here are the other titles:

Old 13-08-2005, 07:46   #24
Guest 19096
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
Oooh! a 'Collector's Edition box set packaged in a collectable tin'.

The 4 disc collectors set also appeals to me but what are the other two films in the set any good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse
You've never seen Son of Kong or Mighty Joe Young?!

While neither belong in the same all time classic category as Kong, they're both good fun. If you're a fan of early FX & stop motion work then they're a must buy.

Son of Kong was a rush job and will never be considered a great film, but it's watchable enough. Mighty Joe Young on the other hand is a classic in its own right. It's may be a more kid friendly retreat of King Kong but it has tremendous charm, moves along at a cracking pace and the animation, which despite the top billing of Willis O'Brien was mostly the work of Ray Harryhausen, is a considerable step up from King Kong. The climax at the orphanage is still a jaw dropping achievement.
Guest 19096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 10:25   #25
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The set is a wonderful surprise; I can only echo Reno's comments about SOK and MJY, the latter may be kiddie friendly, but it's a wonderful tale wonderfully told. The release of The Last Days of Pompeii is just the icing on the cake.

Full specs from DVD Times:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the original 1933 RKO classic King Kong for 22nd November 2005. Newly restored from rare nitrate film elements and digitally mastered in glorious black and white, King Kong features extensive bonus content, including a seven-part documentary with Oscar(R)-winning director Peter Jackson (King Kong (2005)); commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong; and a feature length documentary on creator Merian C. Cooper, directed by renowned filmmaker Kevin Brownlow.

Available in Two-Disc Special Edition ($26.99 SRP) and Two-Disc Collector's Edition ($39.98 SRP) versions the latter will be released in a collectible keepsake tin with a 20-page reproduction of the original souvenir program, King Kong original one-sheet reproduction postcards and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of a vintage theatrical poster. Both feature identical disc content.

The King Kong Collection, featuring two more new-to-DVD titles -- The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young -- plus the King Kong Two-Disc Special Edition DVD -- will also be available for $39.92 SRP. RKO collaboration from Kong directors Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, The Last Days of Pompeii, will be released simultaneously. These three additional titles will each be sold individually for $19.97 SRP.

King Kong (1933)
Robert Armstrong stars as movie producer Carl Denham who travels to a mysterious, uncharted island in search of material for his next film. Also aboard are unemployed actress Ann Darrow (Fay Wray) and adventurer Jack Driscoll (Bruce Cabot). Once the crew reaches Skull Island they discover it is home to prehistoric beasts including Kong, a giant ape who becomes obsessed with the crew’s blonde starlet. King Kong teems with memorable moments, from the audience’s first glance at the giant ape to his last stand atop the Empire State Building.

DVD Special Features Include:

Disc 1: The Movie
Original 1933 Film classic in Glorious Black and White, Newly Restored and Digitally Mastered
Commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong
I’m Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper -- 2005 documentary
Merian C. Cooper Movies Trailer Gallery
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish (Feature Film Only)

Disc 2: King-Sized Special Features
RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World: 8 Part Documentary...
The Origins of "King Kong"
Willis O’Brien and "Creation"
Cameras Roll on Kong, The Eighth Wonder
A Milestone in Visual Effects
Passion, Sound and Fury
The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence
King Kong’s Legacy
Creation Test Footage with Commentary by Ray Harryhausen

The Son of Kong (1933)
The filmmakers who created King Kong kept the excitement going with this sequel released the same year as the original. Robert Armstrong reprises his role as Denham, paired with a new damsel in distress, played by Helen Mack. After the two rescue Kong Jr. from a quicksand pit, they are rewarded with his devotion and protection when he defends them from a variety of prehistoric monsters. Composer Max Steiner and special effects expert Willis O’Brien return to provide the film’s score and stunning stop-motion animation.

Theatrical Trailer

The Last Days of Pompeii (1935)
The grandeur of an era and the terror of nature at its deadliest come to the screen in this classic starring Preston Foster, Basil Rathbone, Alan Hale and Louis Calhern. Foster plays a simple blacksmith, Marcus, who rises to glory and riches and crosses paths with Jesus and Pontius Pilate. However, Marcus’s wealth means nothing when Mt. Vesuvius awakes and releases its fury on the doomed Roman city.

Mighty Joe Young (1949)
Ernest B. Schoedsack and Merian C. Cooper re-team with King Kong veteran Robert Armstrong for this touching film about a young girl and her pet gorilla. Featuring state-of-the art special effects, Mighty Joe Young seamlessly combined stop-motion animation with live action sequences to capture the 1949 Academy Award® for Special Effects. Supervised by the legendary Willis O’Brien, the film’s technical staff also included a young Ray Harryhausen working on his first full-length feature film.

Commentary by Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston and Terry Moore
New Featurette Ray Harryhausen and The Chioda Brothers
New Featurette Ray Harryhausen and Mighty Joe Young
Theatrical Trailer
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 18:26   #26
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
The set is a wonderful surprise; I can only echo Reno's comments about SOK and MJY, the latter may be kiddie friendly, but it's a wonderful tale wonderfully told. The release of The Last Days of Pompeii is just the icing on the cake. [/I]
I'm definately getting the collection but why is The Last Days of Pompeii part of it?

Last edited by Spectre07; 13-08-2005 at 18:27.
Old 13-08-2005, 18:33   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I'm definately getting the collection but why is The Last Days of Pompeii part of it?
It's not, but it's part of the press release because it's from Kong directors Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, features effects from O'Brien, (even music cues from 'Kong') and is released at the same time as the set.
Old 13-08-2005, 19:23   #28
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
It's not, but it's part of the press release ...
I see, my mistake. Just waiting for the R1 pre-orders then.
Old 14-08-2005, 17:35   #29
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Meanwhile in R2...

King Kong SE - at Play.com for £9.99 on pre-order, or the King Kong Box Set at £23.99, details still TBA.

And in R4, EzyDVD has the King Kong SE tin, as an R4 exclusive, for under $30, here.
Old 14-08-2005, 19:27   #30
Spectre07
Trusted User

How come there aren't any R1 etailers listing any of these yet?
Old 18-08-2005, 17:06   #31
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
How come there aren't any R1 etailers listing any of these yet?
At Amazon US:

The King Kong Collection
King Kong CE Tin
King Kong
Old 25-08-2005, 13:29   #32
Guest 14814
Trusted User

Anyone know if King Kong '77 is being released as a SE?
I actually do like this film.

Guest 14814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 13:37   #33
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Nothing on the grapevine over here or in R1, but there is a French 2-disc SE available.
Old 25-08-2005, 13:40   #34
Guest 14814
Trusted User

Hmmm, that French set looks good but it's a shame the booklet is in French as I can't read it
Still, it's DTS in Englsih so I may still consider this if the price goes down a bit.
Guest 14814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 18:02   #35
Guest 2748
Trusted User

The french two-disc of the 1976 version has forced subtitles apparently. Great looking set but the subtitle issue has put me off. There is a R1 rerelease coming in the autumn (I wonder why) but no specs yet apart from some truly awful box art that was subsequently removed from the Paramount home video site.
Guest 2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 18:05   #36
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeld
There is a R1 rerelease coming in the autumn (I wonder why) but no specs yet apart from some truly awful box art that was subsequently removed from the Paramount home video site.
AFAIK the box art is (was) the only change, but you never know...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:38   #37
Guest 2922
Trusted User

R1 Collector's Tin & 4 Disc Collector's Set up for pre-order at Play.USA @ £17.99 each. Seems like a pretty decent price - especially for the 4 disc set.

Anyone heard any more details about the R2 releases listed at Play? Can't find them listed at the other main UK etailers except BLAH!, who have the Kong SE for £14.99! I've ordered the R1 set but I'm wondering how similar/different the UK release will be.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:10   #38
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Play.com also list the R2 with an RRP of £12.99 which seems a bit strange for a 2 disc set. Misprice ? Get the orders in now ?

Last edited by Bish; 01-09-2005 at 11:35.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 15:46   #39
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Play.com also list the R2 with an RRP of £12.99 which seems a bit strange for a 2 disc set. Misprice ? Get the orders in now ?
Even stranger, it's now down to £7.99. Uh-oh, my Spidey sense is tingling...*

Meanwhile here's a nice shot...

...of the tin and it's contents. I'm pretty sure that the mail in offer in the tin for the poster won't apply to us on this side of the pond though. And from DVD Talk, one chap has held same tin in his mitts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron
ok guys and gals....i have held in my hands the king kong tin. warner brothers had it on hand, and was happy to let me get fingerprints all over it. It is better than i expected. it has a swinging door style, the front cover artwork is embossed (stamped in 3-D) it is just enough to look and feel great without sticking out so far past the outer silver to make it akward. the back features the famous pose of kong (that appears on the box set cover). They told me, that i was holding the finalized version...you guys are going to love it.
EDIT - *And this is why. Both HMV (who have 'Kong' as a 2-disc SE, but no details of extras) and Sendit.com have it listed as coming from Universal. When it was listed earlier in the year at DVD Times, in a 'rumoured' list, as coming from Warners, it was some puzzle. Had some deal been done, then dashed? And what will Universal be dishing up? The same expectedly glorious transfer and extras? Or their own efforts? Stay tuned...

Last edited by John Hodson; 16-09-2005 at 16:14.
Old 16-09-2005, 18:27   #40
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Even stranger, it's now down to £7.99. Uh-oh, my Spidey sense is tingling...*...
I don't think Play honour misprices.