Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 29-08-2004, 20:37   #1
Guest 217
Banned

The cheesiest film scene ever?

Having just watched the 1978 Michael Caine 'classic' The Swarm, I started wondering if there were any more corny film scenes than the train swarm attack.

Casulty has based it's whole episode structure around this kind of cheese, but I'm wondering if any other films can out do it?

Trivia of the day: Michael Caine once said of The Swarm "sometimes when you have a very high standard of life, you need to make a very low standard of movie"
Guest 217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 20:49   #2
Guest 8607
La résistance est futile

Possibly the bit in the truly atrocious hip hop "drama" You Got Served where the two leads, who are lifelong friends, become mortal enemies because one of them didn't answer his phone and thus didn't "have his friend's back". Or possibly the bit later on in the same film where they decide to put their differences aside and be friends again after their little buddy gets tragically killed in a drive-by. (All cute young kids in hip hop films are only there to be tragically killed in drive-bys)
Guest 8607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 21:10   #3
earl_roberts2002

In KING KONG where that guy is kissing Fay Wray on the boat and the captain calls him and he turns around and says, "yes sir!" is sooooooooooooo cheesy. I can't really describe it too great though
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 21:17   #4
Guest 5804
Trusted User

Cinemas cheesiest moments - http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...076419,00.html

or this http://park.org/Netherlands/pavilion...e/making2.html

Last edited by tonytol; 29-08-2004 at 21:21.
Guest 5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 09:16   #5
Guest 15513
Trusted User

Pick any scene from Armaggedon.

Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 09:21   #6
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

There's a generic chees scene used in a lot of film, observed by me yesterday in the very ordinary Runaway Jury yesterday.

You've all seen bits like this, where in this instance Gen Hackman gives his team instruction early on in the film, telling them who they should be spying on/digging the dirt on.

He finishes telling them, they all look at him, and he says something like " Move people, this is what we're here for, this is what you do!" Cue purposeful music.

Now considering he'd been working with them for many years, does he say this eveytime they do a job? Wouldn't that be very annoying?

Gets used a lot that type of scene, blatantly cut for trailer inclusion.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 09:34   #7
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Ben Afflecks speech to Kate B in Pearl Harbour.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 10:52   #8
Guest 15513
Trusted User

The Empire list is full of cheese but the one scene which I think works very well is Officer and a gentleman's close. Cheesey maybe but also right.

Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 12:42   #9
Guest 5804
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefmcd
The Empire list is full of cheese but the one scene which I think works very well is Officer and a gentleman's close. Cheesey maybe but also right.

Ahh, it's cheesy because it's the movie scene that launched a thousand strip-o-grams
Guest 5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 13:32   #10
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Not just a block of cheese, but a full-strength cheese-selection, is The Wild Geese. I have an enormous affection for this movie, largely because it has world-class British character actors shamelessly and enthusiastically selling-out to an appalling script, riddled with mouse-cheese mould. But the likes of Burton, Harris and Moore somehow make the film not only extremely watchable, but very entertaining too. The GCSE-level approach to political dialogue makes me chuckle every time (especially the material featuring bigot-enacting Hardy Kruger). Producer Euan Lloyd attempted the same trick with Who Dares Wins post-1980 embassy seige, but failed. The Wild Geese, somehow, ends up being a half-decent movie because of all those stars' presence in it, making the cheese very palatable indeed...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 15:21   #11
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

"Who Dares Wins" is very, very funny though. Always cheers me up when I'm under the weather. It's a bad acting contest between usually good actors like Judy Davies and Edward Woodward and reliably awful actors like Lewis Collins and Kenneth Griffith.

SAS man seeing a light from a window.. "Looks like.... a signal!"

I also love the dialogue obviously written to stop the film appearing entirely fascist: "We must remember that the vast majority of these protestors are sincere, peaceful people."

Strange to reflect that this paen to the power of authoritarian government was written by the author of "Twelve Angry Men".
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 15:36   #12
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
"Who Dares Wins" is very, very funny though. Always cheers me up when I'm under the weather. It's a bad acting contest between usually good actors like Judy Davies and Edward Woodward and reliably awful actors like Lewis Collins and Kenneth Griffith.

I also love the dialogue obviously written to stop the film appearing entirely fascist: "We must remember that the vast majority of these protestors are sincere, peaceful people."

Strange to reflect that this paen to the power of authoritarian government was written by the author of "Twelve Angry Men".
I love Who Dares Wins... the synth score is fantastically dreadful and the shots of Collins running down embassy corridors (heroic low angle up folks) traced by SAS chappies...

...decent dvd please. The "avant garde" theatrical piece performed by Davis and her "minions" in the left-wingy mens' club is also memorable. Lewis promising someone a juicy kick in the doodads also provokes bellows of enthusiastic laughter.

Lewis Collins. The British Action Star that never was.

Last edited by anephric; 30-08-2004 at 19:41.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 15:37   #13
anephric
Kidney Thief

All of Titanic...

Any scene with the kid in Jerry Maguire.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 15:58   #14
Guest 26778
Idiot Baiter

Four Weddings & A Funeral...

The scene in the rain is cheesier than the toastie I'm currently demolishing for my dinner...
Guest 26778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 17:37   #15
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Any scene with the kid in Jerry Maguire.
that reminds me, any scene where Tom Cruise tries to be happy or joyful.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 17:42   #16
Guest 3216
gamertag: Squalid Snake

The Bruce Willis death scene in Armageddon, replete with classical music and shots of Liv on a swing etc. This scene actually had critics burst out laughing at the main press screening, causing Bruce to sulk throughout the post-screening interviews
Guest 3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 22:03   #17
Guest 17866
Babylon 5 Chief Engineer

Quite frankly I am astonished that this thread has mentioned that classic Cheese fest Commando!!

Also I ROTFLMAO at the simply awful Shimi Skywalker death scene on AOTC and indeed virtually every scene where Anakin is trying to charm his way into Amidala's knickers!
Guest 17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 23:30   #18
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike

I must confess to having seen Who Dares Wins only once, pretty much when it came out, but I'll make a bee-line for it asap, on your recommendation. My other recollection of the embassy seige is that the Kate Adie live news coverage interrupted a screening of Howard Hawks' Rio Lobo that I was thoroughly enjoying!

The Twelve Angry Men connection is something that I had missed. Amazing!
Old 31-08-2004, 08:04   #19
anephric
Kidney Thief

Star Trek II (Spock's funeral "at sea").

When Scotty starts braying on the pipes it always brings a tear to my eye (probably out of misery), and Kirk prattling on his humanistic dirge about "his was the most *choke up and yet still macho*... human."

Classic cheese.
Old 01-09-2004, 21:52   #20
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2002
Quite frankly I am astonished that this thread has mentioned that classic Cheese fest Commando!!

Also I ROTFLMAO at the simply awful Shimi Skywalker death scene on AOTC and indeed virtually every scene where Anakin is trying to charm his way into Amidala's knickers!
I'd second Commando. I ran it this evening, simply to remind myself of it. It's one of the better Arnie action movies from the point of narrative concision (there's not an ounce of fat on it), even if it has holes and preposterous dialogue. Pure entertainment, though...